Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-12-2005, 11:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to Jester4176
Mein Auto: 92 325i Sedan
Sunroof r/r procedures?

Hello all...I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Lot of good info and knowledgable people here, so hopefully someone can help me. I have a 92 325i sedan. Recently I removed the headliner panel to replace the liner material. After I removed the panel, the liner on the sunroof panel began to fall off.

I can see that the sunroof pan can be removed by pulling the 4 drain hoses and a dozen or so screws that hold it in place. Does the pan with the sunroof drop straight down, or it it connected to the underside of the car's roof somehow? I am very mechanically inclined, so this is in my scope to do...just want to get info before I dive in.

I have also read that on Volvo's(Haven't found any info like this on BMW's), when you replace the sunroof liner material, you have to use 1/8" material because normal 1/4" material is too thick and the sunroof won't function ploperly. Anyone that can confirm this on BMW's? If it is the same, anyone know where I can get 1/8" material? Haven't found any locally or on the web.

As far as removing the interior panel from the sunroof, there's not much info in the Bentley manual on this. Any web-links anyone knows of would be greatly appreciated...if if anyone around Houston had experience, shoot me an e-mail please. Thannks in advance for any info that you all can provide.
Ads by Google
Old 08-03-2005, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i
Thumbs down Headliner fabric material

I've had a similar problem with adhesive becoming unglued and fabic sagging from the sunroof. I went to a Auto trim shop and had the entire headliner replaced. They used too thick of material and yes it did cause more problems. One w/n a month when I opened the sunroof, the fabric would catch and bunch up while going back. Soon the fabric was coming down again. 2nd problem occured with the small rectangular piece that houses the button to move the roof back. The fabric was too thick or too heavy to allow good adhesion and the piece would fall out onto your head with the wires dangling for the control unit.

I'm still looking for a supplier for the thinner fabric. If you know of one please let me know.