Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-10-2005, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330ci
Question Can Anyone Help Out A E46 Newbie?

Hi All,

I purchased my first bimmer, a '02 330ci. Needless to say, I'm thrilled with the car. I'm trying my best not to drive it, as I have a beater that takes me to and from work, but its so hard to fight the urge to bring out the coupe. What I'm waiting for right now before putting some serious miles on it is the MityVac so that I can change oil before rolling out. It's been ordered, but not due to arrive until late next week. After doing some serious research on this site, I vowed never to take it into a jiffylube type business but I'm not wiling to shell out the $150 the dealer asks for, either.

Would any bimmerfest members in the San Jose area be willing to help me out by showing me how to change my oil with a MityVac? I have the oil and filter, and would be willing to provide cash to anyone who can lend a hand.

If not, could someone recommend a business in San Jose that knows what they're doing and will not molest my new ride nor rip me off?
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
I am a complete mechanical moron (other board members can attest to this). And, I was even more so when I first got my e46 and bought my first mity-vac type of oil extractor (from griots). The most mechanical thing I'd done prior to that was hammering some nails and using a screw driver. But, amazingly, I was able to use my oil extractor sucessfully the first time I used it-- its really that simple. Let the car run for about 5 mins to heat up the oil a little, stick the tube down the dipstick hole pump about 15-20 times. Stand back and watch the oil drain. While its draining... If you're planning to change the oil filter too-- just buy a neew filter from your dealer. Buy a ratchet and 6 point 36mm socket (this was somewhat hard to find for me-- althouhg i did eventually find one at sears). Unsrew it w/ the ratchet (black cap w/ a big plastic hexagonal shaped nut molded into it). Buy some latex gloves so don't get oil all over your hands. pull off the rubber gasket that will be seated near the top of the cap and replace it w/ the new one from the filter kit. pop off the old filter and push on the new one. Screw it back into the car. When the old oil is fully drained, press the button on top of the extractor to release the pressure. Pull out the tube, and put it on some newspapers or a plastic bag so you don't get oil all over your garage or driveway. Put the dipstick back in. Get a funnel, unscrew the square oil cap on the engine, and slowly add about 6.5 quarts of BMW 5w30 oil (get it frm your dealer along w/ the filter). Screw the oil cap back on. Double chekc that you've screwed the oil cap on and that you've put hte dipstick back in. You're done. Start the engine, and makre sure the oil pressure light doesn't stay on for more than a few seconds if at all. if so, shut it off! If not, let it run for a few minutes. Shut it off and chekc the oil (remove the dipstick, wipe it off, re-insert it, take it out and make sure the oil level is at the right point based on the picture in the owners manaul). If its low, add the extra .5 quart (but you likely will not have to do this). I know this sounds overwhelming right now, but trust me, its not that hard. Changing brakes on the hand, is a different story (don't get me started on that one...).

All that being said, I hope you can find someone to give you moral support for your first oil change. I would if I lived in CA!

Last edited by bmw325; 08-10-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:06 PM

slowly add about 6.5 quarts of BMW 5w30 oil (get it frm your dealer along w/ the filter).

Hmmm.....after reading some posts I had thought that the Mobil 1 synthetic oil was the best to buy for bimmers. Is there a difference between the Mobil 1 oil and the oil provided by the dealership? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question....I just want whats best for the car as I plan on keeping it for a while. Also, thanks a lot for your comments and advice, I really appreciate it
Old 08-10-2005, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 - 330i - ZHP
Hey there, hoppa79,

Welcome and congrats on your new ride!

Changing the oil on the E46 is one of the easiest DIY maintenance items that you can do. Since you bought the Mity-Vac, you don't need to jack up your car! The oil filter and dipstick are in plain site in the engine bay. Great design, IMO.

Robg's description pretty summarizes the entire process. If you do decide on doing it yourself, then a few of the tricks are to 1) find that 36mm six-sided socket (it's one of those hard-to-find items), 2) determining which oil to use (there are folks here at Bimmerfest who have used Mobil Synthetic Oil, which you can buy at Costco, and there are folks here who have used Castrol Synthetic Oil, which can be bought at Kragen, Auto Zone, etc), and 3) when you want to do the oil change (BMW recommends every 15K, however there are some folks who do it every 5K or 7.5K).

Definitely do a search here in the forum and you'll get tons of information on the oil change/Mity-Vac topic. You might get overwhelmed. But, it's very useful.

Finally, click the link below. It's another website that provides visual aides and written, step-by-step instructions on doing the oil change.

http://www.my330i.com/lof.php

And, oh, I live near San Francisco. If no other SF Bay Area 'fest members can't swing by, then give me a PM. I am in SJ from time to time.

Flex
Old 08-10-2005, 11:08 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppa79
slowly add about 6.5 quarts of BMW 5w30 oil (get it frm your dealer along w/ the filter).
6.5 Liters.... which is just under 7 quarts.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 08-11-2005, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppa79

Hmmm.....after reading some posts I had thought that the Mobil 1 synthetic oil was the best to buy for bimmers. Is there a difference between the Mobil 1 oil and the oil provided by the dealership? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question....I just want whats best for the car as I plan on keeping it for a while. Also, thanks a lot for your comments and advice, I really appreciate it
Yeah-- you can get a real headache sifting through the thousands of posts on this oil vs that oil. I also plan to keep my car for a while and, for what its worht, have decided to stick w/ the BMW oil because it meets some additional standards (can't remember the ones) that Mobil1 does not. I've read most of the oil posts (over time) and this is the conclusion I've come too As a bonus, its generally cheaper too. I've also sent my oil to Blackstone labs on several occasions to be analyzed (see what hanging around here can do to you!), and its always come back with flying colors.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:55 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Yep, BMW oil is slightly cheaper. The cost has gone up about $1 a quart from what it used to be, but it's still under $5 in my area and cheaper than the alternatives. I purchased 7 quarts plus the filter for about $47 with tax, after the BMW CCA discount of 10%. Not too bad considering.

Even without the Mity-Vac an oil change is easy with ramps. I did mine a couple weeks ago for the first time and the Rhino ramps worked out perfectly.

At about 2000 miles my factory oil was kinda dirty and definitely had metal in it. I ran my magnetic tool grabber thru the drained oil and picked up quite a bit of residue. I think changing more often is a really good idea considering the relatively low cost and minimal amount of time it takes.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 08-11-2005, 09:56 AM

I've decided to attempty the oil change myself using the standard oil provided by the dealership.

Flex, thanks a lot for pointing me to the site that provides pics along with instructions. Without the pics, I wouldn't even know what cap to unscrew (how embarassing is that).

Until my MityVac arrives, I'll be taking it easy on the car and will spend the weekend washing and waxing w/ zaino (another thing I learned about through this site).

Thanks all for your advice and support.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Actually an intern

Mein Auto: 325 Cic (E46)
Welcome and enjoy your car.

I am also changing my oil myself every 3000 miles, also going with the dealership BMW oil, I am not using a mityvac though.

Here's some advice....if you haven't picked that up already: Get a California Duster. It will return you its $ worth in a days! Last time I washed and waxed the car was a month ago, I might wash it again this weekend because of bug splaters, other than that a car-wash may last at least a 60 days, if you dust it regularly. It takes 30 seconds to go around the car with the duster and it saves you so much money and time!

Since you're in San Jose, for your scheduled services, Stevens Creek BMW usually has a long waiting list. One time they scheduled me for 12 days later. The second time they told me 16 days and I left. I went to Allison BMW and made an appointment for the next morning. Be also aware that Dinan in Mountain view can do most of the maintenance stuff you may not (like brakes, rotors etc) with less money than the dealership. And they know what they're doing!

I have a relative, yet not extended, familiarity with my E46 after doing "do-it-yourself" mini-mods like switching to clear lenses all around.
I am in San Jose, North 1st street, let me know if you ever need help with something, other than changing oil (you don't need help with this!)

Take care