Fumoto oil dump valve - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
Fumoto oil dump valve

has anyone used this drain valve,, curious that i cant remember the distance from the drain to the plastic cover
https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/f106sx.html

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: X5 e70 3.0i
I purchased it for my x5, it was not low profile as it is advertised. I thought I cannot lose my engine over a little comfort valve.

Too high (~2 inches of it would stick out of the plate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
I have one - F109S, but I think I may remove it on the next oil change..
Couple reasons :
1. Flow is slow - I could deal with this one as it rewards you with "easier" and cleaner change process but it takes like over 20 minutes... and when it looked like is done, I measured amount of oil drained and while I expected to see 6.5-7Q, it was less than 6Q.
Also it is but not that much easier - Still need to raise the car, put pan under, reach under to find this plug, put plastic tubing over the outlet and undo valve. And wait....................
Maybe you don't have to deal with hot and dirty oil over your hands but in terms of timing - you gain some time to start oil flow but overall time to drain via valve is 5-10x longer as compared to std method.

So here maybe the reason 2 (why it looked like not all of the oil came out)
2. I suspect that threaded part of the valve is longer than thickness of the oil pan threaded drain insert. So while it is not a problem with the plug because you remove it but since valve assembly actually stays in - it is likely it sticks out inside the oil pan and does not allow all oil to drain.

I am about due for the next change and this time I will let oil drain via the quick valve and than I will remove it to see if there is any oil left - I so, the valve is out..

Overall, as good as it sounded - I am not impressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 08:23 PM

Fumoto oil dump valve

The reason #2 is probably dissolved in that specific model OP linked. I can tell the threaded part of the valve was slightly shorter than the drain plug.

Ps. I always allow the oil drain overnight! Gravity at your service to remove EVERYTHING!

Last edited by AlphaBetaX5; 12-05-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323i
Looks like a valve an oil service place tried to get me to install to make it easier for them. They would pressurize the engine through the oil fill to help evacuate the oil.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:42 PM
short-throw dipstick

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
I use these on every other car of mine - just not my BMWs because they ride so low.

On other cars I can honestly say the $30 or so is worth it not to get that nasty spurt of oil when you let the drain plug plop out.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 323i
I really donít like anyone working on my girl, any of my automobiles. Seems like every time I make an exception, just makes more work for me later. I make sure the tire guys use hand tools and torque the lugs. I get it, I was young and knew it all, then I grew up and realized better.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaX5 View Post
The reason #2 is probably dissolved in that specific model OP linked. I can tell the threaded part of the valve was slightly shorter than the drain plug.

Ps. I always allow the oil drain overnight! Gravity at your service to remove EVERYTHING!

You must be joking with overnight oil drain?

I want that oil out as quickly as possible for at least 3 or even 4 reasons

1. when oil is warm/hot it flows easier and faster
2. faster it flows, more sludge is going to wash out
3, I want my car to be ready for use in no more than an hour.
4. I want to wash my hands, get my beer and be done with it. After all oil change is the easiest and simplest service in car.

If I have to crawl under the car for 2 consecutive days for the same reason I consider car broken.
If I mind having my hands dirty - I shouldn't be touching cars for the first place.

Last edited by Porando; 12-06-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 AM
short-throw dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porando View Post
If I have to crawl under the car for 2 consecutive days for the same reason I consider car broken.
Lol good one, I'm stealing this
Old 12-06-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightbrewery View Post
I use these on every other car of mine - just not my BMWs because they ride so low.

On other cars I can honestly say the $30 or so is worth it not to get that nasty spurt of oil when you let the drain plug plop out.
And that "nasty spurt of oil" is the only negative aspect of draining oil the old way... and if you use glove and have rug close by to wipe your hand - no problem.
Rest of the process steps on the other hand are only positive... you get all oil and sludge fast and when it's warm. Wipe the area screw you plug , refill and be done with it within 30 minutes or less.

I though the same back than that $30 is worth to make it "cleaner" and I am not sure if I still think that way..
Yeah, If I didn't have to bent my back - just kick the pan under the car with my foot, flip the valve from outside, get a beer or two while replacing filter ... may sound more appealing but the way it is now?

Last edited by Porando; 12-06-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I purchased it for my x5, it was not low profile as it is advertised. I thought I cannot lose my engine over a little comfort valve.

Too high (~2 inches of it would stick out of the plate)

I have also X5 with N62 engine where oil filter is under - next to oil drain plug..
And though I was considering it but for this car having valve just doesn't make any sens to me as to get filter out and back in is not less dirty than oil draining process itself.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
You must be joking with overnight oil drain?

I want that oil out as quickly as possible for at least 3 or even 4 reasons

1. when oil is warm/hot it flows easier and faster
2. faster it flows, more sludge is going to wash out
3, I want my car to be ready for use in no more than an hour.
4. I want to wash my hands, get my beer and be done with it. After all oil change is the easiest and simplest service in car.

If I mind having my hands dirty - I shouldn't be touching cars for the first place.

1-Irrelevant. Itís always preferable to drain a warm oil, regardless of the draining duration.

2- No. Particulate matters when in oil, require longer time to make their way to the drain hole. You flush it quickly, light weighed particles (if any) flush with the oil, but the metal or heavier particles remain.

3 and 4 are preference.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
1-Irrelevant. It's always preferable to drain a warm oil, regardless of the draining duration.

2- No. Particulate matters when in oil, require longer time to make their way to the drain hole. You flush it quickly, light weighed particles (if any) flush with the oil, but the metal or heavier particles remain.

3 and 4 are preference.

However if in cars with drain hole pointing straight down and short thread on new valve - everything will probably go down the drain, then in cars like E90 where drain is on the side - there is good chance that we will have some oil and "ugly stuff" ( which we want out )
left in the oil pan because now drain hole is in the best case raised by the thickness of the plug wall which is few mm..
So, unless the hole in the valve module is on same level as bottom of the oil pan - we will have new oil immediately contaminated with old sediment.

Different car but same problem.... So use your own judgement and risk.

Read myth #2 here.
Guy actually confirms that oil is not drained completely..

"When I removed the valve I was kinda of shocked by the amount of oil that was still in the oil pan. There was probably a good 10 second stream of oil that came out once the valve was removed. "

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ain-valve.html

UPDATE:

Changed oil today...
Actually opening valve was a pain in the butt as the valve happened to be on top and reaching and flipping it (hot) was so difficult that I had to unscrew it half turn to have valve accessible..
Took about 15 minutes to drain and after I removed the valve - there was still some oil flow but not much.
I just took it off and done with it...
Bottom line:
If I really wanted to keep it - it is doable but would have to add washer so valve stops on bottom seating tight and at the same time would get extra clearance inside so most of the oil drains..

Last edited by Porando; 12-07-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:24 AM
short-throw dipstick

Quote:
And that "nasty spurt of oil" is the only negative aspect of draining oil the old way... and if you use glove and have rug close by to wipe your hand - no problem.
Rest of the process steps on the other hand are only positive... you get all oil and sludge fast and when it's warm. Wipe the area screw you plug , refill and be done with it within 30 minutes or less.

I though the same back than that $30 is worth to make it "cleaner" and I am not sure if I still think that way..
Yeah, If I didn't have to bent my back - just kick the pan under the car with my foot, flip the valve from outside, get a beer or two while replacing filter ... may sound more appealing but the way it is now?
In all honesty, I started using them because I have two gen1 Honda Insights. Somebody on Insight Central figured out that a Fumoto valve is a nice "pan saver"; the Insights came with expensive magnesium pans that are prone to cracking and difficult to find a welder for. Let's face it, most people don't use a torque wrench when changing oil.

I've always used their regular, long-nipple valves because I just want to stick a piece of 3/8" ID vinyl tubing on there...if I used a low-profile/short-nipple valve I have to go through the hassle of attaching a little snap-on adapter, not worth it to me. TL; DR: on every car except my Insights, it's personal preference

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search