Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Newtothis.

Mein Auto: 1997 328i 4 door.
New to the forum and had some questions regarding general upgrades.

As you may be able to see in my name, I drive a 97 328i. I've saved some cash from my summer job and I would like to do some "tricking" out of my BMW. First things first, Im going to need body work and a paint job.. Afterwards I would like to add a full body kit, rims, and tints to my lights (not sure what they are called if they have a name). I have 2 questions... What sequence should I get the work done so that it's cost efficient and i dont have to jump around places... and more specifically, how much should I expect to pay for high end upgrades to my car? I wish I could be a little bit more detailed as to what I want to do, however I am pressed for time so any comments or questions you may have will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Seanie.
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2005, 08:08 AM
U know how the game goes

Mein Auto: BM-double Who's?
How about adding some basic performance mods first? ...instead of going straight for the bodykit and rimzz.

Might I suggest a CAI and an ECU chip. If you search our e36 forum you will find the popular brands.

Supercharged E36 325is 5sp
::ERT S/C, Auto-Manual Conv, SPAL Fan, Zeitronix, SAFCII, Alpine, Autotek, Orion, Angel Eyes, Tinted, Smoked, Trackpiped, and so much more::

Drop Top E46 330cic Step
::PP, SPP, CWP, HK, BT, Lumbar, Xenon, Tints, Clears, Remus Exhaust, ///M-Tech Wheels::
Old 09-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Newtothis.

Mein Auto: 1997 328i 4 door.
Besides the obvious performance enhancement, what exactly do those chips do and how would I get them installed?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:45 PM
U know how the game goes

Mein Auto: BM-double Who's?
A chip will increase HP by adjusting your timing and fine tuning your Air/Fuel curve. But I just noticed that your car is OBDII. You will need your ECU flashed.

www.turnermotorsport.com
www.dinancars.com
www.activeautowerke.com
www.techniquetuning.com

Are all good places to start. (not in that particular order)

Supercharged E36 325is 5sp
::ERT S/C, Auto-Manual Conv, SPAL Fan, Zeitronix, SAFCII, Alpine, Autotek, Orion, Angel Eyes, Tinted, Smoked, Trackpiped, and so much more::

Drop Top E46 330cic Step
::PP, SPP, CWP, HK, BT, Lumbar, Xenon, Tints, Clears, Remus Exhaust, ///M-Tech Wheels::

Last edited by BeRzErKaS; 09-25-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 318is
Wouldn't you want to get the bodykit the same time as you are getting the bodywork done and THEN get a paint job?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Astigmatic Visionary

Mein Auto: 325Cic-Topaz-Sand
If all you want is a flashy ride then go for it and enjoy. Might I offer a different plan though? Get a real good mechanical going over especially suspension and brakes make sure she really can handle the way a Bimmer should(possibly some suspension upgrades).Once you know it's up to snuff, upgrade the driver. Driving schools,autocrosses and track time are a real blast! Welcome and have fun either way(keep some money set aside for unplanned car problems)
Old 09-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e36 323i coupe
Sounds like you want to have the look, to become a more head-turner of a car than it already is.

Order body-kit first, install it the same time as you do your body-work, then the paint work.
Tints you can do that anytime, but I would say do that afte the paint work
Rims can go in at a later stage, follow by suspension
Don't go overboard with rim & suspension as I am sure you don't want to damage your new body-kit by a kerb or speed humps!
Old 09-30-2005, 07:59 AM
BMW ***** NOT in Maralynd

Send a message via AIM to SmootheEar
Mein Auto: 97 328i
im in the same boat as you are. recently got in an accident, giving me the oppotunity to do all the things your talking about. ya sure it may be more 'show' than 'go', but my mechanic has his limitations regarding insurance labor.

I would recommend to ditch the kit. The only one that looks worthwhile is the M3 conversion... if we had M3s. I would change the door side plastic moldings to the M3, while removing the badges, lower the front about 3/4", and do extensive work on the lights. I'm adding a small spoiler and lip kit, but maybe thats too 'tricked out' for you.

My car is almost out of the shop. From what I see thus far, its like a whole different kind of bimmer. Sorry if my suggestions seem a bit conservative, but I was restricted by my insurance payout from the accident.

EDIT: Make sure you get all your lights from the same manufacturer, it makes a huge difference.

Last edited by SmootheEar; 09-30-2005 at 08:06 AM.