Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-27-2005, 10:48 PM
SmoothCruise SmoothCruise is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,769
Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Why drool over an M6, and not an RD6?

Now I've read many times in this forum and on others that tuners can only take a 'normal' 6 and make it into a second rate M6. Or any normal BMW 'n', and make it into a second rate BMW M'n'. But what about this:

http://www.racingdynamics.com/Locali..._E63_Intro.htm

Don't you think that will beat an M6?


I wonder what the SC stands for in R75 SC. I would think supercharger, but every RD car I've read about was normally aspirated, and Racing Dynamics seems to firmly believe in the NA-rule.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-27-2005, 10:56 PM
SpeedFreak!'s Avatar
SpeedFreak! SpeedFreak! is offline
Certified Organic Fanatic
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,526
Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Awesome... though I must say it's not to difficult to go sideways in the rain... Now a dry drift (which I'm certain it will do easily) with tire smoke dumping out the back... now THAT would be a site...

Oh... one more thing... couldn't they pleeeeease come up with a different freakin' wheel design?
__________________

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-28-2005, 12:55 AM
EuroRocket EuroRocket is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 61
Send a message via MSN to EuroRocket
Mein Auto: BMW soon to be! volvo/toy
M6 is lighter esp with V10. That mod 6er V12. Hmm, I think M6 can beat it due to weight.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-28-2005, 09:01 AM
SmoothCruise SmoothCruise is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,769
Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroRocket
M6 is lighter esp with V10. That mod 6er V12. Hmm, I think M6 can beat it due to weight.

I think it would be too close to call on a 1/4 mile track. And RD usually make engines with alot more torque than BMW. I'd like to see the final numbers, if I can find them. And I wouldn't be surprised if the RD6 beats it, and not barely, but significantly. The RD6 certainly has a higher top speed. These Italians seem just as skilled as BMW in making engines.

Now Racing Dynamics also makes a 6er with an RD50 motor. RD50 is a 5.0L V8 engine with 480HP, and more torque than the BMW V10. (Forgot the figures). This might actually be faster to 100km/h than the M6 due to a smaller, lighter motor?

Racing Dynamics also has an RD50S motor, which they haven't placed in a 6er body, yet. This motor is 5.0L V8 engine, 515HP, and 440ft-lb torque. It has about 60 ft-lbs more torque and 15 more HP than the BMW V10, and furthermore max HP and torque is reached at much lower RPMs than the BMW V10, and it's a V8! I'm sure this could beat an M6.

What I want to know, is how does Racing Dynamics do it? For the same displacement, and number of cylinders, they are able to squeeze out *alot* more torque and hp than a BMW engine and at lower rpms. All of this is normal aspiration. What is the deal?

I look at the price of these engines... which alone cost as much as an entire BMW 3er and sometimes more than my BMW 6er. I'm wondering what they are putting in those engines.

Last edited by SmoothCruise; 07-28-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-30-2005, 11:21 PM
SmoothCruise SmoothCruise is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,769
Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise
These Italians seem just as skilled as BMW in making engines.
Plus the RD V12 is direct injection, which the BMW V10 is not. Man... I want to take a tour of RD's labs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-30-2005, 11:25 PM
AriciU's Avatar
AriciU AriciU is offline
M Enthusiast
Location: Somewhere
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 268
Mein Auto: 645Ci
I bet you can buy 2 M6's for the price of one RD modified 6er :P
__________________
BMW 645Ci
Stratus Grau
Pearl Cremebeige Leather

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-30-2005, 11:42 PM
EuroRocket EuroRocket is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 61
Send a message via MSN to EuroRocket
Mein Auto: BMW soon to be! volvo/toy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise
I think it would be too close to call on a 1/4 mile track. And RD usually make engines with alot more torque than BMW. I'd like to see the final numbers, if I can find them. And I wouldn't be surprised if the RD6 beats it, and not barely, but significantly. The RD6 certainly has a higher top speed. These Italians seem just as skilled as BMW in making engines.

Now Racing Dynamics also makes a 6er with an RD50 motor. RD50 is a 5.0L V8 engine with 480HP, and more torque than the BMW V10. (Forgot the figures). This might actually be faster to 100km/h than the M6 due to a smaller, lighter motor?

Racing Dynamics also has an RD50S motor, which they haven't placed in a 6er body, yet. This motor is 5.0L V8 engine, 515HP, and 440ft-lb torque. It has about 60 ft-lbs more torque and 15 more HP than the BMW V10, and furthermore max HP and torque is reached at much lower RPMs than the BMW V10, and it's a V8! I'm sure this could beat an M6.

What I want to know, is how does Racing Dynamics do it? For the same displacement, and number of cylinders, they are able to squeeze out *alot* more torque and hp than a BMW engine and at lower rpms. All of this is normal aspiration. What is the deal?

I look at the price of these engines... which alone cost as much as an entire BMW 3er and sometimes more than my BMW 6er. I'm wondering what they are putting in those engines.

many things, chips, change injectors pulses, etc.. btw thanks for the info
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-31-2005, 10:05 AM
gbelton's Avatar
gbelton gbelton is offline
///M for Motor Sports!
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,944
Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Wink Very Nice Find...

Hello My Friends:

This is a very nice find. I will tell you this, it is one thing to build a rocket like the RD V12 and drive it on the race track once...twice...May even thrice times (three times for the English majors) but lets talk durability. Now you have my attention!

I take nothing away from the power but unless you are racing for pink slips my friend, you will never get to taste that sort of power on the streets with any amount of safety in mind.

Live long and prosper!

Thanks for the info too.

-GMAN
__________________
The Tail of The DRAGON, YES!!

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-02-2005, 04:25 PM
SmoothCruise SmoothCruise is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,769
Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroRocket
many things, chips, change injectors pulses, etc.. btw thanks for the info

No problem... make sure to check the rest of that site. I love the engine cover on that Rolls Royce. It was hard gathering all that info. It's not like their site reveals much. I had to fish around for articles on the net of the various tuned cars they have done in the past to know what kind of engines they built and their performance numbers. I'm still not sure how many kinds of engines they offer. I still don't know if they actually build any! One reason for this, is because they do offer stroker kits for much older bmw models, and it does appear they tune existing engines.

My guess is that they do build their own too. One of the articles I read is how their engine block is based off BMW F1 designs, and racing engines, and I guess they make variations on it, and squeeze out more performance. Whatever it is, I'd love to work for these guys.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-02-2005, 04:46 PM
SmoothCruise SmoothCruise is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,769
Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton
Hello My Friends:

This is a very nice find. I will tell you this, it is one thing to build a rocket like the RD V12 and drive it on the race track once...twice...May even thrice times (three times for the English majors) but lets talk durability. Now you have my attention!

I take nothing away from the power but unless you are racing for pink slips my friend, you will never get to taste that sort of power on the streets with any amount of safety in mind.

Live long and prosper!

Thanks for the info too.

-GMAN

Well, I guess what I am trying to illustrate (not to single you out at all, GMAN, or flame anybody) :

lots of BMW 'purists' frown on tuned cars as 2nd class Mxer's... that they don't peform as well. Then when you show them tuned cars that could match an M6, and even beat it by a good margin, they put up their hands and say, well you can't realize that performance anyways. But, I thought the argument was just about performance alone?


I mean, really, when you think about it, you're not gonna realize all the performance out of a 6, or an M6 that often either.


I think BMW purists are rich snobs. If you want to tune up your car, go for it, and so what if it's still a 2nd rate Mer, that's really not the point of it. It's just cool to do, especially if you can do it with your own hands.


Anyways, I believe the next issue of Eurotuner they will run a multi-part article on how to make a 3er as good as an M3er for less money than it would be to purchase an M3er.


So go out and get that charger Aricu!! hehe...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms