Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 06-05-2005, 12:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to vadere36mpwr
Mein Auto: E36 M3
Has anyone installed a voltage stabilizer?

Talking to my cousin whose very active in the STI forums, he found several posts of a device called the voltage stabilizer. There are a number of testmonials in the Nasioc forum claiming that they had felt a difference in HP and MPG when installed. After some research, it appears that this is a new product from Japan and many rice rockets have them under their hoods. I also found a unit that would be compatible with the e36 M3. I was told that this unit will greatly help with the car's performance and everything mentioned seemed really logical. Anyone out there installed one on their car yet? I would really like to know it this unit really lives up to what others claimed. $250 for a 4-6 HP @ the wheel gain. Of course, it varies according to the amount of mods you have.
Ads by Google
Old 06-05-2005, 07:33 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Whyt would a voltage stabilizer increase power? You already have a voltage regulator on the alternator.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-05-2005, 12:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to vadere36mpwr
Mein Auto: E36 M3
I read that although the car already has a unit that does the same thing, this unit further enhances the voltage through out the vehicle. The readings sent from the different units to the ECU could be in accurate at times and fluctuates. This basically blocks the vehicle from performing at its peak. With the unit, the voltage throughout the vehicle is consistent.

Here's a link to the product, any comment would be deeply appreciated.

http://www.intakeone.com/Denso/SunHVSGT.htm
Old 06-05-2005, 01:23 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Doesn't make much sense to me. If each control unit was properly designed to begin with, they would have their own internal voltage regulators, or at least some way to make sure their outputs aren't affected by their power supply voltage. And where do you hook this thing up to anyhow? If it's not at the source of all current source for every piece of the car (i.e. battery) then even if it does work, it'd be completely useless.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:29 PM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
I suppose there could be a capacitor inside which might help a powerful sound system a little. Or not. That wouldn't be worth anything close to $225, however.

If the device really lived up to its many claims, I would think it would already be in the car. Consider what the automakers do to win a little more torque or to improve a car's fuel consumption. This gizmo claims to do both, and more.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadere36mpwr
I read that although the car already has a unit that does the same thing, this unit further enhances the voltage through out the vehicle. The readings sent from the different units to the ECU could be in accurate at times and fluctuates. This basically blocks the vehicle from performing at its peak. With the unit, the voltage throughout the vehicle is consistent.

Here's a link to the product, any comment would be deeply appreciated.

http://www.intakeone.com/Denso/SunHVSGT.htm

Ok, here's my take.

I would guess its a capacitor. A very large capacitor. A cap is essentially a device for storing electrical energy, sort of like a battery if you will. Typical uses on low frequency (i.e. next to D.C.) are as a compensation for current draws that happen quickly, such as a car stereo.

In this case, say your wing-equipped, slammed, Honda Accord just got fitted with a new kick-butt stereo. Because you overspent on the wing, you could not afford to spend another few bucks for a quality replacement for the OEM battery that is now going on 9 years old. In this case, you make the decision to order essentially $10.00 worth of parts for $250, excuse me, on sale for $225.00, because some "friends" on the internet indicated it produced a prodigious 10 extra Horsepower. Good move. You now basically have an additional regulator in the supply so that there is no obstruction to the thumping bass that you so desire to annoy the old git in the apartment at the corner of your unit.

Of course the truth is you just got ripped.

But naturally, I could be wrong; this is just another post on the internet. Good luck.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 06-05-2005 at 06:56 PM.