This would be my valve cover gasket leaking? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-08-2017, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328CI
This would be my valve cover gasket leaking?

I Have noticed oil leak in this part of the engine and it's getting pretty bad to a point that needs changing. I just want to make sure this is the valve cover gasket, and not the head gasket before I order the parts. The two pics I have attached are just different angles.

Is my suspicion correct? is that where the valve cover gasket is located?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	706761   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	706769  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2017, 11:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
That IS indeed the Valve Cover Gasket. If the leak is where the circled area is on the photos, that is where the cover and gasket are fitted to the top of the head, and the oil will leak onto the exhaust manifold directly below, and smoke.

The engine is slanted to the right/passenger side of the vehicle. The exhaust manifolds are attached to the right side of the head, and the head gasket is BELOW the exhaust manifold, so if you can see it, it is NOT the head gasket. A had gasket almost NEVER leaks oil externally.

Your 2007 model has a plastic Valve Cover which can crack. You should remove the Engine Coil Cover and inspect the Valve cover on that side as carefully as you can. Check your Eccentric Shaft Sensor (Right-front of Valve Cover) for oil seepage while you have the coil cover off. Also be aware that the cover may be damaged during removal if you don't get everything out of the way properly -- see some of the videos about Valve Cover removal. Fiinally, inspect the removed cover carefully to make sure it is not cracked, and reinstall carefully with proper torque/sequence on the reusable bolts.

George
Old 11-08-2017, 11:48 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
That IS indeed the Valve Cover Gasket. If the leak is where the circled area is on the photos, that is where the cover and gasket are fitted to the top of the head, and the oil will leak onto the exhaust manifold directly below, and smoke.

The engine is slanted to the right/passenger side of the vehicle. The exhaust manifolds are attached to the right side of the head, and the head gasket is BELOW the exhaust manifold, so if you can see it, it is NOT the head gasket. A had gasket almost NEVER leaks oil externally.

Your 2007 model has a plastic Valve Cover which can crack. You should remove the Engine Coil Cover and inspect the Valve cover on that side as carefully as you can. Check your Eccentric Shaft Sensor (Right-front of Valve Cover) for oil seepage while you have the coil cover off. Also be aware that the cover may be damaged during removal if you don't get everything out of the way properly -- see some of the videos about Valve Cover removal. Fiinally, inspect the removed cover carefully to make sure it is not cracked, and reinstall carefully with proper torque/sequence on the reusable bolts.

George
yea, there is a lot of smoke at this point. specially if the car sits for a few days...

I'm buying these three parts from Amazon, these should be all I need I assume.

"BMW - genuine/factory original 6-Cylinder Valve Cover-Gasket for: E82, E88, E90, E91, E92, E93, E60, F10, E83, F25, E70, E85, E86, E89"

"BMW 6cyl (select 2007+ models) Eccentric Shaft Actuator Seal"

"BMW Genuine Cylinder Gasket For Valvetronic System Eccentric Shaft Sensor 528i 528xi X5 3.0si 128i X3 3.0i X3 3.0si Z4 3.0i Z4 3.0si Z4 3.0si 128i Z4 30i 323i 328i 328xi 323i 328i 328xi 328i 328xi 328i 328xi 328i 328xi 328i 328xi 328i 328i 528i X3 28iX"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2017, 12:13 AM

I've never had to replace my gasket or remove the Valve Cover yet, so you need to ask someone who has. However, I'm not sure about the 2nd & 3rd items you list.

Here's a link to the gasket, & Autohaus usually tells you when you need something else for the job:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...20Gasket%20Set

George
Old 11-30-2017, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:

George
Hello George,

Looks like I may have both the issues you described, definitely see oils stains as in the OPs 2nd picture but in addition I also see oil right on top and around the eccentric sensor gasket. So, if there are oil traces around the eccentric sensor seal, is that all I need to change to fix this issue?

Is there a scientific way to detect leak accurately for valve cover without spending time in opening the engine coil cover?

Many thanks!

Last edited by scorleo; 11-30-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: X5 e70 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorleo View Post
Hello George,

Looks like I may have both the issues you described, definitely see oils stains as in the OPs 2nd picture but in addition I also see oil right on top and around the eccentric sensor gasket. So, if there are oil traces around the eccentric sensor seal, is that all I need to change to fix this issue?

Is there a scientific way to detect leak accurately for valve cover without spending time in opening the engine coil cover?

Many thanks!

Practical way:
Degrease the engine and Braklean it to dry tonight. Drive it a few days. Inspect it daily. Once found the source, fix it.

Scientific way:
Take samples of your of VCG, and the leaked oil. Send it fir an analysis. Once they confirmed the presence of the same polymer in both, it is confirmed.

Ideal way:
Take the car to the dealer, and be ready for the pocket damage.

Not ideal way:

Wait another few weeks. Once leak extended and leaked oil deteriorated the belt, alternator, wiring harness and connections, and consequently the pulleys, hoses, e-fan, radiator and etc etc, then you WILL fix it ;-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2017, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328xi
Yes that is all that you need for the job. Roughly 6 hours start to finish. Plenty of writeups around that will be step by step guides to complete the job.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...230&highlight=

check that thread. i did mine. HUGE pain in the ass but if you have time, dont wanna pay 800 dollars for a dealer to do it, patience and know how to use basic hand tools you can do it. I think i remember not having the right DEEP WELL socket for a couple bolts and had to rig one up.. check that thread and youtube videos. its just a gasket but takes alot so good luck.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Hello George,

Many thanks!
Hi Scorleo/Neighbor,

I think Steve was replying to OP's 11/9 post, and no one has really answered your question. Best way I know to diagnose ANY leak (VCG, ESS or its gasket) is to remove the coil cover and inspect carefully. If the Eccentric Shaft Sensor gasket is leaking (or the sensor itself is failing as far as the seal around the wires) AFAIK you would have to remove the Valve Cover to replace either the ESS and/or its gasket. So you would need to replace the VCG gasket as well in that process.

ANYONE who has done this able to help?

BTW, I understand you are in Centreville area? I lived in Clifton area for 29 years and am now in Fairfax Station area (NOT as close ;-)

George
Old 12-01-2017, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
I ended up having the dealer change mine at 145,000. Yes it cost me $1100.00, but they also detailed the entire engine which now looks brand new. I just turned 149,000 on her and plan to keep it well over 200,000 and then some, so to me it was worth the expense since it's been paid off for 2 years. I DIY filters and plugs, but I give major props to those who have the patience and ability to do this on their own. Never liked the F30 so I will check out the G20 and make a decision then. Otherwise I will just keep it and get the wife a new X3!

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 12-01-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Hi Scorleo/Neighbor,

I think Steve was replying to OP's 11/9 post, and no one has really answered your question. Best way I know to diagnose ANY leak (VCG, ESS or its gasket) is to remove the coil cover and inspect carefully. If the Eccentric Shaft Sensor gasket is leaking (or the sensor itself is failing as far as the seal around the wires) AFAIK you would have to remove the Valve Cover to replace either the ESS and/or its gasket. So you would need to replace the VCG gasket as well in that process.

ANYONE who has done this able to help?

BTW, I understand you are in Centreville area? I lived in Clifton area for 29 years and am now in Fairfax Station area (NOT as close ;-)

George
Thanks George!

Looks like I do have some work cutout for me to detect the exact issue either with just VC gasket or entire VC and ES seal. I don't have any error codes yet regarding these issues.

I love Clifton area, I frequently drive via Clifton town to Woodbridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
I ended up having the dealer change mine at 145,000. Yes it cost me $1100.00, but they also detailed the entire engine which now looks brand new. I just turned 149,000 on her and plan to keep it well over 200,000 and then some, so to me it was worth the expense since it's been paid off for 2 years. I DIY filters and plugs, but I give major props to those who have the patience and ability to do this on their own. Never liked the F30 so I will check out the G20 and make a decision then. Otherwise I will just keep it and get the wife a new X3!
Agree, it's an optimal solution but $1100 is lot of dough these days, cash is tight lately; living only on wife's income is not easy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by swillkill View Post
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...230&highlight=

check that thread. i did mine. HUGE pain in the ass but if you have time, dont wanna pay 800 dollars for a dealer to do it, patience and know how to use basic hand tools you can do it. I think i remember not having the right DEEP WELL socket for a couple bolts and had to rig one up.. check that thread and youtube videos. its just a gasket but takes alot so good luck.
Thank you! I did go over the youtube video of 'Askthecarexperts' last night and I noticed it wasn't easy, will need gallons of Kool-Aid if I have to do this myself .
Old 12-01-2017, 07:49 AM

Trust me it sounds harder then it is. It's just tedious. You can have it off in little over 2 hours depending how fast you work. There is nothing complicated about it really. Just removing connectors and unscrewing things.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve111 View Post
Trust me it sounds harder then it is. It's just tedious. You can have it off in little over 2 hours depending how fast you work. There is nothing complicated about it really. Just removing connectors and unscrewing things.
Thanks for instilling confidence! I'm bit OCD , it takes me twice/thrice the time to complete any job

I may still give a shot because I can't afford paid service these days.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks for instilling confidence! I'm bit OCD , it takes me twice/thrice the time to complete any job

I may still give a shot because I can't afford paid service these days.

It is VERY easy! You definitely can do it.

Be methodical and get it done at a small fraction of the dealer cost.

I did the VCG twice! Can get it done in 2-3 hours now. And mine is an X5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2017, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
be prepared for these. you will need a deep well socket AND pray that your deep well sockets are deep enough because i have 2 different deep well sockets - one harbor frieght and one sears and neither were able to properly get all the way onto the nut AND connect a ratchet. i had to rig it with pliers and a wrench.

If someone knows of the BMW SUPER DEEP SOCKET please let me know

Old 12-01-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
be prepared for these. you will need a deep well socket AND pray that your deep well sockets are deep enough because i have 2 different deep well sockets - one harbor frieght and one sears and neither were able to properly get all the way onto the nut AND connect a ratchet. i had to rig it with pliers and a wrench.

Thanks for the tip, I have the one from HF so looks like I need to find another one
Old 12-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:

I used this deep socket and worked beautifully!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:40 PM

I don't recall ever thinking twice about those. As much as I can remember the 2 times I have done this I never had an issue getting those off with a regular deep socket.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve111 View Post
I don't recall ......... I never had an issue getting those off ......
The reason you never remembered it!!

I remember it too and actually I can share few tips:
1-Deep well 10mm socket (I had to go to part stor and get one in the middle of the job!
2-E- and T-torx set. My VVT pissed me off!!!
3- On my X5, there is a metal bracket with two E-torx screwed to the valve cover! No one had ever mentioned that bracket that needed to be removed in the DIYs or videos. It made me CRY!!!! real PITA! It wouldnot let me take off the valve cover ! and it was deep in the back of the engine. My back still hurts ;-) I eventually climbed on top of the engine, and then saw the darn torx!!! removed it and VC taken off like butter!!!!

However #3 probably does not apply to OP's car.

Last edited by AlphaBetaX5; 12-01-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:15 PM

Sounds like you guys need to invest in some better socket sets
Old 12-01-2017, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: ford f150 ecoboost, fusio
Just finished off mine, not fun. It has to be the worst job I've done on a car. Next is the oil pan gasket over the winter holidays and serpentine belt.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Delete: Saw #10 in subsequent post.

Last edited by scorleo; 12-03-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Excellent, excellent valve cover gasket DYI video here that walks you through every step with tips and tricks. Helped me out a lot when I did mine.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 12-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro6000 View Post
I Have noticed oil leak in this part of the engine and it's getting pretty bad to a point that needs changing. I just want to make sure this is the valve cover gasket, and not the head gasket before I order the parts. The two pics I have attached are just different angles.

Is my suspicion correct? is that where the valve cover gasket is located?
Yes, it is. I think this video is a better instruction. It show you how to fasten the bolts and what a good and bad gasket is. Clear and fast explanation.

How to replace: BMW Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Part 1 & 2

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search