2008 BMW 335i Convertible Hardtop Problem! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-06-2017, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
2008 BMW 335i Convertible Hardtop Problem!

Okay so I'm really not a car guy and I have no clue what's going on with my car, but it's a big problem.

So I drive a 2008 335i convertible (used. I've had it for about 2 months now) and the hardtop doesn't want to move.

A couple of days ago, it was fine and the top could come down no problem. But a day later, I was getting a warning on my screen "Hardtop malfunction!" "Hardtop not locked!" WHILE the top was closed. And so I could not open or close the hardtop. Like it would be stuck in the closed position. I'd hold down the button to open or close it, but the same warning would pop up and the thing would not move. Another day later, I started up the car and the message stopped appearing so I tried to open the hardtop but the same message ("Hardtop malfunction!") popped up. I tried using the key fob to open it but it wouldn't work. I also tried using the physical key and put it in the door handle and it wouldn't work.

So another day later, the top opened, but wouldn't complete it, like it would stop halfway and then the message "Hardtop malfunction!" would pop up again. I lubed up all the hinges and joints that I could see and left it for another day. I attempted everything to try and open it up, but the hardtop wouldn't move.

I'm currently stuck here with the top stuck halfway (the roof is stacked with the trunk partially opened) and now it won't move an inch.

I'm not sure what type of problem this would be, like a sensor or battery thing, but I would appreciate the input on this situation.

What should I do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 E93 335 & '13 F10 528
Do a search on this forum for "salmon relays" and start from there.

"Mods": Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Smartop. Tune2Air WMA3000B. Lux H8 180 Angel Eyes. #sostockithurts
Old 12-07-2017, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Salmon relays...

Have the same car and was experiencing the same issue. Being stuck halfway. Ordered 2 salmon relays from amazon for around $30. Replacement is very easy as they are located in the trunk. Youtube has a vid on how to replace.

Start there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Alright so I went out and got some new relays, then I replaced my old ones with them. However, the problem still remains.
I think it's a sensor thing because I held open the trunk part (I know that I really shouldn't do this) while holding down the convertible button and the roof began to operate until a certain point.

When opening the hardtop, the roof can open all the way, but it will stop just before the trunk can close and it will be inoperable again.

When opening it, the roof comes out of the trunk (with my assistance by holding open the trunk) and then the roof comes out halfway and stacked, then it stops there.

I think it has something to do with the trunk because it operates when I'm holding it open.
So right now I have no idea what to do.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water View Post
Alright so I went out and got some new relays, then I replaced my old ones with them. However, the problem still remains.
I think it's a sensor thing because I held open the trunk part (I know that I really shouldn't do this) while holding down the convertible button and the roof began to operate until a certain point.

When opening the hardtop, the roof can open all the way, but it will stop just before the trunk can close and it will be inoperable again.

When opening it, the roof comes out of the trunk (with my assistance by holding open the trunk) and then the roof comes out halfway and stacked, then it stops there.

I think it has something to do with the trunk because it operates when I'm holding it open.
So right now I have no idea what to do.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I don't have any suggestion for you but I had these mysterious behaviors on at least 3 occasions in last couple of years. I did not spend time to diagnose the issue, interestingly they go away when I tried operating the following day therefore I didn't spend my valuable time diagnosing the issue. I know someday it's going to bite me and I'll be here as well trying to find the solution .

Good luck and I hope you are able to nail it down.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3(euro),E39,E46
There are two rubber stubs about the size of a small coin that are situated under these two plastic levers that lean against the two sensors when this luggage limiter is down in the lowering position. If these stubs are missing OR if they don't lean neatly against the corresponding receptor sensors at the bottom, the system might not allow the roof movement.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3(euro),E39,E46
Here's where..[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171208_183534.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	728241  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search