Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 09-01-2002, 09:51 PM
sometimes i wish for an x

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
thread 1

yeah

edit: lemme add something racing. do you think the new bmw williams chassis can compete with f2003 ferrari is supposedly making or compete with f2002 chassis?

Last edited by Chris330Ci; 11-16-2003 at 08:26 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-02-2002, 09:22 AM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Re: thread 1

Quote:
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX
yeah

edit: lemme add something racing. do you think the new bmw williams chassis can compete with f2003 ferraris is supposedly making or compete with f2002 chassis?
Congrats Eugene for being the first poster in the new
forum...

Old 09-02-2002, 12:02 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Re: Re: thread 1

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Shafer

Congrats Eugene for being the first poster in the new
forum...

Darn!

Jon, thanks for the new forum.

Now Raffi and Stuka have a new home

Is it possible to move a lot of the track oriented threads from general to here?

Last edited by scottn2retro; 09-02-2002 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:09 PM
Audi, BMW or Porsche???

Mein Auto: 2010 S4, 2004 X3 2.5i
Re: thread 1

Quote:
do you think the new bmw williams chassis can compete with f2003 ferraris is supposedly making or compete with f2002 chassis?
Yes.

With Montoya's string of poles this year, it's obvious to me that the Michelin race tires are what's holding the team back. The Williams chassis will be competitive, the question is whether or not Michelin will catch up to Bridgestone (and not just for qualifying tires).
Old 09-02-2002, 12:11 PM
Code 66

Mein Auto: .
now does this place "count"

hehe
Old 09-02-2002, 12:13 PM
Code 66

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally posted by ///Mathew
now does this place "count"

hehe
yup, sure does

Old 09-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
Looks to me like the F2002 is better than the FW24, but the Bridgestones really put it over the top. They are so highly optimized for the Ferrari that the other Bridgestone teams are just left out. Look at the grid at Spa and the finishing order. As the season has gone on it hasn't leveled out. I thought it might but it hasn't. Of course the grenading Hondas scattering everywhere don't help.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Old 09-02-2002, 07:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to GimpyMcFarlan
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Crimson/Beige
Thumbs down Re: thread 1

Quote:
edit: lemme add something racing. do you think the new bmw williams chassis can compete with f2003 ferraris is supposedly making or compete with f2002 chassis?
Nope. The Ferrari's are in a completely different class right now. I know the Bridgestones are made specifically for them, but I believe it is the entire package. Luckily Mercedes is struggling this year so Williams has been able to stay in second place overall. However, I think Kimi is going to give Montoya a run for his money next year. That boy is blazingly fast. He put theMcClaren in a power slide at Spa like I have never seen before. Usually, the F1 cars either stick or spin in the corner. Slides are extremely rare!
Old 09-03-2002, 07:55 AM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Re: Re: thread 1

Quote:
Originally posted by GimpyMcFarlan

Nope. The Ferrari's are in a completely different class right now. I know the Bridgestones are made specifically for them, but I believe it is the entire package. Luckily Mercedes is struggling this year so Williams has been able to stay in second place overall. However, I think Kimi is going to give Montoya a run for his money next year. That boy is blazingly fast. He put theMcClaren in a power slide at Spa like I have never seen before. Usually, the F1 cars either stick or spin in the corner. Slides are extremely rare!
I think there's a lot of things going on here:

Montoya getting a lot of poles tells me that when fully dialed up, the Williams can run with the Ferrari (at least JPM can- sorry Ralf), but on race day, due to 1) the Bridgestone advantage over Michelin in some weather conditions and 2) Williams putting priority on reliabiltiy and maybe dialing the cars back a slight bit to insure making the whole race (and even with that, JPM has had some blown engines), Williams is relegated to 2nd fiddle on Sundays.

William's priority on reliability is paying off. They had more wins last year, but a lot more DNFs. Their goal at the beginning of the season was to overtake McLaren in the construtor's race and it looks like they will do that. Hopefully what they gain in reliability this year will allow them to run more full tilt next year.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:49 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally posted by EugieBaange
Yeah, I don't know what it is but JPM has just sort of disappeared on race day this year. I have not been impressed.

Kimi. though... my gawd!! I'd worry right about now if I were DC. Kimi drives right on (and sometimes *just* over) the edge just like that Schumi guy. What car control.

Still, if the F2003 will be to the F2002 what the 2002 was to the F2001, you might as well skip next season and just hand it over to Ferrari. Schumi's da man
Improvement like the F2002 over the F2001, in quantum leaps and bounds, do not happen often.

The funny thing is, at the beginning of the season when Ferrari was still running with the F2001 chasis, they were still consistently better than both the McLaren and Williams with the new chasis...The only thing changed was the TIRE from Bridgestone. I do think the Williams package is NOT that far off of Ferrari's pace (see the pole positions), but Michelin hasn't quite advanced as quickly as the Williams and McLaren team had hoped for.

I DO expect the Williams team to compete for the championship next year. Rumor has it the new engine is something of an evolutionary leap. 900+ hp, 19,000 RPM...
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.