Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
BlitzSafe XM Radio

Has anyone heard of/tried/installed a BlitzSafe XM radio in their X3? Apparently this is a very inexpensive way to get XM Radio in your BMW and control it with the sterring wheels controls. Here is some more information:

http://www.xm411.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1804

&

http://www.myradiostore.us/

I read through the forum and on the product site but I still have some questions. Do I need the Satelie pre-wiring in order to make this happen? Also, I've read that you HAVE to use the supplied antenna and can't use the shark fin antena on the X3. If that's the case then what antenna is used on the factory installed satelie radios? My X3 is still on order so I can add the pre-wiring if I need to but I think I'd only do this if I could use the existing shark fin and not have to add another antenna.

Any ideas?
Ads by Google
Old 04-14-2005, 07:18 PM

No takers! No one has any advice on this product?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:05 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V
It is possible that nobody has the combination of an X3 and XM Direct here. I can tell you what I know and make some educated guesses for the rest:

XM Direct is currently incompatible with navigation. BlitzSafe says they're working on it, but they've been saying that for quite some time.

The XM Direct kit comes with the adapter, receiver, and antenna. So at least some of the stuff you'd get with Sat Radio Prep isn't useful / necessary.

In cars where the CD changer doesn't mount in the trunk / hatch area, Prep gets you the wires you need back there.

You'll almost definitely have to install the antenna you got with the XM Direct kit (or another XM antenna) in order to pull in a signal. I haven't run into any Sirius antennas that work for XM (or vice versa).

Depending on what you want to listen to, you might want to consider using Sirius instead of XM. My first experience with Sirius was when I got "stuck" with it in the wagon, since XM Direct doesn't work with NAV. I discovered that I like the programming on Sirius much better. Sirius provides a 3-day "test drive" pass to listen to their music channels over the Internet if you want to see what they offer. I don't know if XM does the same.

BTW, I have a new-in-the-box XM Direct kit for BMWs (with the CD changer passthru) if you (or anyone else) is interested.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Quote:
Yes, I did the xmdirect/blitzsafe install. It was quick and easy. Instructions on the
xm411.com site are accurate. It took 35 minutes to put in car and have preview channel. about 15-20 minutes to hide the antenna wire. still have to tie the xmdirect box to
the passenger seat so it isn't on the floor. activated online, and xm satellite!!!!

I am blown away by the ease of using this through the factory head. when you "mode" around it comes up SIRRIUS...then says XM...then channel info. Everything works as advertised. stores 18 presets (sat1, sat2, sat3--each with 6) scans work. holds its own
EQ for satellite. I find the quality excellent on the factory installed speakers, better than FM or CD's. only complaint is the "audio level" of xm is all over the place. channel to channel and xm cut-ins. Just drove over to Tampa and it was a joy.

fllbmw
Old 04-14-2005, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: x3
The antenna is very small, fits between sharkfin and hatch. Not very noticeable. all wiring is in center console, at cd changer location. order version for cd changer if you plan to add one....or not, same price. I lease, so the cost of prewire and the sirrius receiver was too much. xmdirect/blitzsafe was reasonable for 3 years and removeable.
fllbmw

Quote:
Has anyone heard of/tried/installed a BlitzSafe XM radio in their X3? Apparently this is a very inexpensive way to get XM Radio in your BMW and control it with the sterring wheels controls. Here is some more information:

http://www.xm411.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1804

&

http://www.myradiostore.us/

I read through the forum and on the product site but I still have some questions. Do I need the Satelie pre-wiring in order to make this happen? Also, I've read that you HAVE to use the supplied antenna and can't use the shark fin antena on the X3. If that's the case then what antenna is used on the factory installed satelie radios? My X3 is still on order so I can add the pre-wiring if I need to but I think I'd only do this if I could use the existing shark fin and not have to add another antenna.

Any ideas?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:56 AM

Shark Fin Antenna will work with XM Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
You'll almost definitely have to install the antenna you got with the XM Direct kit (or another XM antenna) in order to pull in a signal. I haven't run into any Sirius antennas that work for XM (or vice versa).
I'm using the Shark Fin antenna with XM Direct and it works fine. You do have to shave a plastic notch off for the antenna connector to slide on - but it definitely works.

You want to connect the black antenna wire with the blue connector to the XM box.

<>

-T

2004 X3 with Sat Ready Radio

Last edited by Sonoman707; 06-16-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman707
<>
How did you mount the XM Direct unit? Does it include a mounting bracket that utilizes the predrilled holes similar the the BMW Sirius unit?

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 06-16-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday
How did you mount the XM Direct unit? Does it include a mounting bracket that utilizes the predrilled holes similar the the BMW Sirius unit?

Jeff
No. The XM Unit is an approx. 4" x 4" square box and about 1" thick. Weighs maybe 3 or 4 ounces. On the corners it has four metal tabs with screw holes. I drilled one of those out to make it a bit larger so it would fit over the upper screw/nut for the amp unit. Not really necessary - but I added a 2 x 2 piece of velco tape on the back and all has been fine for 12,000 miles. Also, the XM unit does not have the heat issues that the Sirius equivalent does.

Not exactly "pretty" I suppose... but it is all hidden behind the removable panel and is secure with no rattles.