Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-30-2005, 05:50 AM
2004 325XI

Send a message via AIM to solsurfr Send a message via MSN to solsurfr
Mein Auto: 2004 325XI
infant car seat? any recommendations?

Hey all,

I have a little one due in August. I tried searching the forums but couldn't find much on recommendations for a car seat for the e46. So I ask, what do you guys/gals use and what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

European Delivery - 2004 325XI, Black Saphirre, Sand Leather, CWP, Moonroof, Xenon, Pwr Seats, Computer w/Navi, Sirius Satellite Radio
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2005, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Congrats and best wishes.

Went through this several years ago; mine is now about 95 lbs and won't fit in the car seat anymore.

My advice is always buy new, from a reputable supplier, and make sure to follow the installation instructions . Valuable cargo.

Good luck!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
General tip.

All I can say, from a very general perspective, is that Graco is better than Evenflo. Smarter design, better parts, less frustrating.

Quick example: I have an Evenflo car seat where the shoulder strap has enough wiggle room in the buckle to spin around many times. So when it's time to buckle in your 1 year old, you first have to un-spin the belt within the too-loose buckle before snapping it in. That's too much time if you're in a busy parking area or if your little one is squirming. That's just one detail, the more I look at the Evenflo the more I hate it. I wish we had bought Graco just like our stroller/carrier/base system. Graco is sturdier and yet lighter, and more well thought out.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Ich bin ein Bimmerer

Mein Auto: 04 ZHP/4
Here's one I started a while back:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68681

I went with the Graco Snugride for the infant rear-facing option. They don't last too long if your baby is remotely tall, but they are great. I mounted mine in the center position, and it works fine. I keep my seatback pretty straight up, for safety reasons (whiplash prevention) and it works. This also helps the baby seat clear the car seat with the handle back, even when the car seat is fairly far back (I'm a hair over 6'1"). I have found that the front of the seat base, which is toward the back of the car when rear-facing, does sit a touch low. I have heard that a great thing to build the base up with is an old pair of jeans (vice a towel) since the denim doesn't compress easily.

My little girl is not going to be in this seat too much longer, and from here I plan to go with the Britax Maraton; they have one that matches my interior (damn vanity!) and I hear they still fit in the E46 in rear-facing config while having the longevity to convert into a front-facing and belt-positioned seat up to either 60 or 80 lbs. Not too shabby, and better than buying an additional in between seat.

Congrats!! Fatherhood rocks.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSPDiver

My little girl is not going to be in this seat too much longer, and from here I plan to go with the Britax Maraton; they have one that matches my interior (damn vanity!) and I hear they still fit in the E46 in rear-facing config while having the longevity to convert into a front-facing and belt-positioned seat up to either 60 or 80 lbs. Not too shabby, and better than buying an additional in between seat.

Congrats!! Fatherhood rocks.
I'm in about the same position! We bought a snugride and our daughter is now getting to the height limit and we are about to buy a Britax convertible. However, I think we are going with the Roundabout, because I have heard that the Marathon in the rear facing position is a pretty tight squeeze in a 3er

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Ich bin ein Bimmerer

Mein Auto: 04 ZHP/4
Thanks for the heads-up! I do plan to cruise the Babies-R-Us and do a test fit of the various seats, which I think is an invaluable service provided and should be exploited by everyone nearing this extremely important purchase.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Mein Auto: Z4MCoupe, 550 GT, 840Ci
After you're done with the infant carrier system (they're great), definitely step up to the Britax Marathon. We've got one in my E46 touring, my mother-in-law's E60, and in the wife's Touareg. The adjustable base of the Britax, solid construction, and good components make it worth the Babies-R-Us price of $250.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:15 AM

no space issues with the Marathon?

I assume you have it rear facing in the center?

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSPDiver
Here's one I started a while back:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68681

I went with the Graco Snugride for the infant rear-facing option. They don't last too long if your baby is remotely tall, but they are great.
Same here. Bought a couple of extra bases so we didn't have to reinstall when moving from car to car (one spare--they're cheap). Used latch to install.

BTW, it even fitst in the back of a cabrio, although passenger has to be all the way forward, and getting the bucket it requires some twisting and turning.

We kept her in it until one year, when we went forward facing, Britax roundabout.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanning machine

We kept her in it until one year, when we went forward facing, Britax roundabout.
was she only 26 inches at one year? that's the height limit for the snugride
Old 04-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Slacker

Mein Auto: 9A1
Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb
I'm in about the same position! We bought a snugride and our daughter is now getting to the height limit and we are about to buy a Britax convertible. However, I think we are going with the Roundabout, because I have heard that the Marathon in the rear facing position is a pretty tight squeeze in a 3er
Get a bigger car
We did the snug ride/Britax route. I have a different seat in my car, I think any seat is a snug fit in the rear of an E46 especially a coupe However the E39 accomodates car seats very well and mine has LATCH points on both sides.

Old 05-01-2005, 05:28 AM
2004 325XI

thanks for all the replies. I think my wife added the britax roundabout to our registry. Hopefully, it works well for us. Thanks again.

European Delivery - 2004 325XI, Black Saphirre, Sand Leather, CWP, Moonroof, Xenon, Pwr Seats, Computer w/Navi, Sirius Satellite Radio
Old 05-01-2005, 06:00 AM
3 pedals only!

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Carbon Black
Sorry to put my two cents in late, but we went eith the Britax as well, and have been very pleased with it.

However, it is darn near impossible to fit it in the E46 in rear facing mode. It can be done, but the passenger had better not mind riding with their knees in the dashboard.

Our solution to this problem is called a Honda Odyssey. For a minivan, the handling is pretty darn impressive, andit has enough power to humble a few SUV drivers with some excess testosterone.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: Suburban
Britax car seats are the best out there at this time. They have great customer service, and you can buy some cool seat covers from them.

Michael
Old 05-01-2005, 06:57 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msnowdon
Britax car seats are the best out there at this time. They have great customer service, and you can buy some cool seat covers from them.

Michael
My kids just outgrew their Roundabouts; I replaced them with a pair of Recaros. The build quality is outstanding.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:52 PM
2004 325XI

this is the one we registered for. good choice? roundabout convertible.

Old 05-01-2005, 06:43 PM
3 pedals only!

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Carbon Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsurfr
That's the same one we have. We're quite happy with it.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: '07 530i
The May issue of Consumer Reports has a review of infant/toddler car seats. FWIW, we have the Britax Marathon which when rear-facing, forces the front seat to an uncomfortably upright and forward position in the E46 (did not try the center position b/c we have 2 kids). Consumer Reports did state that when rear-facing, the Marathon tilted forward at slightly higher than 33 mph (the Federal standard) when attached to the LATCH system. The Roundabout was the 2nd highest rated seat so you can't go wrong there.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
We've got a little guy on the way and just registered for the Peg Perego stroller and the matching infant car seat. I think its called Primo Viaggio or something like that.....wife picked it out after doing research and talking to her girlfriends with kids. Its Italian and will be riding part-time in my German automobile....go figure!

http://www.pegperego.com/

Old 05-02-2005, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325it
Ditto on the Britax roundabout. One of the nice things about the Britax seats are the ease of removing the fabric cover when you will inevitably need to wash them after the kid has their 'moment'...

We also have a Britax Star Riser and a Recaro Start seat. The Recaro is in the larger car since it's a BIG seat compared to the Star Riser.

-travis
Old 05-02-2005, 12:37 PM
IRIX Rocks!

Send a message via Yahoo to dlloyd1975
Mein Auto: 325iT Schlampenschlepper
We had the Graco SnugRide while the tyke could squeeze into it (at 10lbs 12oz at birth, it didn't last too long). It was OK, but the distance between the LATCH points in the center seat was too great to use the LATCH system. The center belt worked out well, though, so no worries there. I did notice that after a few months, it really seemed like the latches for the car seat were starting to stick, so I believe we'll investigate the Britax infant seat next time around.

We went with the Marathon for the convertable seat, and for seven months the front passenger really got the short end of the stick. Both way forward and way upright. Now that the seat is front facing, everyone is much happier. Given that, I think that the roundabout is a better choice in the 3 series if you're going to have it rear facing.

The Shaggin' Wagon
2003 Gray Green 325iT, PP, SP, CW, HK, Sand 'Ette
Old 05-02-2005, 01:51 PM
2004 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlloyd1975
We had the Graco SnugRide while the tyke could squeeze into it (at 10lbs 12oz at birth, it didn't last too long). It was OK, but the distance between the LATCH points in the center seat was too great to use the LATCH system. The center belt worked out well, though, so no worries there. I did notice that after a few months, it really seemed like the latches for the car seat were starting to stick, so I believe we'll investigate the Britax infant seat next time around.

We went with the Marathon for the convertable seat, and for seven months the front passenger really got the short end of the stick. Both way forward and way upright. Now that the seat is front facing, everyone is much happier. Given that, I think that the roundabout is a better choice in the 3 series if you're going to have it rear facing.
Thanks! I hope so!

Old 05-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Using SPF 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. bono
was she only 26 inches at one year? that's the height limit for the snugride
I don't remember exactly. She had gotten too big for it (maybe 28", but whatever, her feet were cramped), so we installed the roundabout. Since it was about one year (mebbe 11 mos.), we put it forward facing, rather than reinstalling in a month or so.

BTW, she lived.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Using SPF 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by solsurfr

That's the same fabric as we have. It may be one of the few tolerable patterns in all of carseat-dom.