Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchFlorida
You can also save a bunch of $$$ by using re-processed oil instad of new oil, when you do your oil changes.
Yes, you can, and your Honda may not notice the difference. Now, if you wanted to put that recycled oil in an E90, on the other hand....

So, if there were two oils on the dealer's shelf, and they both met the required spec, would you buy the more expensive one?

Retired:
2003 X5 3.0 auto, Premium, Titanium Silver
2004 Z4 3.0 SMG, Sport, Premium, Maldives Blue
2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
Old 06-18-2005, 12:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to VDPHB
Mein Auto: 2008 E90 335i
Alright,

This should settle it. Everyone read this C&D article. While the M3 is a bit more extreme than a 325 or 330, I believe it will convince you to use Premium in a BMW (or at least a Saab)

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
Old 06-18-2005, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: E90 hopefully soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
IF (being the operative word here) you would have done a search using Octane... or something like that... you would have found that this topic has already been discussed a few thousand times.
I hope you're not bitchin at me here, I didnt bring up this question! Also, why such a low tolerance for people asking questions that have already been asked? It seems to really ruin some people's days around here I've been monitoring the board for a little while now and it doesnt seem to happen *too* frequently.... is it really a big deal?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
I found your post clear and informative, thanks. The other posts after 11:30am today, not so informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades281
In theory, it is true that in most cases, premium fuel *should* be a waste of money.

The only real difference between premium fuel and regular fuel is the octane, which is merely the fuel's resistance to combustion. It has nothing to do with the energy in the fuel. For optimum power, the fuel in the cylinders must reach critical combustion pressure near the very end of the compression stroke, where its ignition by the spark plug will create the most powerful blast.

In lower performance engines that do not require premium, both the regular-grade and premium fuels will not reach this critical pressure until the the end of the compression stroke as required -- which means you dont need Premium at all. However in BMW and other high-performance engines, cylinder pressures are greater. Regular grade fuel cannot resist combusting on it's own before the piston reaches the top and will ignite prematurely, which can cause engine knock and eventually damage. Thankfully, modern engines have knock sensors, which notifies the computer of this condition and makes adjustments such as retarding the timing. This results in diminished engine power.

Did I lose anyone?? I'm pretty tired, i hope that made sense
Old 06-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Quote:
I hope you're not bitchin at me here, I didnt bring up this question! Also, why such a low tolerance for people asking questions that have already been asked? It seems to really ruin some people's days around here I've been monitoring the board for a little while now and it doesnt seem to happen *too* frequently.... is it really a big deal?
no

My post directed to you... quoted you... it was also:

no

What is an issue of tolerance to you and others that bitch when we suggest a SEARCH... is to those of us who have been around here for the last few years... an issue of respect. For a NEW person to do a search shows respect for those who came before them. To NOT... shows a level of disrespect for both space and the time others have already invested in this sight. It's simple, really.

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!

Last edited by SpeedFreak!; 06-18-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:58 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Not bitchin at you (in particular), but just to follow up....

Why does it bother anyone that we suggest doing a search, especially for those topics which literally have been discussed to death and for which there have been no significant changes to the subjects at hand? Who is being hurt by making the suggestion? And why the resistance to doing the search? After all, you unless you are lucky, it's gonna take a while to get an answser to a new posting, so it is much faster to do a search for the answers, and then if you really can't find any relevant info (impossible to have occured for this topic) then a question is warranted (which is better put in to the most relevant old thread that already exists rather than a new thread due to to way the boards search function works).

Unlike some other types of message forums, the messages to not disappear in to the ether never to be seen again. So, unless deleted by the original poster (which BTW is no longer possible and this change only occurred very recently) or by a mod/admin, the postings stay here forever so they can be read and read and read and reread till the end of time.

Now to some specifics...

Doing a search for the word "octane" in the thread titles brings up 54 threads, spanning January 2002 to the present, and of which almost 40 are specifically about gasoline octane ratings vs our cars (the others either refer to the Roque Octane SSK or are about gasoline octane but aren't relevant to this particular topic).

You can also do a search for "gas" and "fuel" in the titles and you get another 262 and 191 hits. These are more problematic since many of the posts refer not to gasoline itself but to parts of the car with gas and fuel in the names (gas pedal, fuel filter, etc.). Sure, some will be overlaps of the other searchs, but if even 10% of the posts (a rought guess from looking at the titles) are about gasoline octane ratings and don't overlap the other searchs, then that is another 45 threads of relevant information. So now we have 85 threads that talk about what kind of gas to use.

The regular use of the suggestion to search is a relatively recent phenomanon, but more often than not the discussion continues in the new threads anyway, so let be generous and say that 10% of the threads stop at the suggestion to search. That leaves 78 threads where there is full on, relevant disucssion. Not that much about gasoline has changed in 3 years, so all those old threads are just as relevant today as they were then, so there really isn't any need to have yet another thread about gasoline until there is a major change to how gas is formulated or there is a breakthrough in how the internal combustion engine works with that gasoline.

So, you say 78 threads of the course of about 5 years isn't very much. That's only 15 threads a year. Unless the world of gas has changed as suggested above, that is just way to many to be called "not too frequent". But now add to that the even more frequent questions whose subjects areas have also not changed in any significant way over the years (what kind of oil should I use, how often should I change my oil, what tire pressure should I use, what kind of washer fluid to use, what does the yellow oil light mean, why does my car beep at me when its cold, what does ZHP/ZCP/ZPP/ZCW/etc. mean, why is the clown nose flashing, why is the clown nose not flashing, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.) and you get the idea.

To give you a more obvious, and for many much more relevant, example.... This is akin to your kids asking "are we there yet" every 10 seconds while you are on a long drive to grandma's house (or wherever). It's cute the first 3 times, but after that you wanna go postal on them to get them to STFU or you will go insane.

Now back to our regularly scheduled redundant thread already in progress...........

Last edited by operknockity; 06-18-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity

Why does it bother anyone that we suggest doing a search ...but after that you wanna go postal on them to get them to STFU or you will go insane.

Now back to our regularly scheduled redundant thread already in progress...........

I love this place.

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 06-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Registered Drooler

Mein Auto: '12 335i, '11 X3
As if we're already not off-topic enough with the "do a search" tangent, I'll toss this out as flame-bait.

In the car&driver article referenced above, the dodge Ram actually got a measured increase in hp on the dyno from using premium. So to me that says that it's not totally crazy to buy premium for your banger (though i do understand the science and can't explain it...).

Just pointing out that it's not *always* a waste (though i'd never do it). Who to trust!? Who to trust!?

-Mike
(who puts premium in his celcia GTS because the manual says so)
Old 06-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!

I love this place.

By the way, should I put regular air or nitrogen in my Michelin tires? Will they explode if I go past any local chicanes?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Quote:

Why does it bother anyone that we suggest doing a search, especially for those topics which literally have been discussed to death and for which there have been no significant changes to the subjects at hand? Who is being hurt by making the suggestion? And why the resistance to doing the search? After all, you unless you are lucky, it's gonna take a while to get an answser to a new posting, so it is much faster to do a search for the answers, and then if you really can't find any relevant info (impossible to have occured for this topic) then a question is warranted (which is better put in to the most relevant old thread that already exists rather than a new thread due to to way the boards search function works).

Unlike some other types of message forums, the messages to not disappear in to the ether never to be seen again. So, unless deleted by the original poster (which BTW is no longer possible and this change only occurred very recently) or by a mod/admin, the postings stay here forever so they can be read and read and read and reread till the end of time.

Now to some specifics...

Doing a search for the word "octane" in the thread titles brings up 54 threads, spanning January 2002 to the present, and of which almost 40 are specifically about gasoline octane ratings vs our cars (the others either refer to the Roque Octane SSK or are about gasoline octane but aren't relevant to this particular topic).

You can also do a search for "gas" and "fuel" in the titles and you get another 262 and 191 hits. These are more problematic since many of the posts refer not to gasoline itself but to parts of the car with gas and fuel in the names (gas pedal, fuel filter, etc.). Sure, some will be overlaps of the other searchs, but if even 10% of the posts (a rought guess from looking at the titles) are about gasoline octane ratings and don't overlap the other searchs, then that is another 45 threads of relevant information. So now we have 85 threads that talk about what kind of gas to use.

The regular use of the suggestion to search is a relatively recent phenomanon, but more often than not the discussion continues in the new threads anyway, so let be generous and say that 10% of the threads stop at the suggestion to search. That leaves 78 threads where there is full on, relevant disucssion. Not that much about gasoline has changed in 3 years, so all those old threads are just as relevant today as they were then, so there really isn't any need to have yet another thread about gasoline until there is a major change to how gas is formulated or there is a breakthrough in how the internal combustion engine works with that gasoline.

So, you say 78 threads of the course of about 5 years isn't very much. That's only 15 threads a year. Unless the world of gas has changed as suggested above, that is just way to many to be called "not too frequent". But now add to that the even more frequent questions whose subjects areas have also not changed in any significant way over the years (what kind of oil should I use, how often should I change my oil, what tire pressure should I use, what kind of washer fluid to use, what does the yellow oil light mean, why does my car beep at me when its cold, what does ZHP/ZCP/ZPP/ZCW/etc. mean, why is the clown nose flashing, why is the clown nose not flashing, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.) and you get the idea.

To give you a more obvious, and for many much more relevant, example.... This is akin to your kids asking "are we there yet" every 10 seconds while you are on a long drive to grandma's house (or wherever). It's cute the first 3 times, but after that you wanna go postal on them to get them to STFU or you will go insane.

"Here we go again..."

Almost 4,600 posts and about one-third of them seem to be about searching, making someone look like an idiot or the "ZHP war".....talk about an "are we there yet" analogy!

Old 06-22-2005, 02:45 PM

Wait a minute....

What has two o's and loves searching?

a. Google
b. Operknockity
c. No one

Search the forums to find the answer

Bonus question...

If you did an Advanced search for posts by User = operknockity and Keyword = search, how many threads will you find where operknockity has chimed in?

a. 17
b. 51
c. 100
d. 145

Last edited by jetstream23; 06-22-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Black/Terra 330i
Hi Folks...

Hi All, I'm new to the board - picking up my 330i on saturday... but I have a related question...

What about going the opposite direction to the orginial posters question: using the racing gas they sell at some stations: 101 octane?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:35 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstream23
Almost 4,600 posts and about one-third of them seem to be about searching, making someone look like an idiot or the "ZHP war"
That would be a really good feat if you have figured that out. You could not have done it via the search since it only returns 500 hits. But, if you have figured out a way to get more than 500 hits from a search, please do post the method so that the entire community can benefit and you will be hailed as a "god of bimmerfest". If you have no such magical way to get more than 500 hits out of a search, then you must have read all 4600+ posts of mine. That would be no mean feat and you should be congratulated for you intestinal fortitude.

Of course the whole thing is impossible since I have not in fact posted 1500+ posts about the ZHP war, nor searching, and I do not intentionally try to make anyone look like an idiot (not even when they are insulting me).

But hey, if it floats your boat to insult me, go ahead.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:45 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Wait a minute....

What has two o's and loves searching?

a. Google
b. Operknockity
c. No one
That would be me, and I use Google a hell of a lot to do that. Google is a great search tool!

Quote:
Search the forums to find the answer
Uh oh. Better be carefull here, or else someone will accuse you of being one of those dreaded "do a search" folks.

Quote:
Bonus question...

If you did an Advanced search for posts by User = operknockity and Keyword = search, how many threads will you find where operknockity has chimed in?

a. 17
b. 51
c. 100
d. 145
Gosh, I don't even know that answer to that one. But lets jsut for arguments sake say it's D. That would mean that I posted a note with the word search in it a grand total of 3% of my total posts. And I could have put the word search in the post for a whole lot of reasons other than in the phrase "do a search" and other similar phrases. But again let's give you the benefit of doubt here and say that only 1 third of my posts with search are not of the dreaded "do a search" type. That means that 2% of my posts are "do a search" type posts. That's an awful small number of posts. And, a search as you suggest will find posts where I am the author, but the word search is not one of mine, but is in some quoted text that came from someone else. Hmmm..... Looks more and more like the true answer to your bonus question is more like A or B.

Now lets turn the tables.... How many of your posts are there in which you are mocking, insulting, or making fun of me???? The percentage of such posts from you is a LOT higher than the percentage of posts in which I do the same or say "do a search". Hmmmm. Which of us is walking the higher ground now fella.

But hey, if I have amused y'all, so much the better.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:55 AM

Quote:
That would be me, and I use Google a hell of a lot to do that. Google is a great search tool!

Uh oh. Better be carefull here, or else someone will accuse you of being one of those dreaded "do a search" folks.

Gosh, I don't even know that answer to that one. But lets jsut for arguments sake say it's D. That would mean that I posted a note with the word search in it a grand total of 3% of my total posts. And I could have put the word search in the post for a whole lot of reasons other than in the phrase "do a search" and other similar phrases. But again let's give you the benefit of doubt here and say that only 1 third of my posts with search are not of the dreaded "do a search" type. That means that 2% of my posts are "do a search" type posts. That's an awful small number of posts. And, a search as you suggest will find posts where I am the author, but the word search is not one of mine, but is in some quoted text that came from someone else. Hmmm..... Looks more and more like the true answer to your bonus question is more like A or B.

Now lets turn the tables.... How many of your posts are there in which you are mocking, insulting, or making fun of me???? The percentage of such posts from you is a LOT higher than the percentage of posts in which I do the same or say "do a search". Hmmmm. Which of us is walking the higher ground now fella.

But hey, if I have amused y'all, so much the better.
No hard feelings, I was just making some "educated jokes". As for my mocking or making fun of you....I have 2 such posts, both in this thread. As for insults, hopefully you didn't take them that way because that's not how they were intended.

PS - Yes, the answer was D.