Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-22-2005, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: E90 hopefully soon!
Reading the Engine Temperature??

Since the new E90 doesnt have a temperature gauge, what information does it provide to the driver? Say for instante there is a cooling problem with the engine (water pump quits, thermostat stuck, etc) -- with a gauge I would notice the engine running warmer than normal and pull over before the needle is in the RED.

If all we get is an idiot light, I'm afraid it woudlnt come on until the red area, which to me seems like too late a warning before you start running the risk of damaging the engine. Also, I wont be getting I-Drive.

I'm wondering if its anything like the oil level display, where we would get some sense of Normal Operating Temperature, Warmer-Approaching-Hot, and Overheat/Danger.

So does anyone know how it works?
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 330i ZPP, ZSP, 6M
I share your preference for gauges, but recent experience tells me idiot lights have come a long ways. In my 99 Ford, the battery light came on several days before the gauge started to show a reduced charge - the alternator quit a day later. I ignored the idiot light and went with the gauge - which cost me a new battery! I guess both would be great - esp. if the light doesn't tell you how severe the problem is.

John

86 635, red/tan , 5M
90 535, granite/gray, 5M
94 325i, Black/tan, 5M SP
97 M3 sedan, byzanz (copper)/Magma(brown), 5M
Old 04-23-2005, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Post More Than Idiot Lights

The E90 3-series, like all other newer BMW models, has more than just the Engine Temperature Warning light that comes on when worse comes to worst. The rev-counter has a series of lights all the way around it, much like the M3, but the lights are much better executed and have no visible gaps. When the temperature of the engine is low, the lights will extend all the way to 4000rpm or so. As the engine comes to operating temperature, the light bar retreats back to the 7000rpm mark. The lights, therefore, provide you with all the information you need to determine whether you can use the engine to its full pontential yet or not.

The warning light is only needed to determine if the temperature is too high.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:10 PM
.oo=||=oo.

Mein Auto: Bimmers
The E46 has hidden OBC functions which one can unlock to display the actual engine temperature. I expect the E90 to have the same capability. So don't fret. If you really need to access the engine temperature in the E90, you probably will be able to.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:57 AM

Mein Auto: E90 hopefully soon!
So, does anyone know what temperature will set off the warning lights?

Say if the thermostat is a 195 degree stat, and "red zone" on the usual analog gauges is 290*F, I want that light to come on around 260 or so... (just throwing out numbers, but you get the idea)... If the light only comes on after the engine is hot enough to start causing damage or warping, then whats the point of it?

Last edited by hades281; 04-24-2005 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i SE E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Mad
The E90 3-series, like all other newer BMW models, has more than just the Engine Temperature Warning light that comes on when worse comes to worst. The rev-counter has a series of lights all the way around it, much like the M3, but the lights are much better executed and have no visible gaps. When the temperature of the engine is low, the lights will extend all the way to 4000rpm or so. As the engine comes to operating temperature, the light bar retreats back to the 7000rpm mark. The lights, therefore, provide you with all the information you need to determine whether you can use the engine to its full pontential yet or not.

I'm not sure about that. I wish it was true, but when I asked my dealer if the E90 had the variable tacho lights he said that only the M models had this feature. Other people who I have asked on other forums tell me that this feature does not exist on their E90s.

The cold-start warm up phase and the lack of an oil dipstick in the engine bay are the two things that are most worrying me when I pick up my 325i in June.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 250CDI - 328 MSport onway
Picked up my 325 last week. Fantastic car! The level check is made whilst you're driving using the onboard computer - you just have to put your faith in the electronics.

I thought that the red line on the tacho dropped when the engine is cold therefore acting as a king of temp gauge. However, whilst I have a series of bars above the red line which look as if they should move in the same way that the new cruise control indicator moves around the speedo, they remain static. I'm going to drop into the dealer next week to check it out.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i SE E90
Good news about the oil level checking thing. I haven't ordered iDrive with my 325i - I take it it will still measure the oil level for me?

Let us know what the dealer says about your tacho lights - I for one am very interested about this feature. If this feature isn't on the E90, how are you supposed to know when the engine has warmed up enough to take the engine to the redline?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Resurrecting this somewhat old thread with good news!!

I discovered today that the tachometer DOES have a way of telling you if the car is cold or running at normal temerature. I don't know if this is new or it has been posted before, but I didn't find it when searching and it is not in the user's manual.

The red line in the tachometer in my 330i starts at 7000 rpm. However, there are a number of small lines that go from ~6750 to 7000.

When you first start the car, these series of lines are red. After a while, they turn white! I think this means that the temperature is now normal!! I'm psyched... now I will know when the engine is warmed up and can safely start stepping on it!

Last edited by silverado; 07-11-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ldpantoja
Mein Auto: 2006 330i SG / SP / NAV
Does anybody have a pic of this????
Old 07-11-2005, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 06 325i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
When you first start the car, these series of lines are red. After a while, they turn white! I think this means that the temperature is now normal!! I'm psyched... now I will know when the engine is warmed up and can safely start stepping on it!
Good to know. May be the weather is too warm that I never notice it was red when I got it in early May? But still don't know when the oil/water temp getting hotter...

Last edited by ic; 07-11-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:29 PM
BMW addict!

Mein Auto: 06 330i & 07 CLS 63 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Mad

The E90 does not have a variable engine redline , with regards to the lights extending to 4000rpm, the E90 does no such thing. At least in my 330i production 05/05.

Also, I haven't been able to see the red "lines" that are at approx. 6750 rpm. Did a cold-start today and the white lines between 6750 - 7000 rpm are, well, always white. I will double check this on another cold-start. That would be kewl if the "lines" do indeed go from red to white.
SP, PP, Xenon, 19", RCP, TiAg/Blk. Faultless.
Other German: 2007 M-B CLS 63 ///AMG Build: 09/06
P2, Elec. Trunk Closer, Distronic, Parktronic, Bluetooth adapter, Alcantara Anthracite Headliner, Chrome Door Handle Protectors, Wheel Locks, Iridium Silver/Blk Nappa

Last edited by john4.4x5; 07-11-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
I think I was fooled by the Auto lighting setting while I was in my garage this morning (and being half asleep). I'm beginning to think the "red" I was talking about might have been the VERY amber instrument panel lighting. It of course went away when I drove out of the garage.

I will double check again later while being more careful (read awake and caffeinated). But my enthusiasm is waning.

Where are those delete privileges when you need them?!

Old 07-11-2005, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
Just a question about the temp gauge on previous generations 3-Series... How often did you really need to consult them? Mine started cold, in the blue, and then moved on to the middle after a while, and it never moved from there afterwards, on any trip, for more than 5 years owning the car. I wasn't looking to it anymore - The engine has temp sensors all over the place and does a good job of managing it's heat.

So I don't think a warning light coming on when something wrong happens is such a bad thing... At least it'll get the driver's attention.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:09 PM
BMW addict!

Mein Auto: 06 330i & 07 CLS 63 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Just a question about the temp gauge on previous generations 3-Series... How often did you really need to consult them? Mine started cold, in the blue, and then moved on to the middle after a while, and it never moved from there afterwards, on any trip, for more than 5 years owning the car. I wasn't looking to it anymore - The engine has temp sensors all over the place and does a good job of managing it's heat.

So I don't think a warning light coming on when something wrong happens is such a bad thing... At least it'll get the driver's attention.
I agree. No gauge is fine with me. I would use the gague to know when the coolant temp is hot enough to rev the enging. Although it was indeed a COOLANT temp gauge not an engine temp gauge, I would still use it as a reference. Now I suppose i can just keep track of distance traveled to gauge when i should rev it hard. No big deal.
SP, PP, Xenon, 19", RCP, TiAg/Blk. Faultless.
Other German: 2007 M-B CLS 63 ///AMG Build: 09/06
P2, Elec. Trunk Closer, Distronic, Parktronic, Bluetooth adapter, Alcantara Anthracite Headliner, Chrome Door Handle Protectors, Wheel Locks, Iridium Silver/Blk Nappa