Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 09-11-2005, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 convertible
Floor jack placement on M3 and more

I thought I would do the OCD routine on my rims and do a thorough cleaning and waxing with Klasse. I took a quick look under the rear of the car and did not see any obvious lift points for a floor jack. The only thing I saw as a rectangular hollow box like area forward of each rear wheel. Any suggestions?

The other thing I saw was that several areas of the undercarriage seemed to be coated with a yellowish white substance that looked like lithium grease, but applied as if it was an undercoating. Anybody seen this before and know what it is? Or did the dealer run over a grease gun before delivery? The greasy substance is like a grease, not a wax or tar.

I will try to get a better look at it later this week, maybe get the car up on some ramp blocks to see what it is.

Input appreciated.

Rick
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3
the junk you see under there is Cosmoline.
BMW puts it there to protect the cars from Saltwater during shipping.
Itr will eventually burn off - mostly.

as to the jack points
I have attached a pic that might help...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack_jkstandPts2.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	56937  

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 09-11-2005, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR
I thought I would do the OCD routine on my rims and do a thorough cleaning and waxing with Klasse. I took a quick look under the rear of the car and did not see any obvious lift points for a floor jack. The only thing I saw as a rectangular hollow box like area forward of each rear wheel. Any suggestions?

Rick
This picture shows OEM jack points (red circles) and preferred jack points (green boxes). Don't use the rubber jack points (the ones with the x's) in front of the rear wheels to hold up one side of the car...they can collapse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M3JackPoints.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	56938  
Old 09-12-2005, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: M3
thanks patton for that clarification... forgot to do that last night when I posted... too tired, spaced on it totally.

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bebop
thanks patton for that clarification... forgot to do that last night when I posted... too tired, spaced on it totally.
Cool, your post wasn't up when I started...you beat me by 4 minutes, and as tired as I am I'm surprised I didn't post of picture of my cat...I think the picture says it anyway...just like to reiterate since I saw some ugly pictures on another board that happened to someone...rear jack point collapsed - there is really not much underneath it apparently. Feels like a design issue...especially since there seems to be zero on the subject in the owner's manual.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:01 PM
This side up.

Mein Auto: E46 M3, XL1200S, E39(RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patton03m3
This picture shows OEM jack points (red circles) and preferred jack points (green boxes). Don't use the rubber jack points (the ones with the x's) in front of the rear wheels to hold up one side of the car...they can collapse.
You say not to use the factory jack points as they are not reliable. Is this in fact correct? How can the factory indicate this for a jack point if they are not reliable. Is sounds really, really dangerous. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of using jack points other than recommended by the factory. I am confused what to use.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 convertible
Thanks guys!

Thanks Cowboy and Patton.... I knew someone on the forum would know the answer. I assume the dealer floor jack or the dogs on their lifts are designed to fit into those rubber boxes..... and I assume the cupped plate of a floor jact would just compress them.... so I'll use the OEM points indicated.

Thanks for the input!

Rick
Old 09-12-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3
You say not to use the factory jack points as they are not reliable. Is this in fact correct? How can the factory indicate this for a jack point if they are not reliable. Is sounds really, really dangerous. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of using jack points other than recommended by the factory. I am confused what to use.
They have been shown to collapse when attempting to hold up one entire side of the car on just one jack point. I've seen pictures (on another forum) of just that. If used together with other factory jack points they should work fine. But don't assume they will work just because they are the factory recommendations...people have also pulled their bumpers off when using the tow hook on the front bumper. It usually works out that the people that use the car on a daily basis end up knowing more about the actual structural integrity than the people that designed the car. Unfortunately.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:27 PM
This side up.

Quote:
They have been shown to collapse when attempting to hold up one entire side of the car on just one jack point. I've seen pictures (on another forum) of just that. If used together with other factory jack points they should work fine. But don't assume they will work just because they are the factory recommendations...people have also pulled their bumpers off when using the tow hook on the front bumper. It usually works out that the people that use the car on a daily basis end up knowing more about the actual structural integrity than the people that designed the car. Unfortunately.
This just seems absolutely ridiculous. If you used the jack points and it failed, would BMW cover the damages under warranty? For them to suggest a jack point with poor structural integrity seems not only unethical, but potentially lethally dangerous.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3
This just seems absolutely ridiculous. If you used the jack points and it failed, would BMW cover the damages under warranty? For them to suggest a jack point with poor structural integrity seems not only unethical, but potentially lethally dangerous.
Actually, since it doesn't come with a jack, and there is no mention of jack points in the manual...at least that I could find...it is an assumption that the rubber squares are intended to be useful. Have you found any official description of a jack point in BMW documentation? The pictures above were not provided by BMW, by the way, WRT to the jack points.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:23 AM
This side up.

Quote:
Actually, since it doesn't come with a jack, and there is no mention of jack points in the manual...at least that I could find...it is an assumption that the rubber squares are intended to be useful. Have you found any official description of a jack point in BMW documentation? The pictures above were not provided by BMW, by the way, WRT to the jack points.
Thanks. I'll look through the manual when I get a chance. Much appreciated.