Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.4
What would u rather have 4.6is S3, 4.8is, or Cayenne turbo??

Which of these models would you prefer, please feel free to leave comments about everything.

a used BMW X5 4.6is Ess supercharged for around $52,000
a used Bmw X5 4.6is Dinan supercharged around $60,000
a used Bmw X5 4.8 from $56,000-$65,000
a used Porsche Cayenne Turbo from $64,000-$75,000

I see it if I were to get the 4.6is supercharged I would have a lot of extra money to spend, plus payments would be cheaper. But the cons would be only 2 year warranty, and I read that Ess supercharger gets your car around 265 miles to a full gas tank. That seems really low to me, but im sure it would be killer on preformance.

I pros about the Dinan is I think you have a longer warranty, and you get the dinan deck badge. The cons is it cost approxiamtely $11,000 more than the ESS supercharger.

If I spend the extra money paying about $200 to $300 mopre a month and get the turbo I wont have to worry about the horrible gas mileage compared to a supercharged X5. Also how does insurance run on the Cayennes? Edmunds claimed the Cayenne Turbo gets somewhere between 360 to 475 miles to a tank of gas. Thats nearly 100-200 more miles on a full gas tank. I dont know if the gas tanks are the same size though.

Or I can get the 4.8 with no mods, and full warranty for the same price as the 4.6is supercharged. It wont be nearly as fast though. I dont know the full tank specs to the 4.8is but im sure it has to be better than supercharged.

What is everyones opinions? Out of the three which would you want to take? I am kinda leaning toward the 4.6is Ess Supercharged but i kinda scared about the 265 miles to a tank.
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
Cool Cayenne Turbo!

Hands down I would take the Porsche Cayenne TURBO! I mean you are churning out like 450bhp and 460lb-ft of torque with the porsche and you are saving on gas mileage also. Now in terms of performance the porsche beats the X5's. In terms of gas mileage it beats the BMW again. Now, since you are a previous BMW owner the loyalty factor might kick in and you might actually incline more towards the X5's which are again good options too but then again you may want to experiment somewhat and try something new....the pinnacle of all SUV's THE CAYENNE TURBO! I would personally go for that. . .but if not that then I wud jus grab the 4.8is no questions asked. .. .sorry am not a big fan of moded vehicles. . .I like my car to be luxurious and perform well stock. . .which is why I drive a V-12 750 E38 no mods. . .

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Old 09-20-2005, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: AMG ML63, M3 CSL, B7 RS4
Quote:
In terms of gas mileage it beats the BMW again
You're kidding right? I've driven several thousand miles in Cayennes and have owned two 4.8is and a 4.6i. The best I could achieve fuel mileage wise from the Cayenne TT was 12 miles per gallon (imperial) whereas the 4.6is averaged 16mpg and the 4.8is between 18 and 19mpg. On a long criuse I can comfortably achieve 22mpg in the 4.8is whereas in the Cayenne I couldn't managed to keep it above 13mpg. That's a massive difference with the 4.8is being more than 50% more economical than the Cayenne...

As for performance the 4.8is will is more immediate than the Cayenne TT picking up speed more quickly until the TT builds turbo boost and overcomes its weight disadvantage (approx 200kg heavier). The 4.8is is the more sporting car to drive, it sounds MUCH more special and it's much cheaper to buy. It will end up being a personal choice but there is no 'default' decision in such a selection particularly if it's name starts with Porsche.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: X6 3.5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved
You're kidding right? I've driven several thousand miles in Cayennes and have owned two 4.8is and a 4.6i. The best I could achieve fuel mileage wise from the Cayenne TT was 12 miles per gallon (imperial) whereas the 4.6is averaged 16mpg and the 4.8is between 18 and 19mpg. On a long criuse I can comfortably achieve 22mpg in the 4.8is whereas in the Cayenne I couldn't managed to keep it above 13mpg. That's a massive difference with the 4.8is being more than 50% more economical than the Cayenne...

As for performance the 4.8is will is more immediate than the Cayenne TT picking up speed more quickly until the TT builds turbo boost and overcomes its weight disadvantage (approx 200kg heavier). The 4.8is is the more sporting car to drive, it sounds MUCH more special and it's much cheaper to buy. It will end up being a personal choice but there is no 'default' decision in such a selection particularly if it's name starts with Porsche.
Steved, what do you think of the suspension and the suspension options in the Cayenne?
To me it seems like the cayenne got a more "modern" suspension solution with comfort ride etc, or?

Thanks
Daniel

Last edited by Daniel B; 09-20-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:51 AM

Compared to the 4.6is then the Cayenne Turbo does have a more modern suspension with a better balance of ride/handling but not compared to the 4.8is which has air suspension and is tuned for more sporting handling than the 4.6is AND better ride as well.

Personally I found the Cayenne a little 2-dimensional in it's handling, set up to be stiff with very little body roll but also very little chassis feel.

X-drive in the 4.8is makes a big difference compared to the simpler transmission in the 4.6is, it really allows you to get the power down early from mid-apex without the front end washing wide. You can feel it working for you in a corner and makes it much more agile. The Cayenne by comparison seemed more similar to the 4.6is in having heavy understeer and little chassis adjustability. I described it as feeling like a typical sporting Audi. The worst aspect though of the Cayenne when compared to the X5 was the lack of steering feel. I've driven a more recent Cayenne (2005 model) and Porsche have improved it compared to the earlier models I drove, but I was still glad to get back into the 4.8is and didn't miss anything about the Porsche apart from its more modern interior.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Compared to the 4.6is then the Cayenne Turbo does have a more modern suspension with a better balance of ride/handling but not compared to the 4.8is which has air suspension and is tuned for more sporting handling than the 4.6is AND better ride as well.

Personally I found the Cayenne a little 2-dimensional in it's handling, set up to be stiff with very little body roll but also very little chassis feel.

X-drive in the 4.8is makes a big difference compared to the simpler transmission in the 4.6is, it really allows you to get the power down early from mid-apex without the front end washing wide. You can feel it working for you in a corner and makes it much more agile. The Cayenne by comparison seemed more similar to the 4.6is in having heavy understeer and little chassis adjustability. I described it as feeling like a typical sporting Audi. The worst aspect though of the Cayenne when compared to the X5 was the lack of steering feel. I've driven a more recent Cayenne (2005 model) and Porsche have improved it compared to the earlier models I drove, but I was still glad to get back into the 4.8is and didn't miss anything about the Porsche apart from its more modern interior.
Thanks Steved!

I cant help it but i still think my 4,4 -05 with air suspension all around is a little bit to firm.
Guess it most depends on bad roads here in Sweden.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:30 AM

I have driven in Sweden many times and I know what you mean about the bad roads I guess it's the consequence of those cold winters breaking up the roads.

The only SUV that I've driven that was notably 'better' in the balance of ride/handling was the new Range Rover Sport. That rides like a limo yet still handles reasonably. It's not a sporting SUV like the X5 but then I suppose that suits some people. Personally I like a firm ride which is particularly re-assuring if entering a corner at speed.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
Don't forget to throw in the new SUV by mercedes. With the AMG version, its a real beast! Styling wise, looks okay, but I still think the X5 looks the best between bmw, merc and porsche.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Happy Trails!

Mein Auto: 330xi
I'd take the 4.8is in a heartbeat. I drove a friend's new one recently (exactly the way I would have ordered it too, in Imola Red/black leather - what a lucky b*stard LOL) and it was a blast! I have not driven a Cayenne, but the styling does not appeal to me as much. My 0.02.

04 BMW 330xi 6spd w/Premium,Sport,Winter & Xenon (Sold, sniff)
02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 09-20-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I have driven in Sweden many times and I know what you mean about the bad roads I guess it's the consequence of those cold winters breaking up the roads.

The only SUV that I've driven that was notably 'better' in the balance of ride/handling was the new Range Rover Sport. That rides like a limo yet still handles reasonably. It's not a sporting SUV like the X5 but then I suppose that suits some people. Personally I like a firm ride which is particularly re-assuring if entering a corner at speed.
I forgot to say...
I do really like my X, and i got a friend that got a cayenne and i must agree with Steved.
In sport handling the x with air suspension is great and feels like a sport car should act.

Hey Steved. Give me a mess next time your in Sweden so we can have a pint or two and talk X.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to x37
Mein Auto: 05 X5 4.8
I too drove the Cayenne turbo before I got the X and it was fast but with the x5 you feel more connected to the road, nothing drives like a BMW and the x5 just drives like its on rails. There is also asthetics, the cayenne's wheels and tires look puny for such a capable vehicle and to upgrade even close to the X will set you back at least $5000.00 then there is the exhaust note on the x5 reminds me of my old 302 mustang with 3 chamber flowmasters. It will boil down to personal preference but IMO you get more bang for the buck with the x5 4.8Is. Also I do not believe that any drivetrain components are upgraded with those supercharger kits and because they are so torquey long term reliability might be an issue.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:11 PM
BMW Fanatic

Mein Auto: BMW
Are you qiksvr1 on X5world? You posted the same over there