Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-07-2005, 02:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i ZSP Silver
So is it better to turn off the AC before shutting down the engine?

Or is it a myth? Many people (expecially older ones ) seem to believe that doing so will improve the longevity of the AC system and the overall health of the car. I wonder what the logic is behind this and if it applies to our bimmers.
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2005, 03:15 AM
Adolescent On-Call

Mein Auto: 330i
Interesting question...
Old 08-07-2005, 03:30 AM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by startover
Many people (expecially older ones ) seem to believe that doing so will improve the longevity of the AC system and the overall health of the car.
It's not the longevity of the AC so much as discouraging mildew growth which leads to that musty odor you get when you turn off the AC. The idea is to shut off the AC and let the fan dry out moisture that has collected from condensation. Personally, it's not a problem (yet ) with my car, and I usually don't turn off the AC a few minutes before parking, but sometimes I do. I kinda suspect you are more vulnerable if you left the AC on in humid conditions (either during the day or coming home at night), but not sure why some people have bad luck and others don't. Also, it's a problem that's common across different car makes.

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio
Old 08-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenPhen
It's not the longevity of the AC so much as discouraging mildew growth which leads to that musty odor you get when you turn off the AC. The idea is to shut off the AC and let the fan dry out moisture that has collected from condensation. Personally, it's not a problem (yet ) with my car, and I usually don't turn off the AC a few minutes before parking, but sometimes I do. I kinda suspect you are more vulnerable if you left the AC on in humid conditions (either during the day or coming home at night), but not sure why some people have bad luck and others don't. Also, it's a problem that's common across different car makes.
This is logical, but not practical, as you would have to sit with the fan running until the temperature of all the ductwork in the AC`s system reached ambient temp in order to prevent any condensation.... I don`t have that much time to spare.... :-)

Regards,
Bob
Old 08-08-2005, 07:36 PM
B zzzz ZZZZZZZ zzzz

Mein Auto: X3 F25 N55
I always turn it off a couple of block or so before home or work... dry off the coil and prevent mildew or other smells.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 325CI
So now after reading this thread, I am curious about that smell that comes out without the A/C on. What is this smell and how can I remove it? It smells like...a rotten damp cloth or something. It's not too bad, but it can get annoying sometimes especially when I have people in my car.