Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Stuck in Monday

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel-man
Took the Front off and then detached the Rear. Would say that the decrease in 'fidgitiness' of the stearing is secondary to the front with a slight decrease in lean. The Rear alone does alot to make the chasis feel stiffer and substantially decreased body lean more than the Front. Both together is like butter. Should have written this above, but forgot.

Trunk space in my opinion is still good with the Rear, but I'm single and don't move alot of things around.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to the UUC sways in the future. Let me know what you think.
Thanks for the added info. So it might not be a bad idea to use a front strut bar to improve the steering while adding stiffer sways to dial out body lean...

My cart bag just BARELY fits into the trunk compartment as it is now, and I play often enough that it would be very impractical to take out a rear strut bar every time I want to play. So, I'm looking at other alternatives...
Old 05-04-2005, 01:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLudwig
Thanks for the added info. So it might not be a bad idea to use a front strut bar to improve the steering while adding stiffer sways to dial out body lean...

My cart bag just BARELY fits into the trunk compartment as it is now, and I play often enough that it would be very impractical to take out a rear strut bar every time I want to play. So, I'm looking at other alternatives...
Let me put it this way: If a strut bar is dialling out out a significant amount of body lean, that means that the shock towers are bending one hell of a lot. I like what the tower bars do for the feel of the car, but the notion that they decrease body roll is PURELY psychosomatic.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 05-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Stuck in Monday

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Let me put it this way: If a strut bar is dialling out out a significant amount of body lean, that means that the shock towers are bending one hell of a lot. I like what the tower bars do for the feel of the car, but the notion that they decrease body roll is PURELY psychosomatic.
So you're agreeing with my statement?

Basically, I'd always assumed that strut bars were there for increased rigidity and a tighter feel, and that one reduced lean with stiffer sways/suspension setup. Like I said in my earlier post, what I'm considering is (1) adding a front strut bar to improve steering feel and (2) UUC anti-sways to dial out body roll. Any suggestions/comments on this approach?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLudwig
So you're agreeing with my statement?

Basically, I'd always assumed that strut bars were there for increased rigidity and a tighter feel, and that one reduced lean with stiffer sways/suspension setup. Like I said in my earlier post, what I'm considering is (1) adding a front strut bar to improve steering feel and (2) UUC anti-sways to dial out body roll. Any suggestions/comments on this approach?
That's correct. I hit the wrong quote button.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 05-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Not disagreeing that it's not psychosomatic, my entire review is subjective... but 'feels' like it to me. But, the best suspension mod based on what I've read and you've stated to remove lean would be a sway upgrade.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 01 330Ci
Its basically impossible for a strut bar to decrease body lean/roll in a corner.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel-man
Took the Front off and then detached the Rear. Would say that the decrease in 'fidgitiness' of the stearing is secondary to the front with a slight decrease in lean. The Rear alone does alot to make the chasis feel stiffer and substantially decreased body lean more than the Front. Both together is like butter. Should have written this above, but forgot.

Trunk space in my opinion is still good with the Rear, but I'm single and don't move alot of things around.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to the UUC sways in the future. Let me know what you think.
I did not realized how much rigidity would go away with the fold down seats. I ordered them because coming from a hatchbach I thought I would make more use of them. Though it could be argued whether the front strut bar is more of a placebo effect I truly believe that the rear strut does improve rigidity on coupes and sedans with fold down seats. It is unforturnate that DINAN has not competition in this area.

It looks like that may be my next mod. I seldom make full use of my trunk except a few times a year like today when I came back from vacation and needed the entire space.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
I did not realized how much rigidity would go away with the fold down seats. I ordered them because coming from a hatchbach I thought I would make more use of them. Though it could be argued whether the front strut bar is more of a placebo effect I truly believe that the rear strut does improve rigidity on coupes and sedans with fold down seats. It is unforturnate that DINAN has not competition in this area.

It looks like that may be my next mod. I seldom make full use of my trunk except a few times a year like today when I came back from vacation and needed the entire space.
But only the inside part of the seats fold down, so if the seats don't fold then is there a metal bar that extends through the middle of them? I don't understand because on most cars the whole seat will fold down but on this one only inside part folds, so it looks like the back is still pretty well enforced. I know the car with the fixed seats is more rigid, I've seen the numbers posted, but why? Where is the extra support?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
But only the inside part of the seats fold down, so if the seats don't fold then is there a metal bar that extends through the middle of them? I don't understand because on most cars the whole seat will fold down but on this one only inside part folds, so it looks like the back is still pretty well enforced. I know the car with the fixed seats is more rigid, I've seen the numbers posted, but why? Where is the extra support?
Think of it as a rectangular structure (vertical). With nothing in the middle it would tend to rack. To prevent this you would need a diagonal brace, that is where the strut brace comes into play. Although the BMW hole is relatively small compared to other brands, as has been mentioned it does affect the overall rigidity of the car.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i

Let me know what you think after the mod. Glad I could help out with my experience.