Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Mein Auto: F30 328i xDrive
CPO - Check Brake Linings already!

Hey all, I have a question.

We got our 02' CPO X5 from the dealer 1 week and a half ago. I told the dealer that the brakes had long travel and he just said "every car is different, but to be certified it has to have a minimum thickness on the pads."

I just read the CPO inspection checklist and it says it has to be a minimum of 5mm for the pads.

Yesterday the "Check Brake Linings" warning came on with the "Brake" light illuminated as well. Could they really have met the standard when we bought it? We haven't even put 500 miles on yet, and we don't drive crazy or brake hard.

It's the weekend so I can't talk to the dealer, but I assume they will tell me it's on me to pay for it. Should I just go independent shop then?

From reading other threads here I gather it's about a grand to do at the dealer. That hurts the pocket book when we just bought this vehicle.

Suggestions please...

TIA

Last edited by the_s_rabbit; 05-22-2005 at 05:47 PM. Reason: found minimum thickness requirement
Ads by Google
Old 05-22-2005, 05:54 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_s_rabbit

We got our 02' CPO X5 from the dealer 1 week and a half ago. I told the dealer that the brakes had long travel and he just said "every car is different, but to be certified it has to have a minimum thickness on the pads."

I just read the CPO inspection checklist and it says it has to be a minimum of 5mm for the pads.

Yesterday the "Check Brake Linings" warning came on with the "Brake" light illuminated as well. Could they really have met the standard when we bought it? We haven't even put 500 miles on yet, and we don't drive crazy or brake hard.

It's the weekend so I can't talk to the dealer, but I assume they will tell me it's on me to pay for it. Should I just go independent shop then?

From reading other threads here I gather it's about a grand to do at the dealer. That hurts the pocket book when we just bought this vehicle.

Suggestions please...

TIA

Under no circumstances should your vehicle require new brakes 500 miles after being purchased as a CPO car, unless those 500 miles were from driving on a race track. Take it back to the dealer and tell them that they obviously didn't do a complete CPO inspection. They need to pay for the brakes if that is indeed what the car needs.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
I would definately take it back to the dealer and have them SHOW you the thickness of the pads. Tell them you pointed it out to your sales geek at the time of purchase. They do nothing but feed you baloney to make the sale.

There is no way you could wear them down that fast! AFTER they show you the thickness, ask them what the minimum should be for the vehicle to pass the CPO guidelines. If they give you a vague answer THEN pull out your copy of the guidelines.

I wouldn't even budge on this one! Ask them why you just paid $1000's for the vehicle if you have to start spending more on servicing it already. Isn't that the whole point of buying a CPO?? Tell them you will contact BMWNA if they don't do anything about it. Go there with your guns ready, but don't use them unless they fail to co-operate!!
Old 05-22-2005, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 4.8is
Ask to see the records from the CPO inspection. Someone messed up and you shouldn't have to pay the price for their mistakes
Old 05-23-2005, 05:10 AM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Agree...bang on'em.
This "CPO" mkting angle has become a toothless panacea.

I suspect some/many Stlrs, (not all), simply give the car a 10 min look, maybe on a lift, send it to the "detail" washrack kid for a wax job and slap on the "CPO" sticker.

That, and the CPO is not the great safety net as it purports to be.

GL, but they oughta step up and do the right thing; that "record" of the CPO "inspec" is the key. BR,md
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 05-23-2005, 06:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Having seen a CPO car with frame damage...
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 05-23-2005, 06:12 AM
Registered ABUSER!

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid
Agree...bang on'em.
This "CPO" mkting angle has become a toothless panacea.

I suspect some/many Stlrs, (not all), simply give the car a 10 min look, maybe on a lift, send it to the "detail" washrack kid for a wax job and slap on the "CPO" sticker.

That, and the CPO is not the great safety net as it purports to be.

GL, but they oughta step up and do the right thing; that "record" of the CPO "inspec" is the key. BR,md
To an extent, what you say is true. Much of what a makes up a car is thoroughly checked, but some things fall through the cracks. If I were to buy another CPO car, I'd insist that I get to look at the certification process. It costs the dealer 4 figues to qualify a car in CPO. It's in their own interest to furnish a customer with this document. My own CPO experience (in 1995) was perfect. That was one solid, reliable car. As far as the_s_rabbit is concerned, as everyone has already stated, I don't think the dealer will debate this much. It will probably be covered on their dime.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 00 Z3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_s_rabbit

Suggestions please...

TIA
Please keep in mind that with 4 whl disc brakes, the thickness of the pads should have no effect on "pedal travel".
Old 05-23-2005, 07:25 AM
Oversized Rooster 4.4i

Mein Auto: '02 X5 4.4i
500 miles is too little. They didn't do their work when CPO-ing that car.

My 2002 CPO 4.4i also gave me a Check Brake Linings warning. However, that was 8000 miles after I got it.

2002 BMW X5 4.4i - Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Activity Package, Front+Rear PDC, Boomerang2 Recovery System, Lumbar Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Sunshades, Privacy Glass, 30% Front Tint
Old 05-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Thanks for the suggestions,

Yes, we've only put on 420 miles so far...we'll talk to the dealer today.

I'll let you know how it pans out.
Thanks again, you guys are great.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Wink

Tell them you already spent all you are going to spend this year so they will have to rectify the problem on a "Goodwill" bases as it should never have occurred if a proper CPO inspection had been carried out. Polite but firm. I used the term “Not a penny more” when my front end needed to be replaced 2 weeks after purchase with an estimated cost of $1600
Old 05-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

My wife is going to pick it up now.

Said they replaced the front brake pads and sensor and also reprogrammed the keys, which supposedly fixes a sticky door lock problem we have.
We shall see though. And it's all no charge.

I'm a little concerned that they just did the front pads and not all brakes and rotors.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Assuming the car was properly inspected... BMW is VERY strict with their guidelines and will even have the replaced parts sent to them for inspection... if it had been a BMW Paid maintenance issue then this would have been a factor. A 2002 would no longer be covered by maintenance so it's more then likely that they were being cheap, when they should have replaced them being so "close" to that requirement. How long had it been in inventory? If the CPO inspection had been performed a long time ago (they do this at the time they take the vehicle into inventory), it would be possible that they were very close but not enough, and that being driven either by employees or test drives wore them down further prior to you taking the car. No matter what... they did the right thing by replacing them. They are not allowed to do pads only... rotors have to be replaced. You can look at them and see very clearly whether they are new or not.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X54.4i
I have a question regarding CPOs. What kind of documents is the dealer suppose to give you. It seems like different dealers handle them differently. Are they suppose to give you a copy of the check list? Do they have to give you a copy if you request it?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5RO
I have a question regarding CPOs. What kind of documents is the dealer suppose to give you. It seems like different dealers handle them differently. Are they suppose to give you a copy of the check list? Do they have to give you a copy if you request it?

Thanks
They don't have to give you anything. But, there should be no reason why they wouldn't give you a breakdown of what was done to recondition your BMW. Getting a copy of the check list should be as simple as calling just about any BMW svc dept. and having them fax you a copy of the list.

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Oversized Rooster 4.4i

Mein Auto: '02 X5 4.4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
They don't have to give you anything. But, there should be no reason why they wouldn't give you a breakdown of what was done to recondition your BMW. Getting a copy of the check list should be as simple as calling just about any BMW svc dept. and having them fax you a copy of the list.
Agreed. I was also given documentation of the work done to recondition the vehicle. My 2002 CPO 4.4i benefitted from exterior detailing once, interior detailing twice, a new radio, 4 new interior door handles, new rear cupholder tray and of course a free oilchange.

2002 BMW X5 4.4i - Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Activity Package, Front+Rear PDC, Boomerang2 Recovery System, Lumbar Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Sunshades, Privacy Glass, 30% Front Tint