Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: '89 325iS
Unhappy heavy steering at certain points in steering wheel rotation

hello,

last week the steering on my e30 325is developed a 'heavy zone' ie. when the wheel is turned 90 degrees (or so) it feels as if the power assist has died, push it a little further and it loosens up again, but once 180 degrees (or so) is reached it becomes heavy again.

i suspect that the steering column u-joint (knuckle or whatever it's called) has developed a tight spot, as one of the four joins looks dry and there is some damage around it's periphery. i'm not entirely sure how this happened. i had my buddies hoist it to remove any suspension variables, manually rotating the steering assembly at the joint produced the same effect as turning the wheel.

where should i go from here? i got a price at my local import shop for a replacement column u-joint assembly: it's ~ $600 (cad) as they stated it to be one piece (i can only hope that that includes the core charge), but it looks to me that it can be disassembled, maybe to the point where i can replace just the joint.

or can i simply grease it? it doesn't appear to have a grease fitting (it's kinda small).

don't get me wrong, i've had this car for a long time and i love it, but i'm a student and $600 +tax is just too much.

please advise,

axel
Ads by Google
Old 04-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Two E30s and a ZHP sedan
I've had the same problem for many years ('87 325is). It goes away in warm weather. If you figure out what exactly is wrong and/or how to fix it inexpensively, please post a reply here or send me a PM. Thanks and good luck...

Mark
Old 04-07-2005, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 89/94 325is 02 325i 05mcs
dumb question- have you checked your p.s. fluid?
Old 04-08-2005, 08:36 AM

hello,

'there's no such thing as a dumb question, just a dumb answer'... as the saying goes

the ps fluid was the first thing to be checked, it's a third of the way up from the lower notch (seems to be where it likes to sit). i'll top it up and see what happens.

thanks for the input, keep 'em coming.

axel
Old 04-10-2005, 01:18 AM

Mein Auto: '89 325is
Heavy steering, it could be...

Blown out strut mount/bearing assy.I personaly havent seen one blow out and im on my 3rd e30, but they have worn out enough to effect the steering. undefined
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelgreasemonke
hello,

last week the steering on my e30 325is developed a 'heavy zone' ie. when the wheel is turned 90 degrees (or so) it feels as if the power assist has died, push it a little further and it loosens up again, but once 180 degrees (or so) is reached it becomes heavy again.

i suspect that the steering column u-joint (knuckle or whatever it's called) has developed a tight spot, as one of the four joins looks dry and there is some damage around it's periphery. i'm not entirely sure how this happened. i had my buddies hoist it to remove any suspension variables, manually rotating the steering assembly at the joint produced the same effect as turning the wheel.

where should i go from here? i got a price at my local import shop for a replacement column u-joint assembly: it's ~ $600 (cad) as they stated it to be one piece (i can only hope that that includes the core charge), but it looks to me that it can be disassembled, maybe to the point where i can replace just the joint.

or can i simply grease it? it doesn't appear to have a grease fitting (it's kinda small).

don't get me wrong, i've had this car for a long time and i love it, but i'm a student and $600 +tax is just too much.

please advise,

axel
Old 04-19-2005, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: E46 330i / E34 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoy73
Blown out strut mount/bearing assy.I personaly havent seen one blow out and im on my 3rd e30, but they have worn out enough to effect the steering. undefined

Had that problem on my iX.
I sprayed a ton of HS2000 on the joint and the stiffness and binding went away.
That was 6 months ago and not a single peep since...
Old 04-19-2005, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: Two E30s and a ZHP sedan
what's HS2000?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330i / E34 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in TX
what's HS2000?

Wurth's adhesive lubricant.
It sprays on thin, penetrates and then turns to a thick grease.
Works really well.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:54 AM

well this is kinda strange...

two days ago the heaviness just went away, and my steering is back and feeling great!

the only thing i did was spray, of all useful things, wd40 on the u-joint (this was well over a week ago). i simply refuse to believe that that could fix it, but i have no other explanation.

i hope i don't jinx her, but i had to share the good news.

axel