Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Soft paint?

Anyone notice that the paint seems to be much easier to scratch on the E60s? This is my 3rd black bimmer..... and the other 2 seemed to have a much harder paint.

My detailer strongly recommends the clear bra on the darker colored E60s because he thinks the paint is softer than previous models too.

Comments?
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Ågent99's Avatar
Ågent99 Ågent99 is offline
Moderator, 5-Series
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,931
Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Seems to me that the paint on all cars is weaker due to water-based paint vs. the solvent types (more eco-friendly). My E39's hood is decently pock-marked in several places on the hood. The paint still cleans up beautifully but the hood is a bit of a mess....

Since my 545i is leased, I'm not going to worry too much about the paint other than to keep it clean and waxed regularly...no clear bra for this car.
__________________
2001 530i/5 (E39), Topaz Blue/Stone Green/Black (118k miles) *very rare interior/exterior color combo*
2005 545i/SMG (E60), ED Order, Titanium Grey/Grey (lease over)
2015 335i, ED Order Summer 2015
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
Seems to me that the paint on all cars is weaker due to water-based paint vs. the solvent types (more eco-friendly). My E39's hood is decently pock-marked in several places on the hood. The paint still cleans up beautifully but the hood is a bit of a mess....

Since my 545i is leased, I'm not going to worry too much about the paint other than to keep it clean and waxed regularly...no clear bra for this car.
Hummmmmm, my E39 was a 1999 and the paint was great.

Now... each time I wash my E60, I seem to find a new (minor) scratch here and there.... and I am very anal about everything with this car.

These minor scratches can probably be taken out easily each time I have it detailed, so I'm not too freaked out about it... just curious if anyone else had noticed it.

I love black, but if this is what the future looks like.... it will probably be my last.
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Alex Baumann Alex Baumann is offline
Ex-Dictator
Location: *
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 26,163
Mein Auto: Saab
Welcome to the environmental friendly world of car manufacturing
__________________
"Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked; leadership is defined by results not attributes."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-05-2005, 02:46 PM
stream's Avatar
stream stream is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco Bay area
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,940
Mein Auto: '05 545i
BMW (and most other companies) uses water based paints now for environmental reasons, which are softer than solvent based paints previously used.

I was pleasantly surprised at the durability of my E60 paint, compared to the paint on the last few Carreras I've owned. Same is true for windshields--I read a lot of folks complaining about windshield chips, but--again--I've had much better luck on my 545i than on the past few Carreras I've owned.
__________________
2005 545i - sold
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-05-2005, 05:41 PM
alpinewhite325i alpinewhite325i is offline
I love my beautiful wife.
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,154
Mein Auto: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33
Anyone notice that the paint seems to be much easier to scratch on the E60s? This is my 3rd black bimmer..... and the other 2 seemed to have a much harder paint.

My detailer strongly recommends the clear bra on the darker colored E60s because he thinks the paint is softer than previous models too.

Comments?
If you're keeping the car, I'd strongly consider the clear bra.

From what I've read, it seems to be an excellent product.

However, I wonder if after 10 years it will be clear or yellow??
__________________
'01 325i
5sp
I Love my beautiful wife
moonroof:
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite325i
If you're keeping the car, I'd strongly consider the clear bra.

From what I've read, it seems to be an excellent product.

However, I wonder if after 10 years it will be clear or yellow??
They are guaranteed for 5 years not to yellow/bubble/crack/peal... blah blah blah... I rarely keep a car that long, so should be fine.
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 AM
mrbelk mrbelk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alpharetta, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33
They are guaranteed for 5 years not to yellow/bubble/crack/peal... blah blah blah... I rarely keep a car that long, so should be fine.
I saw an E46 M3 this weekend (on the "dais" at a porsche dealership, no less) in Alpine White with a clear bra. It looked terrible. The clear bras may work better on darker colors, but there was a sharp delineation where the plastic ended, and the plastic as a whole was a completely different color than the paint.

-MrB
__________________
(ED 5/11/13) '13 328i M-Sport Estoril Blue II/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 5/25/10) '11 335i M-Sport Le Mans Blue/Oyster, Trip Journal
(ED 5/19/08) '08 X3 3.0si Alpine/Tobacco, Trip Journal
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk
I saw an E46 M3 this weekend (on the "dais" at a porsche dealership, no less) in Alpine White with a clear bra. It looked terrible. The clear bras may work better on darker colors, but there was a sharp delineation where the plastic ended, and the plastic as a whole was a completely different color than the paint.

-MrB
MrB,

Are the peaches ready to pick yet?
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-06-2005, 10:40 AM
mrbelk mrbelk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alpharetta, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33
MrB,

Are the peaches ready to pick yet?
Don't know. I don't really like peaches.

-MrB
__________________
(ED 5/11/13) '13 328i M-Sport Estoril Blue II/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 5/25/10) '11 335i M-Sport Le Mans Blue/Oyster, Trip Journal
(ED 5/19/08) '08 X3 3.0si Alpine/Tobacco, Trip Journal
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-06-2005, 04:31 PM
alpinewhite325i alpinewhite325i is offline
I love my beautiful wife.
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,154
Mein Auto: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33
They are guaranteed for 5 years not to yellow/bubble/crack/peal... blah blah blah... I rarely keep a car that long, so should be fine.
I'd say give it a try!
__________________
'01 325i
5sp
I Love my beautiful wife
moonroof:
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-06-2005, 06:09 PM
EdCT's Avatar
EdCT EdCT is offline
zeddy
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,358
Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33
Anyone notice that the paint seems to be much easier to scratch on the E60s? This is my 3rd black bimmer..... and the other 2 seemed to have a much harder paint.

My detailer strongly recommends the clear bra on the darker colored E60s because he thinks the paint is softer than previous models too.

Comments?
Aside from a slightly uncomfortable driver's seat, the paint is my biggest gripe with my E46, I've got only 45k on a five-year old car, yet the hood is stone chip city.

Mine's Jet Black, too.

Ed
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT
Aside from a slightly uncomfortable driver's seat, the paint is my biggest gripe with my E46, I've got only 45k on a five-year old car, yet the hood is stone chip city.

Mine's Jet Black, too.

Ed
Hummmmmmmmm, guess the paint really has changed. My E39 had 80K on it, (was 6 years old) and I had maybe 4 minor rock chips on my hood.
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-07-2005, 09:40 AM
anlauf anlauf is offline
Registered User
Location: California (Norte)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 96
Mein Auto: POS
Just took the Dingolfing plant tour. In reviewing the Dingolfing plant info...the paint shop is now water-less...they are using a power-coat technology and baking it on. Go to the Dingolfing plant site and take the virtual tour for details.

It is correct that the organic paint was replaced by water soluble paint technology...but the water based paints themselves have been replaced.
__________________
Anlauf
2006 530 Sport Manual, Silver Gray/Black, Premium, Nav, Sirius, Split Rear Seats, Shades, Al Cube interior trim
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-10-2005, 03:20 PM
RobertB RobertB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Huntsville, AL - Rocket City!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: 06 530xi, 03 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT
Aside from a slightly uncomfortable driver's seat, the paint is my biggest gripe with my E46, I've got only 45k on a five-year old car, yet the hood is stone chip city.

Mine's Jet Black, too.

Ed
My 1999 E39 in Black with 71k miles has chips-a-plenty on the hood, bumper, mirrors, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-10-2005, 05:43 PM
remington's Avatar
remington remington is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California Sunshine
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 159
Mein Auto: 05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33
They are guaranteed for 5 years not to yellow/bubble/crack/peal... blah blah blah... I rarely keep a car that long, so should be fine.
If you rarely keep a car 5 years I have to wonder what the point of the clear bra is. I lease my cars through my office so every 3 years it's a new one so I never get the clear bra. If I was keeping it longer I probably would.
__________________
2006 E46 M3
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-11-2005, 02:13 AM
johnf's Avatar
johnf johnf is offline
John Firestone
Location: Bremerhaven, Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,602
Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream
BMW (and most other companies) uses water based paints now for environmental reasons, which are softer than solvent based paints previously used.
My previous car, a '93 318i, used some of the first water-borne paints which were too hard. The hood was covered with small rock nicks in the center of Pfennig/dime-sized disks where the clear coat had shattered. It was not a pretty sight.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by remington
If you rarely keep a car 5 years I have to wonder what the point of the clear bra is. I lease my cars through my office so every 3 years it's a new one so I never get the clear bra. If I was keeping it longer I probably would.
That would be called "protecting my investment".........
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Ågent99's Avatar
Ågent99 Ågent99 is offline
Moderator, 5-Series
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,931
Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
My take on the whole clearbra thing: It extends the time for a front-end repaint.

Yes, the clearbra works and protects what it covers. However, the unprotected areas beyond the clearbra will still suffer...they just don't suffer as much as the protected areas HAD the clearbra not been installed.

So, in the end, you will have chips in the areas beyond the protection but it will take longer for those to accumulate to the point where you'd consider a repaint. Instead of repainting in 3 years with no protection, you repaint in 5 years with the protection.

Of course, this is all subjective and I just made up the numbers but I think you get my labored point.
__________________
2001 530i/5 (E39), Topaz Blue/Stone Green/Black (118k miles) *very rare interior/exterior color combo*
2005 545i/SMG (E60), ED Order, Titanium Grey/Grey (lease over)
2015 335i, ED Order Summer 2015
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
My take on the whole clearbra thing: It extends the time for a front-end repaint.

Yes, the clearbra works and protects what it covers. However, the unprotected areas beyond the clearbra will still suffer...they just don't suffer as much as the protected areas HAD the clearbra not been installed.

So, in the end, you will have chips in the areas beyond the protection but it will take longer for those to accumulate to the point where you'd consider a repaint. Instead of repainting in 3 years with no protection, you repaint in 5 years with the protection.

Of course, this is all subjective and I just made up the numbers but I think you get my labored point.
True........ just talked to my sister yesterday. She bought my 1999 E39 a few months ago and recently "pinched" a rock with her tire and it "rolled" up the side of the door leaving 4 chips!
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-21-2005, 06:39 AM
vern vern is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,718
Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Don't know if you would call it soft or hard paint.I just came back from a road trip to Fla. from N.J. 3000+ miles using I95 most of the time.If you guys know I95 its probably one of the worst interstate highways in the country as far as road condition and debris on the road way.When I got back home I did a complete detail job and didn't find ONE chip on the paint,(you could call it lucky),I took the same trip in my 99 323i and 01 330ci and came back loaded with chips in the paint.The point being what ever BMW is doing to there paint its a big improvement.
cheers
vern
__________________
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern
Don't know if you would call it soft or hard paint.I just came back from a road trip to Fla. from N.J. 3000+ miles using I95 most of the time.If you guys know I95 its probably one of the worst interstate highways in the country as far as road condition and debris on the road way.When I got back home I did a complete detail job and didn't find ONE chip on the paint,(you could call it lucky),I took the same trip in my 99 323i and 01 330ci and came back loaded with chips in the paint.The point being what ever BMW is doing to there paint its a big improvement.
cheers
vern
Vern,

My initial comment was how I am noticing this car accumulates (minor) scratches and swirls much more easily that my others. I am soooo anal with washing/drying etc....
- I wash front to back on the hood, roof and trunk.
- I wash vertically on the front, sides and back.
- I only use cotton microfiber towels
- blah blah blah

All of my other bimmers were Jet Black as well. This may well be my last black one.
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mud Flaps for M3 Riuster M Series 42 02-28-2005 05:55 AM
CMA Newsletter 17 (Great read on German Paint) GSR13 The Detail Department 21 12-04-2003 08:12 PM
Paint on paint Mathew General BMW 3 12-01-2002 05:35 PM
Auto Paint Questions... Karl General BMW 10 07-30-2002 08:33 AM
Soft Paint (Repaint?) TD330ci General BMW 5 01-09-2002 05:54 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms