Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:59 AM
esco02 esco02 is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW
Questions on 645/650- sound system

Hey all,

I am about to purchase a 645ci, but wanted to get your recomendations first-

For the sound system, is it worth the money for the upgraded sound system? How big of a difference does it make?

Also, on the convertible 645cic, how loud is the interior noise, very different than standard 645ci coupe?

And finally, is it truly worth waiting for the 650ci, and when will they start hitting dealerships, October?

Thanks in advacne!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-02-2005, 01:21 PM
beewang's Avatar
beewang beewang is offline
Bo-ma-win!
Location: Eugene, OREGON, Home to the Rose Bowl Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 7,690
Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
The Harman Kardon Logic-7 system is one of the BEST OEM system you can buy. Furthermore, the price that BMW is charging, you can't get anything remotely as good for 2X the price. In short, GET IT!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-2005, 01:50 PM
AriciU's Avatar
AriciU AriciU is offline
M Enthusiast
Location: Somewhere
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 268
Mein Auto: 645Ci
Logic7 is worth every penny. You'll not regret it (unless you have like a 3-6k$ system already installed on your current car maybe).
__________________
BMW 645Ci
Stratus Grau
Pearl Cremebeige Leather

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-02-2005, 04:55 PM
cobradav cobradav is offline
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,421
Mein Auto:
Great system, a must have. cannot comment on difference in sound levels as I never had a drive in Cabrio. Ur this close to a 650, may as well wait and get the best u can but for the M6 BEAST.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-02-2005, 08:30 PM
SmoothCruise SmoothCruise is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,769
Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by esco02
Hey all,

I am about to purchase a 645ci, but wanted to get your recomendations first-

For the sound system, is it worth the money for the upgraded sound system? How big of a difference does it make?

Also, on the convertible 645cic, how loud is the interior noise, very different than standard 645ci coupe?

And finally, is it truly worth waiting for the 650ci, and when will they start hitting dealerships, October?

Thanks in advacne!
I got the sound package, and I have nothing to compare it to, since it's my first car, but the sound is great. I love classical music, and it's great for that. The bass is very good too, almost too good, sometimes just way too powerful (but then again, I love classical music.)

I have a convertible. The interior is quiet. It's not until you get above 80MPH that you can hear things. However, I've test driven non-convertible cars over 80MPH, and the BMW convertible sounds just as noisy. In other words, don't worry about it. The sound insulation is fantastic.


By the way, if you are considering getting a convertible, remember

bad:
1. heavier
2. $2k more expensive
3. slower, noticeably slower
4. interior noisier (not much, and not really a factor)
5. more maintenance issues (already had to get a part replaced for roof, not bad, took about 2 hour stop by at dealership.)
6. more of a pain to clean/detail. (you'll want to keep water repellancy of the outer cloth up. Note: if there is none, the roof still works just as well.) You'll also want to get Porche's product for keeping repellency up, and UV protected. BMW's product blowz.


good:
1. I think they look better than the normal coupe. My opinion ofcourse. The trick is to find a color combination that works. As long as you stay away from same color for body and top, the cabrio looks better.
2. The rear window is powered to go up and down. (A laughable plus for cabrio.)
3. If you don't actually go to a race track and push your car to the limits, the cabrio is alot more fun to drive.
4. I can't stress point 3 enough. If your personality is more laid back, and you just like cruising around and enjoying the day, the cabrio is 1000 times more fun. The cab drivers can just enjoy the performance of the car. You can enjoy that, and the weather, the view, the fireworks, pretty country side drives, gorgeous cityscape views at night, parking your car in front of a lake, and kicking back and watching. Or, driving in back country on narrow roads with trees forming tunnels, at midnight, with the roads winding, and the sound of the wind, and the engines, and making a quick turn, slamming on the brake, because a baby deer has stumbled onto the middle of the road... it's so much more immediate in a convertible, as if you were on safari. Man, it's f-ing awesome.

Dude... I can't stress this enough.

5. It's like having 2 cars in one.

6. You want more pickup? More torque, hp? Why? Who cares man... girls don't give a damn, if you have a 6 or not, and they wouldn't know what HP means. They do care that you have a convertible. Chicks dig convertibles, even if it's a beat up vokswagen.


It's not like I don't want to steer you from getting a BMW, but try a Saab convertible, beetle convertible, TT convertible, or any other cheaper model convertible. You might just enjoy driving in a convertible and not caring for the model. If that's the case, great, save yourself a great deal of money, and get something cheaper. What I mean, is sometimes driving with the top down is so much fun, I almost think it wouldn't have matter had I gotten a 6 or not.

(In some sense it doesn't, get a car that performs well enough, looks like sh*t, but has an awesome interior. It's not like you can enjoy how it looks from the outside anyways... unless you're vain.)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-03-2005, 02:28 AM
cobradav cobradav is offline
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,421
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise
I got the sound package, and I have nothing to compare it to, since it's my first car, but the sound is great. I love classical music, and it's great for that. The bass is very good too, almost too good, sometimes just way too powerful (but then again, I love classical music.)

I have a convertible. The interior is quiet. It's not until you get above 80MPH that you can hear things. However, I've test driven non-convertible cars over 80MPH, and the BMW convertible sounds just as noisy. In other words, don't worry about it. The sound insulation is fantastic.


By the way, if you are considering getting a convertible, remember

bad:
1. heavier
2. $2k more expensive
3. slower, noticeably slower
4. interior noisier (not much, and not really a factor)
5. more maintenance issues (already had to get a part replaced for roof, not bad, took about 2 hour stop by at dealership.)
6. more of a pain to clean/detail. (you'll want to keep water repellancy of the outer cloth up. Note: if there is none, the roof still works just as well.) You'll also want to get Porche's product for keeping repellency up, and UV protected. BMW's product blowz.


good:
1. I think they look better than the normal coupe. My opinion ofcourse. The trick is to find a color combination that works. As long as you stay away from same color for body and top, the cabrio looks better.
2. The rear window is powered to go up and down. (A laughable plus for cabrio.)
3. If you don't actually go to a race track and push your car to the limits, the cabrio is alot more fun to drive.
4. I can't stress point 3 enough. If your personality is more laid back, and you just like cruising around and enjoying the day, the cabrio is 1000 times more fun. The cab drivers can just enjoy the performance of the car. You can enjoy that, and the weather, the view, the fireworks, pretty country side drives, gorgeous cityscape views at night, parking your car in front of a lake, and kicking back and watching. Or, driving in back country on narrow roads with trees forming tunnels, at midnight, with the roads winding, and the sound of the wind, and the engines, and making a quick turn, slamming on the brake, because a baby deer has stumbled onto the middle of the road... it's so much more immediate in a convertible, as if you were on safari. Man, it's f-ing awesome.

Dude... I can't stress this enough.

5. It's like having 2 cars in one.

6. You want more pickup? More torque, hp? Why? Who cares man... girls don't give a damn, if you have a 6 or not, and they wouldn't know what HP means. They do care that you have a convertible. Chicks dig convertibles, even if it's a beat up vokswagen.


It's not like I don't want to steer you from getting a BMW, but try a Saab convertible, beetle convertible, TT convertible, or any other cheaper model convertible. You might just enjoy driving in a convertible and not caring for the model. If that's the case, great, save yourself a great deal of money, and get something cheaper. What I mean, is sometimes driving with the top down is so much fun, I almost think it wouldn't have matter had I gotten a 6 or not.

(In some sense it doesn't, get a car that performs well enough, looks like sh*t, but has an awesome interior. It's not like you can enjoy how it looks from the outside anyways... unless you're vain.)
All good points there plus esco02 is in CA so may have more opportunities for top down crusin'. I was not allowed to get another cabrio due to the wife having the Audi A4 Cabrio. Shoot, we put top down for crusin the fall leaves in VA, PA, WV, VT, NH. Top up in summer here in FL, unless sun is down.
If u must have power and top down capabilities ya can go for the M6 Cabrio, just a couple years away
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-03-2005, 09:15 PM
SmoothCruise SmoothCruise is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,769
Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradav
All good points there plus esco02 is in CA so may have more opportunities for top down crusin'. I was not allowed to get another cabrio due to the wife having the Audi A4 Cabrio. Shoot, we put top down for crusin the fall leaves in VA, PA, WV, VT, NH. Top up in summer here in FL, unless sun is down.
If u must have power and top down capabilities ya can go for the M6 Cabrio, just a couple years away

California? Yes, absolutely, go with the cabrio!!

If he needs more power, a cheaper option would be just to get a super charger. I don't like the numbers on the M6. You have to rev the darn thing up very high to get max torque and max hp.

One more point, if esco02 goes with the convertible, he should also get the Nav system. I say it is a must. The reason for this, cabrio drivers are *a lot more* likely to take a back road for the hell of it, and you can get lost, trying to find a new route to 'tour'. So it's good to get that Nav. That way you can be even more capricious as to what route to take, and you don't have to worry about how you'll get back, and you can enjoy the cabrio experience a lot more.

Last edited by SmoothCruise; 08-03-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-04-2005, 06:28 PM
cobradav cobradav is offline
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,421
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise
California? Yes, absolutely, go with the cabrio!!

If he needs more power, a cheaper option would be just to get a super charger. I don't like the numbers on the M6. You have to rev the darn thing up very high to get max torque and max hp.

One more point, if esco02 goes with the convertible, he should also get the Nav system. I say it is a must. The reason for this, cabrio drivers are *a lot more* likely to take a back road for the hell of it, and you can get lost, trying to find a new route to 'tour'. So it's good to get that Nav. That way you can be even more capricious as to what route to take, and you don't have to worry about how you'll get back, and you can enjoy the cabrio experience a lot more.
Hmm, first I knew u could get a 6er w/o Nav in the US. Never been an option as far as ino. Always been standard fare. Only cost options - Active CC, Sport Pkg (or active steering w/o sport), Premium Audio (L7), Cold Wx Pkg (or heated seats only), Sat Radio, and HUD.

The M is a package deal that no bolt on HP increase will replicate. Personally the V8 is more than enough for most and if not enough then M is the way to go. I haven't got time to be "playing" with mods.

Last edited by cobradav; 08-04-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-04-2005, 06:59 PM
gbelton's Avatar
gbelton gbelton is offline
///M for Motor Sports!
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,944
Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Wink LOGIC 7 --> All The Way

Hello My Friends:

I concur with everyone's assessment on Logic7. You will regret not adding it into a luxury car like the 6er.

If you enjoy music and who doesn't, you can't ask for anything better unless you get Funk-Master-Flex and Team Bartwell to give you the Ghetto system.

Oh, get the 650 because that 363HP is snappier than the current 330HP.
Other reasons you may consider is the Convienance feature (If they give it to the US)
The rims have been changed too, that might be nice.
I believe the CD player will be enabled for MP3 play.

Good luck with your decision.

-GMAN
__________________
The Tail of The DRAGON, YES!!

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-04-2005, 07:38 PM
esco02 esco02 is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW
Re

Thanks to everyone for the help. I really want to get it ASAP, but would rather wait for the 650 if it doesnt take too long to come in- when will theys tart hitting the dealers???
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-04-2005, 07:43 PM
gbelton's Avatar
gbelton gbelton is offline
///M for Motor Sports!
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,944
Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Thumbs up October...

Hello My Friend:

Count on the first batch in October... Get your oder in now for delivery.


-GMAN
__________________
The Tail of The DRAGON, YES!!

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-05-2005, 12:13 PM
SmoothCruise SmoothCruise is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,769
Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradav

The M is a package deal that no bolt on HP increase will replicate.
Well, in spirit of my original text, if he wants to add just a bit more pickup, then going with a charger is a very good option, much better than going the M route, in terms of HP boost per dollar.


Now regarding your quote. Sure it can't replicate the M6 in HP, because in some cases it will beat it, and performance wise -which really counts here-, it can beat it., provided you go to the right tuner. Check out some literature on what Alpina did to the 5, and will soon do to the 6. As an added bonus, they can do it cheaper than trading up to an M6!

I'm disappointed with the new M6's coming out, from the literature I've read. Wiith a V10, and much less than 400 ft-lb torque with max torque reached at a very high 5000rpms, the M6 is pathetic, to say the least. I'd much rather have a tuned car -my preference, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-05-2005, 06:17 PM
cobradav cobradav is offline
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,421
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise
Well, in spirit of my original text, if he wants to add just a bit more pickup, then going with a charger is a very good option, much better than going the M route, in terms of HP boost per dollar.


Now regarding your quote. Sure it can't replicate the M6 in HP, because in some cases it will beat it, and performance wise -which really counts here-, it can beat it., provided you go to the right tuner. Check out some literature on what Alpina did to the 5, and will soon do to the 6. As an added bonus, they can do it cheaper than trading up to an M6!

I'm disappointed with the new M6's coming out, from the literature I've read. Wiith a V10, and much less than 400 ft-lb torque with max torque reached at a very high 5000rpms, the M6 is pathetic, to say the least. I'd much rather have a tuned car -my preference, of course.
I should have emphasized the word "Package". It is not just the V10 and high revs, it;s the 7sp SMG, the lighter -lower center of gravity, the tuned suspension, etc. I am not going to leave that to a aftermarket tuner. Sure, if all I wanted was more HP then yea, bolt on the SC. Although it works for some, its just not for me. But I do not begrudge those that want to do that. Be a boring place if everybody did things the same way. My concern is not HP/$$. Shoot if that were the case why am I in a 6er now.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-12-2005, 06:11 PM
MarkCarson MarkCarson is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Premium Sound is worth it

The Premium Sound package is worth it. I have it in my ED 2005 645Ci and also in my 2002 745i. Actully the 745 sounds noticeably better, but hey, its got those 10 inch woofers under the front seats! The ambio effect in the 745 (with the ProLogic set to max) is more pronounced than either of the 2 ProLogic settings in the 645. Still worth it though. Besides you need the extra 6 CDs.

I hope the 650 will be able to play MP3s, but I've heard that the 3 series can already do that but only if they do NOT have the Nav system (which all U.S. 6 series do have), so who knows...

I also miss the convenience (not comfort) package which my 745 has (soft close/latch doors and push button trunck closure). Otherwise, the 645 is almost as comfortable and gizmo'ed a ride as the 7.

If I can get Individual options on a 650, I might have to trade my 645 up to a 650 when it gets off the boat in 6 weeks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Option code list Terry Kennedy General BMW 16 05-14-2006 03:59 PM
TX: 330Ci w/ Competition Class Sound System mcr2582 Cars - Private Party 2 05-20-2005 09:56 AM
Sound System shaun132 X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) 10 04-30-2005 10:52 PM
750il:Headlight washers and Sound system kchilaka 7 Series / 8 Series 4 12-28-2004 09:09 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms