Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-04-2005, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: E36BMW318i1994
Unhappy in mouring - 1minute you have a dream BMW, next min its all over

I just recently joined this mailing list, proudly telling you guys of my 1994 E36 BMW 318i.

But this morning my dream came to a horrid 'BuRsT'.

On my way in to work, driving slower than usual (for some unbeknown reason), as i was coming around a corner@+-25mph, i lost control of the car (once again, for some unbeknown reason), and she spun a good few times, mounted the curb, hit a 'light' pole, and landed halfway in the road again, with the front bumper wrapped around the light.

I am fine, maybe a little whiplash, and a big shock. The car's front is smashed in, but from the front doors back the car is perfect. \Unfortunately, due to its age, and higher than average mileage, it'll probably end up a write-off, because the passenger front wheel is way off, and chassis is badly bent, as well as bonnet, bumper, lights 'n indicators, radiator, and both wings &side skirts in bits.

I know for a fact that i was not travelling any faster than 25mph, or if i was going that fast, even. We have had lovely dry weather the last couple weeks, but yesterday and tuesday it was raining pretty hard, so maybe i just hit a slippy section of road. One of the guys who came to help, said that his truck went slip-sliding at the same spot on tuesday.

So i feel a little heart-broken at the loss of my baby, coz i cant afford to fix her. and the insurance guys will more than likely deem in a writeoff, infact they definately will. i bought it for 3500, it'll cost at least 3000 to fix.

So, perhaps take this as a lesson lads & ladies, be careful, coz even at slow speeds accidents can happen. And even if it not you that gets hurt, it'll be your pocket for sure, and if you love that car, your heart to.

Thank you for having this forum available.

Kind regards,
Robyn
Ads by Google
Old 08-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you hit a patch of oil/radiator fluid. Any of those liquids on rain soaked surfaces make the car respond as if on ice.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:39 AM

yeah, it was like being on a roller coaster or something. feeling everything around you swing around. and then its all over in a split second
Old 08-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
How old were the tires?

Photobucket
Old 08-04-2005, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: On order: 2006 530i
Glad you are OK...sounds like oil and water mix, after a long dry spell its lethathally slippery. Lastly, look at it as an opportunity to upgrade!
Old 08-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
My condolences. Now its time for a newer Bimmer!!
Old 08-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Prospective BMW Buyer

Mein Auto: Lexus GS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94E36bmw318Ire
I just recently joined this mailing list, proudly telling you guys of my 1994 E36 BMW 318i.

But this morning my dream came to a horrid 'BuRsT'.

On my way in to work, driving slower than usual (for some unbeknown reason), as i was coming around a corner@+-25mph, i lost control of the car (once again, for some unbeknown reason), and she spun a good few times, mounted the curb, hit a 'light' pole, and landed halfway in the road again, with the front bumper wrapped around the light.

I am fine, maybe a little whiplash, and a big shock. The car's front is smashed in, but from the front doors back the car is perfect. \Unfortunately, due to its age, and higher than average mileage, it'll probably end up a write-off, because the passenger front wheel is way off, and chassis is badly bent, as well as bonnet, bumper, lights 'n indicators, radiator, and both wings &side skirts in bits.

I know for a fact that i was not travelling any faster than 25mph, or if i was going that fast, even. We have had lovely dry weather the last couple weeks, but yesterday and tuesday it was raining pretty hard, so maybe i just hit a slippy section of road. One of the guys who came to help, said that his truck went slip-sliding at the same spot on tuesday.

So i feel a little heart-broken at the loss of my baby, coz i cant afford to fix her. and the insurance guys will more than likely deem in a writeoff, infact they definately will. i bought it for 3500, it'll cost at least 3000 to fix.

So, perhaps take this as a lesson lads & ladies, be careful, coz even at slow speeds accidents can happen. And even if it not you that gets hurt, it'll be your pocket for sure, and if you love that car, your heart to.

Thank you for having this forum available.

Kind regards,
Robyn
from the sounds of it, that 3500 dollar car just saved your life . Good thing that you're ailve and well to get another one to replace it.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:03 AM

Arrow Thank you for you responses:)

thank you for your responses, its re-assuring for some reason.

The tyres weren't quite brand new, but near enough. There was loads of tread on them. I'd say they were only put on earlier this year.(i bought the car in MAY of this year)

It E3500 (Euro), i live in ireland. Yes for sure, that car saved me from any worse injuries i could have suffered in another car.

Its 24hrs after the accident, and, THANK GOD, all i have is a stiff neck.

I'd love nothing more(other than fixing her and carrying on) than to move on to a newer Beemer. Unfortunately that'll have to wait a couple years till i can really afford to. I think i was kidding myself that i could properly maintain her in my current job position. Hopefully after the insurance mess clears up, i'll be able to pay up the car loan, with what ever they give me for it.

oh yeah, people have told me that once the mess is sorted, you can buy the crashed car off the who-ever, and then restore her or do what ever you want with her. Anyone heard of that? Any opinions on that?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e36 323i coupe
That true where I live. But it will only be worth while if you have the skills to do most of the work yourself. It sounds like the chassic and much of the bodywork will need straightening, so I don't think it's a good move to buy it back. As you will spend a lot of time, effort and money to make it all good again. Might as well buy another one.

I can understand it's your baby and you are probably emotionally attached to it. Anyway, I am sorry for your lost. Bottom line, you are still here talking to us. That's the most important thing.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:02 AM

Talking True

Yeah, thats true. Perhaps when i get another Baby-Beema someday, i'll come nag 'n brag about her to ye!