Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-09-2005, 12:24 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 E46 318i sedan
Unhappy Brake dust when using EBC brakes

A couple months ago I replaced my brake discs and pads with EBC items (OEM equivalent discs and Green Stuff pads). The primary reasons for the change to EBC is to improve braking power and also less brake dust as advertised. Braking power has improved slightly but the brake dust that is being generated is far more than when I was using OEM parts. Has anyone experienced this increased brake dust when using Green Stuff pads. I’m just disappointed that brake dust has become an issue, especially when it was claimed that brake dust would be less when compared to using OEM items.
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2005, 03:59 AM
ELmO

Send a message via AIM to elmalloc Send a message via MSN to elmalloc Send a message via Yahoo to elmalloc
Mein Auto: 05 330 CIC
Cool

MORE brake dust than OEM? How this possible? After I wash my rims I get brake dust after a 30 minute drive, and significant brake dust after a day of going to work and back.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330CiC
Akebono ceramics ofer what you want as do the Hawk pads. Better braking and far less dust. Have the Hawks on mine and no dust for about a week or so and nothing "noticeable for 2 - 3 weeks.

Akebono wasn't available when I replced with the Hawk but i hear they are a bit better than the Hawk.

I also heard the Green Stuff pads actually smell bad. Have you noticed that as well?

Make the change. It is definitely worth it, especialy when the weather gets cold and you have to think about cleaning wheels...although I don't know where Brunei is??
Old 05-09-2005, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330CiC
Forgot to add...make sure you seat the brakes exactly like they recommend (should be instructions on the box). Easy to do, but make sure you do it to avoid squealing and glazing on them when new.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohegan29
Akebono ceramics ofer what you want as do the Hawk pads. Better braking and far less dust. Have the Hawks on mine and no dust for about a week or so and nothing "noticeable for 2 - 3 weeks.

Akebono wasn't available when I replced with the Hawk but i hear they are a bit better than the Hawk.

I also heard the Green Stuff pads actually smell bad. Have you noticed that as well?

Make the change. It is definitely worth it, especialy when the weather gets cold and you have to think about cleaning wheels...although I don't know where Brunei is??
Performance aftermarket items for BMW are hard to get in Brunei (Borneo, South East Asia, summer all year round...almost) so that's part of the reason why I chose EBC brakes. Within a week of driving I have significant brake dust so my old toothbrush is working overtime. I did see improved braking but because I replaced the brake fluid, bled the system and installed Goodridge SS lines, the extra performance could come from there. Since I don't track, probably I will revert back to OEM when I wear out the pads . I did not notice if my pads stinks, that's probably because I was paying so much attention to my toothbrush but I'll keep my nose up.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
MORE brake dust than OEM? How this possible? After I wash my rims I get brake dust after a 30 minute drive, and significant brake dust after a day of going to work and back.
are u using oem brakes?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohegan29
Forgot to add...make sure you seat the brakes exactly like they recommend (should be instructions on the box). Easy to do, but make sure you do it to avoid squealing and glazing on them when new.
the mechanic did the job for me, he's pretty competent so i hope he did a decent job. i did notice a bit of squealing initially but after performing some 'bedding' of the brakes, the squealing is gone but the brake dust just keeps on piling.