Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-07-2005, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E60
Sparkling Graphite vs. Titanium Silver

Hey guys, need a little help here! About to order my 06 330i, cold weather, auto, non-premium (like the leatherette, and trying to save a little dough). I'm having a tough time choosing between SG and TS. Initially, I fell in love with the SG, probably because it's plastered all over the brochure and commercials. But the other night at the dealer, SG kind of looked a little purple under the lights, and maybe a little dull without any light? I know TS is overdone, but it seems I can't go wrong with that one. Why don't they make silver-grey in the E90? Incidentally, I got a great deal if anyone is looking in Michigan
Ads by Google
Old 07-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 330i & '00 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetner
Hey guys, need a little help here! About to order my 06 330i, cold weather, auto, non-premium (like the leatherette, and trying to save a little dough). I'm having a tough time choosing between SG and TS. Initially, I fell in love with the SG, probably because it's plastered all over the brochure and commercials. But the other night at the dealer, SG kind of looked a little purple under the lights, and maybe a little dull without any light? I know TS is overdone, but it seems I can't go wrong with that one. Why don't they make silver-grey in the E90? Incidentally, I got a great deal if anyone is looking in Michigan
Answers:
1) Yes, you like Sparkling Graphite because it looks great in the photos, and is usually photographed under optimum lighting conditions. However, IMO, more lighting conditions than not will make SG look like you're going to get behind the wheel of a fruit drink. Some of the folks on E90Post say it gathers dust quickly as well, but then again so do most darker colors. Nonetheless, it does look grey sometimes.

2) Silver is overdone for a reason: It looks good after many years and when it does fade a bit over time, it still looks good. Its easy to keep clean, can be repaired easily (like white) and contrasts well against any of the black trim on the car.

3) BMW still makes Silver-Grey, but only as a special order color for the E90, which costs about $2500. I think that reasoning is self-explanatory.

Anything else?

Last edited by RichReg; 07-07-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 540i
SG is gonna be the new silver for E90.. = too common
Old 07-07-2005, 10:13 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieku
SG is gonna be the new silver for E90.. = too common
Prolly true. But it's still an awesome color

Old 07-08-2005, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
I have SG, and like it a lot. You do have to keep it clean. The only other colour I would consider is carbon black.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: SG Sport
What is carbon black? Like sapphire black?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 08 BMW 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alstoy
I have SG, and like it a lot. You do have to keep it clean. The only other colour I would consider is carbon black.
I agree
Old 07-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco
What is carbon black? Like sapphire black?
Carbon black has a dark blue metallic hue to it (i.e. it's not really "black" at all).

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 07-08-2005, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetner
Where did you get a great deal? I live in the Detroit area and have just started E90 shopping, so I'd appreciate recommendations for dealerships/salespersons.

(I also sent you a PM regarding this.)
Old 07-10-2005, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: '97 M3/4-Dr Cosmos Black
Titanium Silver

Similar situation except deciding between Jet Black and Titanium Silver. I have a Cosmos Black E36 M3/4, and it's impossible to keep black looking gorgeous. I figured with the 2nd Bimmer, I'd go with silver this time around
Old 07-11-2005, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: Tiag 325i
I have the e90 in tit silver and i love it. I also was trying to decide between SG and Tit, but when i was at the dealer, i noticed that the SG was sort of brownish/gray/purple..etc, it was alittle too busy for me. I went with the silver cause i think it looks clean, smooth, and classy. Its easy to clean and always looks shiny. And i have black lette in mine and the contrast is awesome!
Old 07-11-2005, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
I have Titnanum silver and hate it, you should not get it. no one should. It looks pink with green polka dots in the sunlight and all your friends will think you are gay. I also read that girls only want to be friends with guys who drive Silver cars. It is also a ticket magnet. I got pulled or twice just on the test drive. Don't get silver what ever you do. It is harder to keep clean than black, actually washing it makes it look dirty, and birds are especially attracted to silver. And there is a problem with the BMW silver paint so that if you put the wrong wax on it the whole car will explode like the Lotus in For Your Eyes Only. Oh, and car theives like silver best. They will steal if you park it in the open, because there is a high demand for silver E90's in El Salvador. and they won't just steal your car they will beat you up and lock you in the trunk and then steal your kidneys and you will wake up in a bath tub full of ice with no kidneys just because you bought a silver car. totally not worth it. You should not get Silver, get some other color, some other color that I don't have.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-san
I have Titnanum silver and hate it, you should not get it. no one should. It looks pink with green polka dots in the sunlight and all your friends will think you are gay. I also read that girls only want to be friends with guys who drive Silver cars. It is also a ticket magnet. I got pulled or twice just on the test drive. Don't get silver what ever you do. It is harder to keep clean than black, actually washing it makes it look dirty, and birds are especially attracted to silver. And there is a problem with the BMW silver paint so that if you put the wrong wax on it the whole car will explode like the Lotus in For Your Eyes Only. Oh, and car theives like silver best. They will steal if you park it in the open, because there is a high demand for silver E90's in El Salvador. and they won't just steal your car they will beat you up and lock you in the trunk and then steal your kidneys and you will wake up in a bath tub full of ice with no kidneys just because you bought a silver car. totally not worth it. You should not get Silver, get some other color, some other color that I don't have.
Sounds like you had a bad experience.

For the record though, there is absolutely no way that silver is harder to keep clean than black. That's a no-brainer. A darker car wil always show more dirt much more easily than a lighter car. And I REALLY don't get what you mean by "washing it makes it look dirty"?

I'll make sure I don't visit El Salvador in my E90, though.

Edit: O.K. now I get it. DUH.... I need some coffee before I read these forums....

Last edited by RichReg; 07-11-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
It looks pink with green polka dots in the sunlight and all your friends will think you are gay.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
....that's funny!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
I agree completely. I haven't even gotten my TiAg car (picking it up in Munich later this month) and I already hate it. Ever since I ordered it, I have been having nightmares. I wake up in the middle of the night throwing up dark metallic chunks of jizz, which I believe is a sign from God that I shouldn't have bought a TiAg car, and more importantly, noone else should either.

So, please, in addition to all the tribulations will-san rightfully points out you will suffer, if you buy a TiAg E90, you will be sentenced to never-ending alimentary ailments. Save yourself. Buy that lovely green-phlegm Artik color instead.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot

So, please, in addition to all the tribulations will-san rightfully points out you will suffer, if you buy a TiAg E90, you will be sentenced to never-ending alimentary ailments. Save yourself. Buy that lovely green-phlegm Artik color instead.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i, 1988 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot
I agree completely. I haven't even gotten my TiAg car (picking it up in Munich later this month) and I already hate it. Ever since I ordered it, I have been having nightmares. I wake up in the middle of the night throwing up dark metallic chunks of jizz, which I believe is a sign from God that I shouldn't have bought a TiAg car, and more importantly, noone else should either.

I have Arctic, and rather like it (although I will say that Tiag silver looks REAL Good and encourage everyone and anyone to get it ont he e90.
psyran