Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 08-16-2003, 06:31 AM
round -n- shiney

Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
Post Installing BlueTooth retro-fit kit.

BlueTooth kit DIY for E39 sedan with Nav built after 03/02.

Part numbers:
ULF module: 84 21 6 934 552
Installation kit: 84 11 0 30 647
SES Jumper plug: 84 11 0 018 038 (this is for voice control)

Since I got my BlueTooth retro-fit kit yesterday (thanks, Pete!), I thought I'd post a small write-up of how we got it in (thanks, Pete!). Disclaimer: I did not have the car programmed yet to accept this BT kit and I do not have a BT phone yet to make sure it works. And I am also aware that there are instructions for doing the installation, so you don't really need to read this.

First of all, here a pic of what you should get with the kit:

Then, I just followed the installation manual that came with the kit:

--- Microphone is installed in the roof, where your light, universal garage door opener and sun-roof switches are located. It's easier to just pry the lights out with you bare hands, then slide the rest of the panel down towards the front of the car and pull it down.

There is a 3 pin black connector wire, plug it into the mic and then just snap the mic in place.

--- Taking the center arm-rest is easy. Insert your fingers into the small storage tray underneath the vents, and push up. Then just pry it out with a screwdriver. Slide the vents down, you'll see two screws. Unscrew those and get the whole arm-rest off and you'll see 3 wires.

Then, according to instructions, I applied some "adhesion promoter" to the surface of the BT antennae and the tray, stuck the sticky tape on the antennae. I recommend plugging the antennae in before gluing to the tray. There's only one wire there that will fit the antenna.

Then you have to take out the tray out of the center arm-rest that you removed. I have no idea how to do it properly. There are two catches that hold it in place, they are located on the sides and closer to the rear. After some wresting with it, it came out. Then you just snap the new tray in (its wires go through the arm-rest, obviously).

And finally, you connect those two wires from the new tray with the remaining wires in the tray. Put it all back together to same way you took it apart, and you're done with it.

--- Then comes the hard part, installing the ULF module. First of all, locate a small peelable sticker that says "BLUETOOTH PASSKEY". Stick onto the plastic card that comes with the kit. You'll need this passkey to pair your phone with the car's system.

You'll be placing the ULF module on the left side of your trunk, above the NAV unit (right at the top of the stack). Wires needed (big 54 pin connector and "FAKRA" connector that looked just like the one we did in the center console) here are going to be somewhere around the wheel well, you might need to unfasten the trunk lining around the wheel well to get those wires out. To unfasten it, get something thin and sharp and just pry out the clip.

Since my car is one the last E39s built, I did not need to install the new mounting bracket that some people might need. If your car was built after 03/02 but before 08/02, you'll need it. Part #s: 84 13 6 924 547 (nav) or 84 13 6 924 546 (no nav)

Then you just slide the clips into their places (you'll see indentations on the mounting bracket that'll help you figure out how the clip is supposed to be put on). I plugged in the black 54 pin connector (slide the bar down, plug it in, slide the bar up to secure it) and then proceeded to bolting the module down. Don't plug in the FAKRA connector just yet, because it will be in your way of screwing one of the bolts in. Bolting it in place is not as easy as it sounds, since the space there is VERY limited. You'd better have a friend with slender hands, that all I have to say I've actually lost one mounting clip and one bolt, so my unit is hold in place by only two bolts. We'll see how it works out.

--- While you are there, you'll probably need to plug the SES jumper too. Depending on your car's configuration you might already have one. The wire needed for this is in the same location as the previous two wires needed for the ULF module, it's a blue connector with a white bar. Slide the bar down, plug in the jumper, slide the bar up to secure it.

That's all I've done at the moment. Now I need to get the car programmed (instructions for that are in the installation manual), it looks like it's a very easy procedure. Then I'll need to get myself a BlueTooth phone before I actually know if I plugged everything in correctly. I'll be able to determine that on September 4th, when I get my Siemens S55. I'll post and update when that happens.
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2003, 08:40 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Excellent write-up !

And congrats on your S55 decision
Old 08-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530I
Nice!!!!

How much was the kit and where did you get it?
Old 08-16-2003, 11:28 AM
round -n- shiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4bmw
How much was the kit and where did you get it?
I got it for MSRP, which was US $548.10 for the three parts that I got. And a friend of mine got it for me from a dealership in Buffalo. Crevier is also starting to ship them out and they also sell for MSRP.

Edit: that 548 for three parts is actually with a 10% BMW CCA discount...so if you are not a member, the price is going to be higher.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:32 AM
round -n- shiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
Excellent write-up !

And congrats on your S55 decision
Thanks, Alex! 3 weeks wait, though....
Old 08-16-2003, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: For fun
I read, maybe here that the E39 needs to be a MY2001 or newer does anyone know if that is correct.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:10 PM
round -n- shiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8330
I read, maybe here that the E39 needs to be a MY2001 or newer does anyone know if that is correct.
The retro-fit kit that I've got is for 03/02 or later build dates. I don't know if BMW will come up with an official retro-fit kit for older cars.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:39 AM
Trying to top 1K posts...

Mein Auto: 89 E30 325i, 97 E39 540iA
Excellent write-up Rost! When you have it finalized, you might want to submit it to www.bmwtips.com so it can be easily shared/archived for the BMW community.

Thanks.

E39 DIY Site: BMWdiy.INFO
E30 DIY Site: E30.BMWdiy.INFO
BMWTips: BMWTips.com

Old 08-19-2003, 03:33 AM
round -n- shiney

I plan on doing that, vietsb, when I get it working
Right now it's not, and I'm not sure whether it's software or hardware
Old 08-19-2003, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i ED
Great writeup Rost! Question, do you need to install an antenna for Bluetooth? Do you (or anyone else) know why you can't have BMW Assist and Bluetooth?
Old 08-19-2003, 02:27 PM
round -n- shiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer4me
Great writeup Rost! Question, do you need to install an antenna for Bluetooth? Do you (or anyone else) know why you can't have BMW Assist and Bluetooth?
I believe you CAN install an antennae that would boost the cell-phone's signal when it's plugged in, but in the current form of these BT retrofit kits you don't need any antennas since your phone in not plugged in and it does all the reception itself.

I have no idea about the second question, though. I don't see why that would be a problem since having a BT phone or the regular phone should make no difference... but what do I know
Old 06-07-2005, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Unhappy Speakers not working

I just went through the installation of this kit for a 9/02 E39 and so far everything works except the car speakers don't make any sound when a call is engaged. I haven't tried the voice command part yet. My kit was missing a few parts (installation manual and clip nuts, thank you very much BMW) and I followed the installation instructioins I have gleaned from the internet. Do I need to have the car reprogrammed. I've been informed that they have to "back order" the instruction manual (i.e. months away) and of course they couldn't explain why the pieces where missing. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535 / 00 M5 / 91 M5
do you have the "ses jumper plug" in place?
Mike