On an unrelated note...towing and bicycle carriers? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:32 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '15 435i M Sport Convert.
On an unrelated note...towing and bicycle carriers?

Enough of my oil issue for now... I have purchased a Stealth Hitch for my BMW so I can either tow (a compact motorcycle trailer) or carry bicycles. The Stealth Hitches are substantially similar to the Invisihitch I see discussed here. They are well reviewed and are on sale for the holiday season. I have looked at the bike carriers designed to attach to a hitch. I'm familiar with the type that has a vertical post with arms at the top extending rearward in which bicycles rest in a cradle but I suspect that the post would impinge on the movement of the trunk lid when the roof was raising or lowering. The other variety of carrier, "tray" style I believe it's called, which extends rearward from the receiver and then has a crossmember with cradles for the tires would seem to be sufficiently out of the way (at least as long as a bicycle was not placed in the cradle closest to the car) to permit the top to be raised and lowered.

Anyone have experience with this? And/or with light duty towing with this vehicle? The trailer (a Stinger folding trailer) with my Heritage loaded wouldn't exceed 1000 lbs. gross weight and I understand that the car is rated to tow heavier weights.
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: VW Golf
following... looking to do a cargo carrier with the hitch from time to time but I can't find any data with the f31
Old 12-06-2017, 04:45 AM

Following up, a web search reveals that the car will tow 750 kgs with an unbraked trailer. Nothing in the US manual about towing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 04:50 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
I am pleased with my Draftmaster by ATOC.

In re bicycling; long before our BMW, we bicycled from Seabrook Island, SC, to New Smyrna Beach and back, 1200 miles in about three weeks.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 12-06-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
In re bicycling; long before our BMW, we bicycled from Seabrook Island, SC, to New Smyrna Beach and back, 1200 miles in about three weeks.
Now that is impressive!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 3 Series Wagon F31
I also ordered the Stealth Hitch (being delivered tomorrow).

The tray style bicycle carriers do not make any contact with the frame of the bicycle which is a big advantage IMO. No possibility of scratching the paint of the frame.

I I have owned a 1up-USA rack since 2013 and it has been rock solid for more than 6,000km of use. It has a tilt option which would allow enough clearance to open the trunk on a sedan. didnít even need to use the tilt feature on my previous car (non-BMW)

https://www.1up-usa.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search