Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > 2005 Events > Bimmerfest 2005: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2005: Santa Barbara, CA
Information, stories, and photos of the biggest BMW show in the land...

Old 04-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to little740girl
Mein Auto: 95 740il
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLitZeD310
For the reply of the person standing on the roof: Tell me you didn’t get a kick out of that? Didn’t you notice the battle of the cookies on the hood of the car? There were more people gathered around his car having a great time then there were the show cars. This was not a show car, it was an Auto-X car, that gets driven harder than 90% of the cars on the lot, not to mention its 23 years old and can still keep up with allot of the cars there. Yeah so it was not the prettiest thing to look at. But he was with the E21 Legion, a group of about 13 guys getting together for the weekend to have a great time at Bimmerfest. I can’t wait for the majority of the people to understand that Bimmerfest is not about the cars, but rather the enthusiast. This is what Bimmerfest is about, having a good time. This is my 3rd year attending and I was pleased with the turnout and all the work involved. Although I must say people are making it out to be to much of a car show, and getting to crazy on the rally. From the previous years this was not the case it was just a gathering of ALL BMW's. I do understand space was limited so only modified cars and classic cars should be allowed to enter the lot. The car mentioned is considered a classic to some. Oldskool-classics is more of a style then referring to a specific year.

People got spoiled by last year at the fairgrounds. There was so much space that everyone could park and that was great. But all the other years before, it was a first come first serve basis, and many cars did not get to park on the lot regardless of how "modified" the car was and there was never complaining like I see here.

All I can say was that we stayed together and got to the lot much earlier than most, stayed together on the rally, did not get crazy on the rally, and we all had a great time.

Much respect for all the winners
haha, I won the cookie competition!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: A highly Modded E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLitZeD310
For the reply of the person standing on the roof: Tell me you didn’t get a kick out of that? Didn’t you notice the battle of the cookies on the hood of the car? There were more people gathered around his car having a great time then there were the show cars. This was not a show car, it was an Auto-X car, that gets driven harder than 90% of the cars on the lot, not to mention its 23 years old and can still keep up with allot of the cars there. Yeah so it was not the prettiest thing to look at. But he was with the E21 Legion, a group of about 13 guys getting together for the weekend to have a great time at Bimmerfest. I can’t wait for the majority of the people to understand that Bimmerfest is not about the cars, but rather the enthusiast. This is what Bimmerfest is about, having a good time. This is my 3rd year attending and I was pleased with the turnout and all the work involved. Although I must say people are making it out to be to much of a car show, and getting to crazy on the rally. From the previous years this was not the case it was just a gathering of ALL BMW's. I do understand space was limited so only modified cars and classic cars should be allowed to enter the lot. The car mentioned is considered a classic to some. Oldskool-classics is more of a style then referring to a specific year.

People got spoiled by last year at the fairgrounds. There was so much space that everyone could park and that was great. But all the other years before, it was a first come first serve basis, and many cars did not get to park on the lot regardless of how "modified" the car was and there was never complaining like I see here.

All I can say was that we stayed together and got to the lot much earlier than most, stayed together on the rally, did not get crazy on the rally, and we all had a great time.

Much respect for all the winners

Very well said . Bimmerfest is not a show, its a gathering. Its a place where people can hang out and check out other cars and meet new people and meet the people that they talk to on the boards.

E21 LEGION
Bimmerfest: 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10 Veteran
Old 04-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Victory is mine!

Mein Auto: 03' 330i ZHP, 04' 325ci
Didn't care for the car, but give a thumb up for the work, blood, and tears that went into it.

Style is always a matter of opinion. Newer cars with shiny paint will attract more attention, which is why I feel the "classic" category was fitting so they are recognized as well. At the same time, I wouldn't expect a classic or older model car to win the best of show unless it's heavily modded like the old school Ms.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 328i
I think you need more than 2 judges to decide. Maybe an open ballot where everyone gets to vote.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:04 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
I loved that euro M5

Old 04-25-2005, 04:29 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff3
I loved that euro M5
Me too. I only wish it had period-correct wheels instead of the E39 SP ones. My thing is, if you're going to keep it with an original look, pay attention to the wheels. The same comment goes to the blue E9 with 400k+ miles that had late 80s vintage Alpinas, and the white E9 with E36 LTW wheels. My M6 has non-period wheels, but that should change soon.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:14 AM

Mein Auto: E30 M3
The Best In Show winner has had a lot of time, effort, and money wrapped up into it, no doubt. Did it REALLY deserve that award, well obviously everyone has their own opinions. I personally feel the car was a bit over-done, but that is what you need to win car shows (Hot Import Nights, etc, etc). Will most BMW owners that love to drive their cars hard like that car, probably not, since you'll need to be VERY careful with that paint and the interior trim. But as a show car, that one is fairly top notch. Bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep
Just to be in the contest gets my respect.

There were only a few cars which I felt didn't belong on the lot. A giveaway is when the owner is standing on his roof.

Would YOU do that with your car?
Bimmerfest is not about the Battle of the Bimmers. That happens to be just ONE of the events going on during the day. It is unfortunate that the only way to be JUDGED for that event is to be on the lot, but with this year's event not being limited to JUST the BMW lot as it has been in prior years, a small corner of 12 classic e21's (one of which won Best Classic last year and 2nd this year) can be spared. As the owner of that winning classic already said, the e21's were organized as a group, drove in early together and were allowed to park together. It is rare that you see ANY e21's on the road these days, let alone 12 of them in the same place at the same event. How many Z3's were there? How often do you see them on the road?

My paint is old and faded, chipped in places, and there is some surface rust from the days when the previous owner let the car sit for 2 years under a tree before I came along and saved the car from wasting away, giving it a new lease on life. I'm having fun with it, and that INCLUDES standing on the roof, hood, trunk, fenders, whatever I feel like. I do this because the paint is already in bad shape. I may eventually repaint it, but that is a low priority, since it doesn't need to look pretty to go fast around the autoX cones. Will I stand on the roof then? No. Do I stand on the hood of my daily driven 318is? No. Do I stand on the trunk of my e30 M3? HELL NO!!!! Does that make them any more or less important to me than my e21? No. Should my classic, 23 year old BMW have been let on the lot to help make more of a presence for the e21 community? You're damn right it should!

4 BMW CCA AutoX Class wins, 3 Second places....and counting!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Guy standing on his car

I'm sure he got a good view of the rally from up there...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bimmerfest o5 132.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	49247  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: E30 M3
Yes I did actually. It allowed me to see all those other cars that WEREN'T on the lot, not just the ONE extra that would have been let on if I parked out on the street. That is something I figured out last year at this event. Makes for a great lay of the land.

4 BMW CCA AutoX Class wins, 3 Second places....and counting!
Old 04-27-2005, 03:02 PM
OG Member #321

Send a message via AIM to MarcusSanDiego
Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberpanzer
The Best In Show winner has had a lot of time, effort, and money wrapped up into it, no doubt. Did it REALLY deserve that award, well obviously everyone has their own opinions. I personally feel the car was a bit over-done, but that is what you need to win car shows (Hot Import Nights, etc, etc). Will most BMW owners that love to drive their cars hard like that car, probably not, since you'll need to be VERY careful with that paint and the interior trim. But as a show car, that one is fairly top notch. Bravo.

Bimmerfest is not about the Battle of the Bimmers. That happens to be just ONE of the events going on during the day. It is unfortunate that the only way to be JUDGED for that event is to be on the lot, but with this year's event not being limited to JUST the BMW lot as it has been in prior years, a small corner of 12 classic e21's (one of which won Best Classic last year and 2nd this year) can be spared. As the owner of that winning classic already said, the e21's were organized as a group, drove in early together and were allowed to park together. It is rare that you see ANY e21's on the road these days, let alone 12 of them in the same place at the same event. How many Z3's were there? How often do you see them on the road?

My paint is old and faded, chipped in places, and there is some surface rust from the days when the previous owner let the car sit for 2 years under a tree before I came along and saved the car from wasting away, giving it a new lease on life. I'm having fun with it, and that INCLUDES standing on the roof, hood, trunk, fenders, whatever I feel like. I do this because the paint is already in bad shape. I may eventually repaint it, but that is a low priority, since it doesn't need to look pretty to go fast around the autoX cones. Will I stand on the roof then? No. Do I stand on the hood of my daily driven 318is? No. Do I stand on the trunk of my e30 M3? HELL NO!!!! Does that make them any more or less important to me than my e21? No. Should my classic, 23 year old BMW have been let on the lot to help make more of a presence for the e21 community? You're damn right it should!

Dougly, are you trying to say something?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Drivin Bmw since '03.

Send a message via AIM to Sev03
Mein Auto: 92 325is
hey guys i was always wondering if theres no clutch on the new m3's, then how do you shift with the shifter? thx
Old 04-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Victory is mine!

Mein Auto: 03' 330i ZHP, 04' 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev03
hey guys i was always wondering if theres no clutch on the new m3's, then how do you shift with the shifter? thx

Where in the world did you get the idea that there is no clutch in the new M3s. The manual M3 trannies have a clutch, and the SMG trannies also have a clutch. Only difference is the SMG computer engage/disengage the clutch for you, so there's no need for you to control the clutch manually.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Best in show winners thoughts

yes people the car is a little extreme for most bmw purists......but whats NOT fun about that...you people will never forget that car as long as you live....wether it is in a positive manner or negative we did our job...TNB is proud to be the winner of best in show and would suggest to people that they judge the car on the fact the mods are just sick AND IF A LITTLE PAINT AND FUNKY DOOR KITS THROW YOU OFF OF WHAT THAT CAR WAS REALLY ABOUT YOU JUST DONT KNOW SPEED AERODYNAMICS AND POWER AND SUSPENSION ...THE CAR IS DRIVIN BY A MAD MAN...ASK ANYONE WHO SAW ME FLYING BY THEM WHEN I DROVE BACK TO LA. love my car dont care if you do.....only care if you have me design something for you and your happy with it,,,,my car is for me...it met my needs,,,let me meet yours and build you a sick ride...and you dont have to do the doors or paint...but we can still make your car unique

Last edited by Taber Schroeder; 05-04-2005 at 12:49 PM. Reason: badspelling
Old 05-04-2005, 01:02 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber Schroeder
would suggest to people that they judge the car on the fact the mods are just sick
I think it needs to see a doctor.

Quote:
THE CAR IS DRIVIN BY A MAD MAN...ASK ANYONE WHO SAW ME FLYING BY THEM WHEN I DROVE BACK TO LA.
Were you driving a white 6?

Quote:
love my car dont care if you do
That's what it's all about.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 05-04-2005, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: A highly Modded E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-SD
I'm sure he got a good view of the rally from up there...
, is that a turbo E21 in the backround?

E21 LEGION
Bimmerfest: 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10 Veteran
Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 PM
oh baby!

Mein Auto: E63 coming soon...
who drives the 1st place winner car?

soon to come...E63