Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330Cic
Stereo in / out on FM (warn: long post)

I took my car to a BMW Center to get a couple of items looked at. One was the stereo in / out while driving. They swapped the radio but now I donít get a stereo (ST) indication on any station at any time. I used the scan to go through all the stations, even ones I donít listen to, to find a strong signal but still no stereo. I donít really listen to the radio much unless itís talk so it doesnít really matter much. It's just annoying.

I donít even feel like talking to them about cause they were not too pleasant to deal with. I went there since itís the closest to my house but I think I go somewhere else next time. I am lucky and have at least 4 within a 30 minute drive to choose from.

I went in with the BMW Service Measure printed out for this and the DISA valve software update since my car has died twice in neutral.

Service Measure
Engine Electrical B12 209 05 04/06/2005

The advisor wouldnít even be bothered with looking at them he actually said ďwe know more about it than youĒ and ďyou can find a million things on the internet and people think everything is wrong with their car.Ē

Iím sure they know more about the car than me thatís what they get paid for but how rude to say Iím an automotive hypochondriac. They did nothing for the stalling problem. The advisor said I had the latest software and when I asked what version he said he doesnít know but itís the latest. Well, tell me the number dude! I donít understand why they want to give the impression that they have to rush and get to the next problem and they donít have time to talk to you.

Anyway, anyone get the radio replaced? Do you get a ST indication now? Before I could hear the difference when it went in and out of stereo. Now it just sounds mono. Suppose I may take it down next week if I feel itís worth the hassle. Sorry for long postÖÖÖ.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 Convertible
Sounds like the stealer didn't put your new radio into "USA" mode. You can fiix this yourself by entering the service menu and resetting the location. There should be some instructions for doing this on the message boards. Search and I'm sure you will find it.

BTW, my stealer did the same thing.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:23 PM

Thanks dr330cic great info
Old 08-13-2005, 05:56 AM

I searched for how to put radio in "USA mode" but I can't find the info. Anybody help a brother out?

Thanks, I'm trying to avoid going down to the dealer......
Old 08-13-2005, 02:54 PM

To access the service menu in the BMW Business CD:
- turn the radio off, then on again
- press and hold M for 10 seconds
- display will show SN#nnnnnnnn
- press +/- to access settings
- press 1-6 to change settings

Settings I know of are:
SN - serial number
SV - software version
signal strength level
GAL - speed sensitive loudness
DSP - n/a
TP-V - traffic program volume (non-USA feature)
display check
tuner area selection <<<<< THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO CHANGE TO USA
AF - alternative frequency (non-USA feature)

Cycle power to exit service mode.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:36 PM

Thanks, does that work with NAV (2004)?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:42 PM

For nav cars, hold down the "SEL" button instead of the M button on the Business radio.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:50 PM

Thanks very much