Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

View Poll Results: Which Colgan Bra for my Carbon M3 Coupe
Classic Black 10 100.00%
New Carbon Fiber Look 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Colgan Bra - which one?

OK, my Carbon Black/Cinammon M3 Coupe delivery is RSN. I'm about to order a Colgan Bra but can't decide between standard black or the new carbon fiber look.

What do you think?

I'm only going to use this for road trips since I really don't have problems with rock chips otherwise (at least not in 3 years on my Sapphire Black 5er). It's a lease so I don't want to spend the money on a clear bra.

Last edited by RaceTripper; 04-15-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Don't like them..never had....Bras commonly leave scuff marks..and if not taken off very often will result in a permanent fade line, years down the road...Plus, they're flat out ugly...Chips from rocks can be touched up, and really all the chips from rocks on nearly all my past vehivles were generally above where a bra would cover(windshield)...and I barely let dirt settle on the car, so I don't worry about bugs ruining the paint..

So my advice...use wax..it works wonders..
Old 04-15-2005, 02:37 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Colgan sent me a swatch of the carbon material...all I did was call and ask. When my wife saw it she likened the pattern to a wicker basket.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Don't like them..never had....Bras commonly leave scuff marks..and if not taken off very often will result in a permanent fade line, years down the road...Plus, they're flat out ugly...Chips from rocks can be touched up, and really all the chips from rocks on nearly all my past vehivles were generally above where a bra would cover(windshield)...and I barely let dirt settle on the car, so I don't worry about bugs ruining the paint..

So my advice...use wax..it works wonders..
The only time I will use the bra is on road trips. Put it on before leaving, take it off when arriving. I'm aware of the problems with improper/excessive use. It will really just be used for longer highway trips. So at the most, it'll be on for a day at a time, and typically for maybe 4-5 hours.

Waxing, etc. will be done regardless. I'm still deciding whether to stick with Zymol Carbon or try something else (I have a bottle of Meguiars #26 Hi-tech Yellow).

Last edited by RaceTripper; 04-15-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:40 PM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Send a message via MSN to sunnykk Send a message via Yahoo to sunnykk
Mein Auto: 05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette
OK, my Carbon Black/Cinammon M3 Coupe delivery is RSN. I'm about to order a Colgan Bra but can't decide between standard black or the new carbon fiber look.

What do you think?

I'm only going to use this for road trips since I really don't have problems with rock chips otherwise (at least not in 3 years on my Sapphire Black 5er). It's a lease so I don't want to spend the money on a clear bra.
I would not put a bra. You get a fading of the paint over time and no matter what you do, you can never get that back to the original color.

Clear bra is the way 2 go
OEM: Alarm, Universal Trainsmitter, I-Pod, Mud Flaps; After Market: Clear Bra, 3M-Tint-27%, Passport 8500X-Hard Wired
DIY: Euro Tray, Al Foot-pedals & Foot-rest, ULO Front & Rear Clears, Clutch Stop, De-badged

Old 04-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Go for basic black, especially if you have a black M3. I have the black (no emblem cutout, no license cutout) and use it only for freeway roadtrips. I haven't had any problems with scuff marks or fades, but to leave it on indefinitely would be just plain stupid. It's not hard to put on/take off, and my car is always clean and Zaino'd before hand. Personally I can't take rock chips so for me a front full nose mask is a must.

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 04-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Go for basic black, especially if you have a black M3. I have the black (no emblem cutout, no license cutout) and use it only for freeway roadtrips. I haven't had any problems with scuff marks or fades, but to leave it on indefinitely would be just plain stupid. It's not hard to put on/take off, and my car is always clean and Zaino'd before hand. Personally I can't take rock chips so for me a front full nose mask is a must.

--J.
Thanks J.

I finally talked to Colgan later today, and they said the CB look bra has a silver like shimmer to it in the light, so that pretty much settles me on getting the classic black.

I'll get the full 2 piece bra, no license plate opening, but with headlamp washer opening.

Do you have the mirror bras? I think I'll get them too.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Hated by hater haters

Is there a good place to get the bras online that's cheaper than the Colgan web site? And one competant enough to send the correct one for my car.

Thx...

Dean
Old 04-16-2005, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe
I've always used Colgan bras....I love them for trips. I always take it off if it's raining but I have used it in the rain with no paint problems. I also have the mirror bras. As for the clear bra (X-Pel, or whatever it's called), I had it on one of my BMW's and got tired of people asking me what happened to my hood?...."There's a big scratch across the hood". The clear film helps with rock chips but you just end up with a bunch of clear plastic chips after a while. For the best protection...Colgan bras will stop most rocks.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Padawan

Quote:
Do you have the mirror bras? I think I'll get them too.
No, but thanks for reminding me... I need to get a pair!

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 05-02-2005, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 00 Z3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
No, but thanks for reminding me... I need to get a pair!

--J.
Ordered mirror covers with bra, VERY unhappy with fit on mirrors, sent back, no hassle refund from the nice girl at Colgan. Nose bra fit was/is great.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99flhr
Ordered mirror covers with bra, VERY unhappy with fit on mirrors, sent back, no hassle refund from the nice girl at Colgan. Nose bra fit was/is great.
Glad the bra worked out. Thanks for the tip on the mirror covers... I'll probably pass since I wouldn't use them that often anyway. Also I agree; proper fit is a major concern for me as well. let's see some pics of the bra on your car!

--J.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99flhr
As it happens, I just ordered the front and mirror bras this weekend, and it shipped today. I'll see how the fit works out for the mirrors. If it's not perfect it won't be that big a deal, since my plan is to only use them for road trips: put it on, drive, remove when I get there.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
I resently purchased a Colgan bra myself. Everyone told me it would be really tight. It is REALLY tight, but it will go on. Here is a link that I found that might help you out.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=4291538345
Old 05-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-SD
I resently purchased a Colgan bra myself. Everyone told me it would be really tight. It is REALLY tight, but it will go on. Here is a link that I found that might help you out.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=4291538345
Can't see this.

I hate when images are hosted where you have to join to see, which I won't do.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Quote:
Can't see this.

I hate when images are hosted where you have to join to see, which I won't do.
I hate that too. They are not my images though and I already had an imagestation acct. You might want to save the link for when your bra arrive though. The are a lot of good installation pictures. From all angles...

Just trying to help.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Hated by hater haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-SD
...Just trying to help.
Oh I know you were. Thanks.

I wasn't complaining against you, just the practice in general of having to join all kinds of crap everywhere.