Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-01-2005, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 325 E90 April 2005
Got my 325i Today!

I have finally got my 325i today. I only drove 40km on the clock, most of which was in traffic but still thoroughly enjoyed the drive. The active cruise control is really nice and i think its a great feature that hasnt been discussed much in this forum, the sensor in front makes the car look really cool. I thought i would perhaps feel unsafe with the car being left to making the decision to brake, but actually it makes perfect sense the way BMW have set the display to show that it is actually "seeing" the car in front! Somehow they have managed to get the car to ignore cars on either lane, yet still track the car in front even in a turn!

However i would love to be able to turn off the safety feature that disables TV once you pull off from a stop, I dont want to watch to TV whilst travelling at 200km/h but in traffic when you move one or two car lengths forward at say 10km/h its a real pain shutting on and off.

The only real gripe i have with the car is having to really slam the doors for the doors to shut
Ads by Google
Old 06-01-2005, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i E90
TV? Do you mean the Navigation map?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstars
TV? Do you mean the Navigation map?
No i mean TV-Television CNN etc.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanich
IHowever i would love to be able to turn off the safety feature that disables TV once you pull off from a stop, I dont want to watch to TV whilst travelling at 200km/h but in traffic when you move one or two car lengths forward at say 10km/h its a real pain shutting on and off.
Don't like the safety feature huh? How about the US market safety feature: No TV at all!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 03 325
Congrats
Old 06-01-2005, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
However i would love to be able to turn off the safety feature that disables TV once you pull off from a stop, I dont want to watch to TV whilst travelling at 200km/h but in traffic when you move one or two car lengths forward at say 10km/h its a real pain shutting on and off.
So you can watch TV on the Nav system when the car is stopped?? This is the first time I've heard this feature!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i E90
Yeah, me too. Could it be a US disabled feature? So let me get this straight... you can watch television on your idrive screen while parked? Can you watch DVD movies as well? Never heard of this either.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Hey swanich congratulations!!!
My 325i is on order with Autobahn BMW, due in a few weeks.
I also considered the TV function, but was told you only get the 4 'public' stations (TV1,2,3 and etv) - you say you get CNN??? What stations are included?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i on order
Seriously, you buy a car to commute places, not to watch TV. We're already all distracted enough by cellphones, don't add TV to the mix. If someone drove into me while they were watching TV, I'd deck them and quite happily face the resulting lawsuit.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charln
Hey swanich congratulations!!!
My 325i is on order with Autobahn BMW, due in a few weeks.
I also considered the TV function, but was told you only get the 4 'public' stations (TV1,2,3 and etv) - you say you get CNN??? What stations are included?
I used CNN merely as an example for an international flair, didnt want to confuse the topic with SABC 1, SABC 2, SABC 3, ETV, Mnet Open Time thats the four channels that display in SA

I will upload some pics i took on the drive home tonight of the TV.

DVD's DO NOT work, Region 1 nor Region 2
Old 06-02-2005, 11:09 AM
BMW addict!

Mein Auto: 06 330i & 07 CLS 63 AMG
Quote:
I used CNN merely as an example for an international flair, didnt want to confuse the topic with SABC 1, SABC 2, SABC 3, ETV, Mnet Open Time thats the four channels that display in SA

I will upload some pics i took on the drive home tonight of the TV.

DVD's DO NOT work, Region 1 nor Region 2
Thanks for the pics! Many will be wating for them.
SP, PP, Xenon, 19", RCP, TiAg/Blk. Faultless.
Other German: 2007 M-B CLS 63 ///AMG Build: 09/06
P2, Elec. Trunk Closer, Distronic, Parktronic, Bluetooth adapter, Alcantara Anthracite Headliner, Chrome Door Handle Protectors, Wheel Locks, Iridium Silver/Blk Nappa
Old 06-02-2005, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanwagon
Seriously, you buy a car to commute places, not to watch TV. We're already all distracted enough by cellphones, don't add TV to the mix. If someone drove into me while they were watching TV, I'd deck them and quite happily face the resulting lawsuit.
I believe the OP indicated that they were not watching TV while driving.

I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement, from my experience, people in the US do a lot of dangerous acts while driving that most countries prohibit (cell phones for example). Probably one reason that the TV option is prohibited. Then again, it could be because people are so quick to slap a lawsuit on you that it's not worth the risk to BMW.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:45 AM

The Picture as promised:

Old 06-02-2005, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Just for the record I hate you guys that get the TV option. Actually I'm really incredibly jealous and wish we could get that in the US. I know it's just a flagrant waste of money, but I sure wish I could watch some cartoons while stopped in traffic.

I also got the ACC option on my E90 and I believe the words "bitchin technology" escaped my lips many times the first few days I used it. It really is so nice to be able to set the cruise and not have to worry about all the knuckleheads that drive slow in the left lanes here in the US. It's so bad here that ordinary cruise control is almost worthless unless you want to just sit in the slow lane (not necessarily the right lane here).

Unfortunately I'm discovering the worst part of the European Delivery process. The wait until redelivery when you check the freight tracking web site 12 times a day to see where the ship with my car is.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Is there anyway if I do ED to get this option enabled while i am cruising around in Germany?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboo
I believe the OP indicated that they were not watching TV while driving.

I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement, from my experience, people in the US do a lot of dangerous acts while driving that most countries prohibit (cell phones for example). Probably one reason that the TV option is prohibited. Then again, it could be because people are so quick to slap a lawsuit on you that it's not worth the risk to BMW.
I believe that he said it would be nice to have it work at 10km/h or so while in traffic - just the time when you really don't want to be distracted. My opinion (and yes, you can call it a leap to a judgement, I'm quite ok with that) is that the operator of a vehicle has no business watching TV when it is moving at all.

I also think you've reinforced my point - a lot of people do a lot of dangerous acts while driving; this would just add to the distraction factor. And I'll reiterate - if someone drove into my car because they were distracted by watching a TV instead of focusing on driving, I'd be exceedingly ticked off at them, quite possibly enough to take a swing at them :-/

And just to be clear: I'm talking specifically about a driver-viewable TV, not about a TV that is viewable only by rear-seat passengers.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
I believe that he said it would be nice to have it work at 10km/h or so while in traffic - just the time when you really don't want to be distracted. My opinion (and yes, you can call it a leap to a judgement, I'm quite ok with that) is that the operator of a vehicle has no business watching TV when it is moving at all.

I also think you've reinforced my point - a lot of people do a lot of dangerous acts while driving; this would just add to the distraction factor. And I'll reiterate - if someone drove into my car because they were distracted by watching a TV instead of focusing on driving, I'd be exceedingly ticked off at them, quite possibly enough to take a swing at them :-/

And just to be clear: I'm talking specifically about a driver-viewable TV, not about a TV that is viewable only by rear-seat passengers.
I'm with batmanwagon on this one. Driving = No TV. Not wearing a seat belt endangers yourself. Watching TV while driving endangers everyone around the driver too. I still think it would be cool to watch TV while parked, however, here in the US.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:15 PM

I did say up until 10km/h, as often you stop for a sec move forward for a sec, as my car is equiped with ACC i dont see why the car cant watch out and brake for me should i get close to rear ending the guy in front of me..

There must be a way of changing this setting!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 535d
I'm wasn't advocating watching TV while driving. I'd also be a little concerned about the TV option being offered if most of drivers around me everyday started driving at the age of 16, often have no formal training, normally have more disregard for rules, can drive vehicles unfit for the road, are allowed to talk on cell phones and can eat their lunch at the same time. I'd probably take a swing too.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Amen.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
Last year I saw a pickup truck in which the driver had installed one of those portable LCD TV screns on top of the rearview mirror! Not only was he wandering left and right in his lane but also he had no way do see directly behind. Brilliant, really.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:58 AM

Well well well, I have had my car 6 days now and really getting well aquainted with the beast. I thought its now time for me to give back to the "fest" by answering as many questions as I possibly can. Although I have covered quite a bit of mileage, certain things are sometimes neither black or white in such cases you will have to go with my opininon

My car was delivered with one fault: the voice control does not work, will give feedback once BMW has sorted it, I have been most impressed with my dealers assurance to remedy the fault and the provision of a courtesy car so as not to inconvience me! Well done Jeremy (Auto Atlantic V & A) !!! (in fairness he didnt deliver the car and organised delivery to my home town, so, he has in fact never seen my car)

Most of the questions in this forum have been about options and the first one I want to discuss is iDrive, i cannot emphasize how important this option is. What alot of people have mentioned is its "silly/confused/complicated/expensive etc etc" I have to disagree this car is designed for the "ipod generation" it is by no means complicated and 5mins at most is all that is needed to get to grips using it, the position of the controller is perfect and I find it comfortable and intuitive to use. I cannot imagine the car without it, the navigation is great (if a little overpriced) the car functionality is also expanded by this feature (setup etc.). furthermore the graphic display of the front and rear PDC via the screen is a nice touch and i have been using it quite a bit. Lastly having the telephone address book and caller ID coming up bold on the screen is huge plus to driving safely.

Active cruise control is another must, although i would say keep it for the automatics, i have a manual transmission so it couldve been better. But when its activated and following the car ahead it will definately impress! Driving on city highways with a speed set of about 150km/h you can never quite maintain that speed with all the idiots on SA roads but the car slows to the speeds and accelerates as and when the traffic pattern allow. BE WARNED the first few times you use it, it takes quite a bit of courage to let your car making braking decisions but the car soon wins ones trust!

The Logic 7 sound system is fantastic and i dont think 99% of the public will need anything more, i havent heard the standard sound on an E90 but the Logic 7 has excellent range and clarity.

Bluetooth: integrated without any problems with my Sony Ericsson T630 it uploaded the address book and again with iDrive is really easy to use whilst driving. The sound quality for both parties is superb and definately above par.

As already brought up PDC is a great feature but most people have had access to drive a car with such features so i wont discuss it.

Further options i have that i would say are worth it:
Sports Package: makes the car look like SEX ON WHEELS
Rear Electric Blind: a practical device thats easy to use and if you car spends anytime in the sun well worth it
Leather trim: the seats are comfortable , look and feel great and the smell inside is awesome!
TV Tuner: even thought the picture blanks out whilst driving been able to listen to TV traffic reports, news etc. is nice and something different from the normal crap on radio.

Driving the car, i have found the start/stop button really no problem and have got used to it, and quite like it.Push the button and the engine note is stunning, really unique to BMW and reason enough to get the 6cylinder over the 4 or oilburner! The car seems adequate powerwise at lower revs (remember Johannesburg is at 5000feet+ above sea level) but you only feel the "kick" at 3500+ revs at which time the car accelerates like the space shuttle. i have now driven at 215km/h the car feels as solid as an E46 does at 160km/h, it really does feel safe and in corners the amount of grip seems to be endless. In tighter roads the car is a whole lot of fun and again the steering is precise and the grip reassuring, the car makes you believe you are invincible and you get the impression all the electronics(skid control etc) are looking after you should your ambition outweigh your driving ability. After each trip you start making excuses and looking for places to drive to. I can honestly say the only annoyance from driving the car comes in with brake dust, i reckon i will be spending many weekends washing my rims!

In my opinion the car is almost perfect, BMW really needs to sort out the iPod integration urgently, Sirrius radio wouldve been great i really miss it, but we dont get coverage at the bottom of africa i probably shouldve ordered Xenon lights and electric seats, but i am extremely happy and wouldnt trade it for the world!!!!

For those who have got their cars i trust you have had similar driving enjoyment, for those waiting for their E90's hang in there the wait is worth it! and for those who havent ordered one, what on earth are you waiting for? you live only once!

Last edited by swanich; 06-06-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
I must be like a monk next to you guys. I often prefer simple silence and scenery rather than cell phone, radio and other gibberish.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse
Is the cruise control sensor the round black dome located in the front grill?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330i PP/SP
Quote:
The only real gripe i have with the car is having to really slam the doors for the doors to shut
Congrats on your purchase. Not sure if you've remedied this as you didn't mention it in your last post. As for your door concern. The doors don't shut properly because there is air trapped inside the car. If all the other windows and doors are closed, it creates a seal and when you go to close the door, excess air tries to escape and it slows down the door like an invisible barrier (resistance). You won't have trouble closing the door if one of the windows in the car is open a tiny bit.

And i'm on board with your review. This car is indeed amazing. I live 5.5 kms from my office and i have ridden my bike to work every summer. (I put only 6000km/year on my last car.) But now i find myself going 20 km out of the way to get to the office.