Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 07-26-2005, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 m3
emergency brake problems

has anyone evr had an emergency brake problem, my car has been in the shop 8 times in 2 years for the same problem, the problem is the brake does not dis engage after release, it grinds, any advise, ive contacted a lemon law attorney
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1x
has anyone evr had an emergency brake problem, my car has been in the shop 8 times in 2 years for the same problem, the problem is the brake does not dis engage after release, it grinds, any advise, ive contacted a lemon law attorney
anyone with any info????????????
Old 08-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
anyone with any info????????????
Can you feel that the e-brake is catching?

I noticed a grinding sound everytime I got into/out of the car(driver's side rear), and at first, thought it was something like the brake dust cover rubbing the rotor and/or suspension component..But realized it had something to do with the e-brake after hearing it when I was working the e-brake handle up and down....
This occur more so when the car was new, and now I seldomly hear it...I never did anything about it and haven't had any problems at all with it, other than the noise...
I have had the right rear make a grinding noise while driving...but again, it only happened when the car was brand new...never heard it again...I'm guessing it was just a sticky pad, not retracting evenly...

What action did your BMW dealership's servicemen take in correcting the problem..New pads, calipers, e-brake adjustment, bleeding the lines, changing brake fluid, etc...????
Old 09-02-2005, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Chronic E-Brake Problems?

We have owned our 2002 M3 for 10 months and have had to take it in 3 times to have the ebrake fixed. Each time, it has been as if there is no braking power when we lift the brake lever.

Now, after our first road trip, we've taken it in again for a squeaky wheel and loss of emergency braking power. We've been told that we are liable for the replacement of ebrake pads and warped rotors because they believe we were driving with the ebrake on. With the history of chronic ebraking problems, we see it quite differently.

I am very interested to know what have you learned about the lemon law issue? Any recommnedations.

Thanks very much.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:57 AM

i went thru the lemon law. im still waitingto hear back from my lawyer, but i have a case, they tryed to blame me also for the brake problem, i told them there is a beeping noise that would indicate that i was driving with the brake on, they replaced it at no cost, and i still had the problem. what happend with ur situation.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:22 AM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
i went thru the lemon law. im still waitingto hear back from my lawyer, but i have a case, they tryed to blame me also for the brake problem, i told them there is a beeping noise that would indicate that i was driving with the brake on, they replaced it at no cost, and i still had the problem. what happend with ur situation.
The beep / cluster display is triggered by a cheezy mechanical clip on the brake handle assembly. Referring to this picture, it is the gold-colored clip in the top left of the picture.

For a dragging sound, if you release the 2 brake cables (which come through the tubes at the bottom center of the picture) and it still makes the noise, the problem is a dragging shoe in the actual brake drum assembly. If it stops making the noise, it is an adjustment issue where the handbrake isn't releasing them fully when you release the handbrake. For ineffective braking with the handbrake, the 2 cables may need to be tightened at the handbrake assembly (but not so much that the brakes drag with the handbrake released).