Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-11-2005, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: Tiag 325i
Question IS there a difference in gas?

When i had my VW i didnt really have a huge concern about what kind of gas i was using. I usually used 87 at Arco (the cheap place). I know i need to use premium on my E90 BUT does it matter if i buy the gas from Arco? Shell? 76? I heard to use 76, i guess they have premium performance gas. But out here in San Diego, its about $3.03 .. My cousin has a IS 300 and he told me to never buy premium from arco. Cause its supposed to be "bad gas" ...? Also, i know a guy who leases his bmw's and he said he never uses 91, he always uses the middle grade 89... Is this bad as well?
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0
Try a search

This thread was fairly recent:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=octane

Retired:
2003 X5 3.0 auto, Premium, Titanium Silver
2004 Z4 3.0 SMG, Sport, Premium, Maldives Blue
2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
Old 07-12-2005, 12:15 AM

Mein Auto: desk chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl10
I posted the same question concerning gasoline brands (not octane) on that thread, and it went unanswered.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:38 AM

Gasoline Brands

Assuming that we are discussing fuel with an AKI (octane rating) at or near to the BMW recommendation, ie 89 or 91, and within North America, there is little difference between brands. Any of the name brands are reasonable, but that is not to say that they are identical. The base fuel is identical, the additive packages are different. There are federally-mandated levels of gasoline additives, to help modern engines meet the long-term emissions laws, but there are a wide range of opinions on the subtle differences between those additives.

Here is some reading:

http://www.toptiergas.com/

This has a strong flavour of marketing, but there is some basis to it. Note that a brand can not be listed as Top Tier only because they don't use sufficient additives in the regular 87, while their 89/91 would pass.

I like this page, based on the listed credentials of the author:

http://vettenet.org/octane.html

Personally, I use Chevron, Shell, PetroCanada, and Esso, almost exclusively 89 pump octane. I don't use the regional brands. I never fill up when fuel is being delivered to the station. I buy on price (there is always a gas war on), within the above range of suppliers.

Retired:
Old 07-12-2005, 06:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to itznin
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
I'm upset not to see BP/Amoco on the top tier list. I have been using that for as long as I've owned cars.

So far my E90 had 2 fillups, both BP.

I am considering switching to SHELL since that is the only "Top Tier" in my area.

Or am I being insane?

04' Suzuki GSX-R 600 - Blue
Old 07-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Nerd

Mein Auto: ist alt.
Quote:
Assuming that we are discussing fuel with an AKI (octane rating) at or near to the BMW recommendation, ie 89 or 91, and within North America, there is little difference between brands. Any of the name brands are reasonable, but that is not to say that they are identical. The base fuel is identical, the additive packages are different...
The base fuel is identical is almost an understatement. The fuel is pumped all throughout the US in the *same pipeline* even. It's then taken out by one of the companies, the additive package is mixed in, and then trucked to the gas station.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:34 AM

I use Shell and Chevron
Old 07-12-2005, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i SG with Blk Int
Good links

Last edited by CC 330i; 07-12-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 325 wagon
Re "Same Pipeline"

I think when people mention that the gas is identical and that it comes from the "same pipeline" that they are taking what may happen in their geographic area and assuming that it happens across the nation.

The real answer to "is the base gas identical" is "it depends on where you live".

While refineries may share pipelines in some areas, in others they don't. I live in a state with four refineries and I can tell you definitively that

A. There are measurable differences in the base gasoline (though they all meet "spec", some exceed it).

B. Each refinery has a truck rack and delivers to a select group of stations. The X refinery delivers to the X stations. The Y refinery delivers to the Y stations.

Further, it's true that the "spec" for the gasoline depends on where you are. The spec in Los Angeles is different than from the spec in New Orleans, for example. So a Shell station in LA has different gas than a Shell station in NO.

Nationally, you can usually depend on a major brand to provide good quality gas. Locally, you may find one brand that works better. It's also possible (but not always true) that your local gas is all the same. The closer you are to more than one refinery, the more likely that there are differences.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
Why Do My Posts Keep Disappearing From This Forum!
What do you mean by disappearing? Some of the threads are being moved by the moderators, but there is a redirect, so that you can follow them from the place that the thread have been posted.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530i sport
mobil 91 from chev 91

i went from Chevron to Mobil (not planned) and i liked the Mobil better. i think the chevron is too oxigenated. that would be here in the greater LA area. the Mobil felt richer, more concentrated, and so then also like a slightly higher octane. maybe the chevron gas has too many detergents or techron too.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCTM2
i went from Chevron to Mobil (not planned) and i liked the Mobil better. i think the chevron is too oxigenated. that would be here in the greater LA area. the Mobil felt richer, more concentrated, and so then also like a slightly higher octane. maybe the chevron gas has too many detergents or techron too.
Gee, are we talking about gasoline or wine?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i SG with Blk Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
What do you mean by disappearing? Some of the threads are being moved by the moderators, but there is a redirect, so that you can follow them from the place that the thread have been posted.
Sorry, was the wrong forum.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:42 PM

People are always telling me to stick to one brand. Doesn't seem at all necessary if you say that most gasoline comes from the same refinery.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to quackman
Mein Auto: 2006 electric red 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p
Gee, are we talking about gasoline or wine?
hahah, seriously :P
How can one detect those subtleties in gasoline?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:43 PM
E90 325i

Mein Auto: E90 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackman
hahah, seriously :P
How can one detect those subtleties in gasoline?
Taste usually
Old 07-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Nerd

Mein Auto: ist alt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by '01 325it
I think when people mention that the gas is identical and that it comes from the "same pipeline" that they are taking what may happen in their geographic area and assuming that it happens across the nation.

The real answer to "is the base gas identical" is "it depends on where you live".

While refineries may share pipelines in some areas, in others they don't. I live in a state with four refineries and I can tell you definitively that

A. There are measurable differences in the base gasoline (though they all meet "spec", some exceed it).

B. Each refinery has a truck rack and delivers to a select group of stations. The X refinery delivers to the X stations. The Y refinery delivers to the Y stations.

Further, it's true that the "spec" for the gasoline depends on where you are. The spec in Los Angeles is different than from the spec in New Orleans, for example. So a Shell station in LA has different gas than a Shell station in NO.

Nationally, you can usually depend on a major brand to provide good quality gas. Locally, you may find one brand that works better. It's also possible (but not always true) that your local gas is all the same. The closer you are to more than one refinery, the more likely that there are differences.

There are differences in gas according to location, certainly. It even varies according to the time of year. But, if you're shopping between two places on the corner (like most people are doing) there is little difference between the two. It is all in the additive package.

Here's how it comes down the pipeline, for example.

Distributors take some of the common gas out of the pipeline, mix in their additive package, and truck it *locally*. We just use way too much gas to use trucks to deliver everywhere. So instead, a common pipeline is used.

For more info, check out this page:

Association of Oil Pipelines
Old 07-13-2005, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznin
I'm upset not to see BP/Amoco on the top tier list. I have been using that for as long as I've owned cars.

So far my E90 had 2 fillups, both BP.

I am considering switching to SHELL since that is the only "Top Tier" in my area.

Or am I being insane?
Shell would be happy.

Does your car run OK on BP/Amoco? Is that station more convenient? Are the other stations the same price, or more expensive? Answer yes to the above, and you have little reason to change. Insane may be too strong a word...

Your car doesn't require a top tier gasoline. Buying one may help, depending on what you used before. Your call.

Retired:
Old 07-13-2005, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iateyourcheese
The base fuel is identical is almost an understatement. The fuel is pumped all throughout the US in the *same pipeline* even. It's then taken out by one of the companies, the additive package is mixed in, and then trucked to the gas station.
Slight disagreement with this comment. I don't think that the base fuel is chemically identical, certainly not all the time. It may be, depending on where you live, and as another poster noted, how many refineries serve your market. What I meant is that since we are discussing name brands, the base fuel is for all intents and purposes identical, it is a commodity. The additive package is what distinguishes it, and again, discussing name brand stations, there is little if any difference. If one brand seems to work better in your vehicle, then go for it. Just don't expect to find differences. There is likely more direct impact on you depending on the convenience of the station, any other benefits due to marketing alliances, the chances of an employee at a station ripping off your credit card number, etc, etc.

Retired:
Old 07-13-2005, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
After reading this thread I went to one of the old ones where I tried to spur a discussion of Sam's Club gasoline....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post1256758

Old 07-13-2005, 07:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to itznin
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Shell would be happy.

Does your car run OK on BP/Amoco? Is that station more convenient? Are the other stations the same price, or more expensive? Answer yes to the above, and you have little reason to change. Insane may be too strong a word...

Your car doesn't require a top tier gasoline. Buying one may help, depending on what you used before. Your call.
Well like I said I only filled the E90 up twice, both times I've used BP since that is what I used forever with my old cars (mainly Acura TL Type-S for the past 4 years)

In general the prices are the same but BP has a special where the PREMIUM is the same price as the MIDDLE level on Wednesdays and Fridays. Since the E90 and the Acura both required PREMIUM it seems like a decent deal.

As far as how it performs? I only put in BP so I wouldn't have anything to compare to. I guess I should try a few...

Does anyone else use BP or can anyone compare BP to another type in their E90?

04' Suzuki GSX-R 600 - Blue
Old 07-13-2005, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 325 wagon
[QUOTE=iateyourcheese]There are differences in gas according to location, certainly. It even varies according to the time of year. But, if you're shopping between two places on the corner (like most people are doing) there is little difference between the two. It is all in the additive package.

In many parts of the country, that is accurate, although it depends somewhat on the tankage at the end of the pipeline. Refinery X may send their product through a shared pipeline to a dedicated refinery x tank at a distribution center. It isn't a given that the products mix in the pipeline. Further, if you live in the vicinity of a refinery, the product is trucked directly from the refinery. Refinery X will provide brand X stations (although it's hard to tell these days who owns what stations - I think Shell has the rights to Texaco and Havoline for a few more years as part of the breakup of Equilon (Shell/Texaco/Saudi Aramco) and the formation of ChevronTexaco).

We agree that no matter where you are, a major brand will provide a good quality gasoline. Whether it's actually the SAME gasoline is a point of dispute, but as long as it is good quality maybe that doesn't matter to the original poster.