Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-25-2005, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: The Bus
Getting X5---

Hi-
I will be picking up our new X5 on Friday. We are going down to Cape Cod for the weekend on Saturday- about 90 miles- highway. Should I take the new car? I have read some things about break in. Some suggest driving it in 15 minute increments the first 500 miles or so. Other suggest just taking it easy the first 500- not going above 4000 RPMS. Then push it a little bit afterwards a couple of times.

I was thinking of making one or two stops- so going about 30 miles- and doing some shopping along the way- and keeping the speed at around 60.

What is the general consensus- if one exists?

Thanks,
MS
Ads by Google
Old 05-25-2005, 09:19 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpiman
Hi-
I will be picking up our new X5 on Friday. We are going down to Cape Cod for the weekend on Saturday- about 90 miles- highway. Should I take the new car? I have read some things about break in. Some suggest driving it in 15 minute increments the first 500 miles or so. Other suggest just taking it easy the first 500- not going above 4000 RPMS. Then push it a little bit afterwards a couple of times.

I was thinking of making one or two stops- so going about 30 miles- and doing some shopping along the way- and keeping the speed at around 60.

What is the general consensus- if one exists?

Thanks,
MS
Just drive it without revving too high (over 4500 RPM) for the first 1200 miles and you will be fine. The manual has pretty good recommendations. Don't sit and idle - start up and drive away. Don't get too extreme until heat temp is in the low to mid range.

Apply the parking brake a few times while coasting to a stop to set that system.

Punch it a few times to keep things honest..........
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 05-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
Just drive it without revving too high (over 4500 RPM) for the first 1200 miles and you will be fine. The manual has pretty good recommendations. Don't sit and idle - start up and drive away. Don't get too extreme until heat temp is in the low to mid range.

Apply the parking brake a few times while coasting to a stop to set that system.

Punch it a few times to keep things honest..........
highway driving is not a good idea during break-in. Try to take back roads where you will have stop and go driving to keep the engine speeds varied. You dont need to do that with parking break.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Congratulations!
If you were talking to the law firm representing BMW of NA... then follow the outlined break-in in the manual.
If you were talking to the people who engineered your X5... as I have... they would tell you to get on it like a rental right away. OK, with lots of love, of course... but my point is simple. Everything comes ready to rock from day one. Most all break in beliefs are a part of myth or urban legend. In the old days, things took time to seat and seal. This has not been the case for BMWs for the last 20 years. The best kind of break in is when you get out there and red line the mother through every gear immediately. And YES, I'm being very serious. The sooner you loosen that baby up... the better she will perform. Everything from fuel economy to HP/Torque output will be better when a car is broken in this way.
Here's just one example, I may have shared this one before: The owner of my dealership did an ED on the first gen M5. He was told what I just told you, on his way to the autobahn... though I'm sure it was explained much better and in engineering speak... before he left the plant. He STILL owns that very same M5 (as well as one of... if not "the" the last M1 ever built) and it has been a rock ever since. Anyone who knows this car believes it is the fastest, best sorted M5 of its generation...
The point is that the sooner you "loosen" her up... the better she will run.
I'm sure you and others will think my post is crazy... so do yourself a favor... search using google or yahoo or what ever... you will find others who will support this belief. You will find that most are living in the dark ages of automotive production.

One important point... The brakes take about 300 miles to work up to snuff... obviously they will work, but it will take this long for them to get to know each other and really start getting it on... if you know what I mean.

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 05-26-2005, 05:16 AM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_neuro
highway driving is not a good idea during break-in. Try to take back roads where you will have stop and go driving to keep the engine speeds varied. You dont need to do that with parking break.
Where are you getting your information from?

According to the BMW manual for breaking-in:

"To break in the separate handbrake drums, apply the handbrake lightly when coasting to a stop"........repeat from time to time to prevent corrosion.

Also highway driving is fine under 160km/hr - just vary the throttle input a little, and don't use the cruise control until after break-in.

Having said that - my shop foreman said to just drive it and don't worry.
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 05-26-2005, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i Sport
Bottom line...it's only a car. I've never heard of anyone having issues with a car down the road because they didn't baby it to a ridiculous degree during the break-in period. I'm planning Euro delivery for my next car, and you better believe I'm going to enjoy the Autobahn the first day I pick it up. Cape Cod sounds great, so drive it and enjoy it!
Old 05-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i / 04 330ci
I had the same thoughts when I got my 04 330ci last year in Munich and was worried but I agree its the "Ultimate driving machine" so drive it like that. These cars arent made to be babied on the road so take it out and have some fun with her just be careful you dont get pulled over! Knock on wood im coming up to the 10,000 mile mark and I push her everyday on the highway and she hasnt let me down or it hasnt caused any engine problems she has been flawless. So my final verdict is drive the car and have fun with her and stop worrying about the break in process the only extra thing I had done was an oil change at 6000 miles.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: Z3C, Z3R, X5
Gotta weigh in on this one. BMW engines may be well built, but they're still engines. Pistons, with rings, running inside cylinder walls. There is definitely "Break in wear" in the first thousand miles or so. If you've ever done any machining work in your life, then you know exactly what I mean. Pistons want to "set" in the cylinder. You absolutely do not want to drive the car at one engine rpm for extended periods, and you don't want to redline it.

You can stretch BMW's directives some and still be in the ballpark. Enough to have maximum fun with your new Bimmer. Freeway, Autobahn, back roads.. doesn't matter. Do NOT hold your engine rpms at one spot for more than 10 minutes at a shot. So simple a thing to accomodate. Just speed up a little, slow down, or use a different gear. That's all you have to do. That.. and don't red line it. Your crank arm bearings are setting as well. You don't want to "stretch" them.

Oil problems, fuel consumption problems... Yes.. I've known several people who have done this to themselves because they didn't show some common care sense during break in. You don't have to follow the manual to the letter, but do take some care. Do you really want to toy around with not breaking in your new $15,000 engine correctly? A thousand to 1,200 miles is nothing. Go drive.

'02 Z3 Coupe 3.0i [Hellröt II - Walnuß]
'03 X5 3.0i [GrauGrün - Beige]
'01 Z3 Roadster 3.0i [AlpenWeiß - TraumRöt]