Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Novice Auto-X will be a go and some skidpad time. Got it. Thanks guys
Old 05-03-2005, 06:47 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
The big thing is to get some skidpad time.
The Skip Barber two-day school gives you at least a half day, each day, on a skid pad, a real one with water and a high powered rear drive pick up truck with bald rear tires.

Quote:
I haven't spun a car without meaning to in a LONG time. Catching oversteer is easy, deliberately maintaining a slide isn't.)
Well, then, you're a better driver than most, radial tires can be notoriously unpredictable once their slip angles have been compromised; you may think you've corrected just fine only to have the tire snap back to its preferred "shape"; energy released can send the tail violently in the other direction and before you know it, you're tail is wagging back and forth........you're a passenger at that point.

Ed
Old 05-03-2005, 06:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT
The Skip Barber two-day school gives you at least a half day, each day, on a skid pad, a real one with water and a high powered rear drive pick up truck with bald rear tires.

Well, then, you're a better driver than most, radial tires can be notoriously unpredictable once their slip angles have been compromised; you may think you've corrected just fine only to have the tire snap back to its preferred "shape"; energy released can send the tail violently in the other direction and before you know it, you're tail is wagging back and forth........you're a passenger at that point.

Ed
A lot of that is the craptacular stock suspension. BMW's suspension is designed for massive snap oversteer. I haven't yet driven on a tire that had real snap back issues, and this range goes from Q-rated snows to racing compound tires.

That said, if the tail snaps back on you, that means you held your correction too long. It also often means that you were late in correcting in the first place as well.

Edit: And just because you've got tank slapper going doesn't mean that you're a passenger. You've still got a chance of recovering up until you're pretty damned far sideways. If you can hand over hand the wheel quickly enough, you can get away with a LOT.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Last edited by Nick325xiT 5spd; 05-03-2005 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:08 AM
zeddy

Quote:
That said, if the tail snaps back on you, that means you held your correction too long. It also often means that you were late in correcting in the first place as well.
This is true and easy to demonstrate on the skid pad where speeds are relatively slow, but I've had a "tank slapper" happen to me at very high speed in a Dodge Viper and, as the Skip barber instructors say, once you're in it for the ride, just lock the brakes and ride it out, the one thing you absolutely don't want to happen is to regain traction while going in a direction NOT of your choosing, keeping the thing locked will at least give you a chance of sliding to a stop.

This is straight from some of the best instructors around, so I take it as good advice.

Ed
Old 05-03-2005, 07:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT
This is true and easy to demonstrate on the skid pad where speeds are relatively slow, but I've had a "tank slapper" happen to me at very high speed in a Dodge Viper and, as the Skip barber instructors say, once you're in it for the ride, just lock the brakes and ride it out, the one thing you absolutely don't want to happen is to regain traction while going in a direction NOT of your choosing, keeping the thing locked will at least give you a chance of sliding to a stop.

This is straight from some of the best instructors around, so I take it as good advice.

Ed
The key is "once you're in it for the ride." And the point at which you're just in it for the ride depends a great deal on you. And if you're at all able to handle the wheel, you damned well ought to have it pointed in the right direction.

I've recovered tankslapper at ~100PH, for example.

Edit: And I've never had tankslapper on a skidpad. It's pretty hard to induce when speeds are that low, as the suspension needs to articulate to get a good slap going.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 05-03-2005, 08:40 AM
zeddy

Quote:
The key is "once you're in it for the ride." And the point at which you're just in it for the ride depends a great deal on you.

I've recovered tankslapper at ~100PH, for example.
All I can say is, they're a lot of experienced race drivers with way more knowledge and experience than you who would strongly disagree with that statement.

I've recovered from tank slappers ( i like the term) as well, that's got nothing to do with the fact that some of them will catch you out.

I think you're in for a nasty surprise one day...., I just hope, for your sake, you don't get hurt.

Ed

Last edited by EdCT; 05-03-2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel-man
...Soon, I will be enrolling in Skip Barbar for a 2day driving school and look forward to more teaching afterward. And I will freely admit that I'm not at the point to take my car to it's limits safely...
That's a great attitude and I think you'll have a lot of fun at the Skip Barbar class.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325 XI
I bought my 325XI in the winter and wanted to check out the DSC.

Man was that fun.

When into a skid on turn on purpose and then DSC popped in and corrected the car's attitude like right now.

Sounds like you had the same experience.