Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoc1
I agree that driving schools will give you the skills described above. However, as I started this thread, I have been riding motorcycles most of my life with a fair amount of track day (not racing) time. So these concepts (following the line, late corner entry, trail braking, etc...) aren't new. From what I read here, an exhaust and cold air intake are about the only things which will give a noticible improvement in performance and even that is going to be negligible.
FI?

2004 BMW 330i • 6MT • Orient Blue Metallic • Sand Leather • Black Cube Trim • ZHP • ZCW
Old 04-27-2005, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
cold air intake

I am in the same situation. I want to increase HP aswell. I am new to this forum, and I am getting some good info. Does anyone know which company is better for cold air intake.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Look at the Benfer Performance CAI. They have a special price for Bimmerfest.com members, from what I hear. I have one in my 530i and I think it is the same model for 3'ers too. I love it and definitely noticed a difference on my car - throttle response is much improved as is the sound.

It's very light carbon fiber, straight with only 2 bends, same diameter over the whole length of the pipe and it's as big as the part of the stock intake that it connects to, no reducer. And most importantly it puts the filter behind the bumper and gets the air from there, not under the hood like some others. IMO, those are all the qualities of a true CAI.

As others have mentioned, weight savings is a big plus, even a hundred pounds of savings is a big deal. Lightweight wheels and tires can save you some weight, an aftermarket exhaust, lose the spare tire.

IMO, $2000 for 30-35 rwhp is a bit pricey, but that gain is going to be pretty noticable - if you actually get that. I drove a 528 before I got my 530 and there's about 35hp more in the 530 (at the crank) and I find this car much more responsive than the 528. After adding the CAI the fun just got better. I never did do an exhaust, but on the E39 I hear getting one would save a good bit of weight.

I overheard a vendor at Bimmerfest this past weekend recommending the AFE intake over the GruppeM version. He said AFE flows better. I don't think either of them take the air from behind the front bumper, so I am not so sure "cold air" is what they're getting to the engine.

From what I've seen of the E46 intake system the air path is pretty direct with the air coming from the area around the grills. Seems like it would be cold to me. What's funky about the factory intake is the bends and changes in size of the air path. The one on my 5'er is really funny looking. I have some pics of it vs the Benfer here. There's lots of bends, different diameters, reducers, kinda crazy really. The benfer is simple, well made, and gets my engine the cold air.

Hope this helps. I'd check out http://www.benferperformance.com and ask about the Bimmerfest.com price, see if it's within your budget and give it a shot. I know their CAIs are quite a bit less expensive than AFE and GruppeM.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 04-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Quote:
Ok, what I'm looking for is something to make my 325 a little snappier on the street. I'm not looking to win races and I'm not looking for a complete tuner overhaul. What I want to know is, has anyone done any simple modifications to their 325's to give them a little more oomph but which won't violate the warranty, tear up the engine, etc...

I'm not looking for specific DIY info here, just some opinions on what some people have done to their cars.

Thanks,

Jaydoc
i guess it depends on what you call a little more oomph...i know this thread has been focused on increasing power...but there are alot of ways to make the car a little more snappier without spending lots of cash for minimal returns....upgrade wheels & tires to lighter rims and tires reducing the unsprung mass, drop the spare, upgrade suspension etc....the money you spend on these items would probably return more satisfaction than increasing the hp by 35hp...at least that's my .02
Old 04-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 E46 328Ci Bright Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr530i
From what I've seen of the E46 intake system the air path is pretty direct with the air coming from the area around the grills. Seems like it would be cold to me. What's funky about the factory intake is the bends and changes in size of the air path.
Don't forget, too, that the aerodynamics of the air intake is very important, so a straight tube is not necessarily optimal. Turbulence and resonance frequencies affect how air gets into the engine at various RPMs. And CAI mods assume that the air intake is the limiting breathing factor in an engine. For the M52TU, that is definitely not the case. There are objective ways of measuring the efficacy of various intakes:

1. Shawn Fogg documents his method of using an OBD scan tool and the mass airflow meter here:

http://www.ackthud.net/shawnfogg/

Looking at the 330ci's results for example: a CAI could help only if you revved to redline. And that assumes the new CAI doesn't screw up the lower RPMs.

2. Use a water manometer, as this thread documents for the E30 M20 and various filters and air box mods:

http://www.mail-archive.com/bmwuucdi.../msg04762.html

Look near the bottom of the page for an email with the subject line containing "airbox research, gone scientific". Use the Date arrows at the top of the page to follow the thread over the next few digests. The M20's intake's snorkel is also discussed; it's an aerodynamic tweak for optimizing the airflow.

--Andre
Old 04-28-2005, 12:03 AM
German Car Fan

Mein Auto: '02 330i
On the subject of intakes, K&N just came out with a new one. Here is a link to one of the board sponsors:
http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...46%2Dintake015

On the more serious side, Kelleners has a nice upgrade kit:
Motor Kit Package
Engine Performance Upgrade Motor Kit
1. Special KS Racing Camshafts Replacement
2. Upgraded engine: ECU optimization
3. Removes electronic top speed limiter
4. Increased Rev Limit

Engine HP Gain: +25
Torque Gain: +25
Retail Price: $2400

http://www.kellenersusa.com/index.php

M5Board did an article where they visited Kelleners in Germany (along with other tuners).
http://www.m5board.com/articles.php?id=28
Not much of a read though...

HTH
Old 04-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Achtun*, Spitfire!

Mein Auto: '93 E30 318is Touring
IMHO, you might find TDs in a car a bit boring after bikes. Power to weight ratio is so much lower, you have those wide tires, you have to pay much less attention to traction, there's a lot less physical effort (none of that lower body stuff to keep the weight off your arms, etc.), you're insulated from the environment, and you aren't going to get dehydrated from wearing 1.6mm of dead cow, back protector, gloves, boots, and the inevitable long underwear so you can avoid the inevitable jumping-up-and-down-dance-of-getting-my-arm-out-of-this-damn-suit.

You may find that even though an intake doesn't get you any power, it improves throttle response a bit and that's enough of a difference. Exhaust is likely to be chiefly about more noise. (Says the guy with the pointless Moriwaki half-system ) At least that's my gut instinct. Cheaper than an exhaust as well, and easier to remove.

Quote:
I agree that driving schools will give you the skills described above. However, as I started this thread, I have been riding motorcycles most of my life with a fair amount of track day (not racing) time. So these concepts (following the line, late corner entry, trail braking, etc...) aren't new. From what I read here, an exhaust and cold air intake are about the only things which will give a noticible improvement in performance and even that is going to be negligible.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:30 AM
Achtun*, Spitfire!

Mein Auto: '93 E30 318is Touring
So basically you up the redline and then alter lift, duration, ignition and fuelling to move the power curve a bit further up? But at what point do M54s (as opposed to S54s, for example), go pop? And what happens under 2500 rpm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetEngWiz
On the subject of intakes, K&N just came out with a new one. Here is a link to one of the board sponsors:
http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...46%2Dintake015

On the more serious side, Kelleners has a nice upgrade kit:
Motor Kit Package
Engine Performance Upgrade Motor Kit
1. Special KS Racing Camshafts Replacement
2. Upgraded engine: ECU optimization
3. Removes electronic top speed limiter
4. Increased Rev Limit

Engine HP Gain: +25
Torque Gain: +25
Retail Price: $2400

http://www.kellenersusa.com/index.php

M5Board did an article where they visited Kelleners in Germany (along with other tuners).
http://www.m5board.com/articles.php?id=28
Not much of a read though...

HTH
Old 04-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by norihaga
So basically you up the redline and then alter lift, duration, ignition and fuelling to move the power curve a bit further up? But at what point do M54s (as opposed to S54s, for example), go pop? And what happens under 2500 rpm?
I agree....with these mods, you`re just creating a more highly-strung grenade that has even *less* streetability than you began with. The only sensible answer is: more displacement....someone needs to come out with an increased bore-and-stroke kit for these engines. Does anyone on this forum know what the physical limitations are for the 3.0?

Regards,
Bob