Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 09-14-2002, 04:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by richard
I admit I can't stand NASCAR but not only because it's low tech. To me an oval is no test for man or machine. Granted, it takes big balls, but real driving talent...I don't know. As far as I'm concerned, ovals are for horses.
Low tech? You have no idea what you're talking about mr. man. Just because it's a pushrod V8 makes you think it's low tech? The basic design of the engine may be low tech, but the tecknology it takes to make that 355 c.i. pushrod engine produce the horses it needs at the rpm it has too (read pushrods) is nothing to scoff at. just because formula or CART lets the teams build fighters on wheels does not make the racing better. When a fan is watching a race, he doesn't give a crap about how complex the induction system or cooling system on a car is. He's watching it for the racing. The competition. Watching them bang fenders, have 4 cars abreast at 185 mph in a crosswind 12 inches apart. You are one shallow idiot if you think that doesn't take talent. on any given weekend half the field is in contention instead of 2 or 3 limp wristed pretty boys.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:57 PM
BMW = Big Monetary Waste

Mein Auto: 1985 Fiero 2M4
Yeah you guys are real funny with your jokes about hicks. Just who the heck do you think is the glue that holds this country together and makes it work? The people in the Heartland, that's who. Same kind of people who are NASCAR fans. Get off your elitist wannabe Euro high horse and get a big nasty grip.
1984 Red Dash Panels
1984 SS
Multi Colour Seatcovers
Old 09-14-2002, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
To each his own I quess, that's why there's more than one form of motorsport. By the way, I live in the Heartland, and certainly am working class, but to me NASCAR blows. It's one giant marketing excercise.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:49 PM

By the way, why do all you NASCAR fans always refer to F1 drivers as "limp wristed pretty boys"? I think you're being rather enthnocentric. I wonder if your drivers had names like Montoya, Schumacher, Raikkonen, Sato, etc. if you'd feel the same. Just because Winston Cup is all American doesn't make it better.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:57 PM
BMW = Big Monetary Waste

Mein Auto: 1985 Fiero 2M4
Richard have you ever seen an F1 driver up close? The average size is about 5'5" 120 lbs. I crap bigger than that.
1984 Red Dash Panels
1984 SS
Multi Colour Seatcovers
Old 09-14-2002, 10:07 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Quote:
Originally posted by Crummey2M4
I crap bigger than that.
We certainly would not want to underestimate your load of crap

TPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTP
Old 09-14-2002, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 2002
Quote:
By the way, why do all you NASCAR fans always refer to F1 drivers as "limp wristed pretty boys"? I think you're being rather enthnocentric. I wonder if your drivers had names like Montoya, Schumacher, Raikkonen, Sato, etc. if you'd feel the same. Just because Winston Cup is all American doesn't make it better.
what are you? a "been-lodden" follower? america aint good enough for you? i say go back on the boat that brought ya.
And Stay Out!
Old 09-15-2002, 04:41 AM

Yeah, I figured I'd get this narrow minded "America...love it or leave it" crap. You wonder why people label NASCAR fans hicks or rednecks. By the way, how many non-whites drive in Winston Cup, or work in it in any capacity?
Old 09-15-2002, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Yeah, I figured I'd get this narrow minded "America...love it or leave it" crap. You wonder why people label NASCAR fans hicks or rednecks. By the way, how many non-whites drive in Winston Cup, or work in it in any capacity?
Don't get me wrong, I don't support the hicks and rednecks...but I think you'd be surprised of the minority involvement in all of nascar's series. Filex Sabatas (WC team owner) is cuban. There is also an ex-basketball player (don't remember his name) who is an owner/driver. And there are alot african americans involved in crews and as trainers. Try not to be as ingnorant as the rednecks
Old 09-15-2002, 09:26 AM

DougDogs,
You're probably right. I just pisses me off that there is so much NASCAR coverage and so little of road racing. Right now it a perfect example. Speed Channel is showing the 6hrs of Mont Tremblant, which they will interrupt to show an Arca race. The good news is they will be broadcasting the 2002 F3000 races and the DTM series starting in November I believe.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto:
Nascar seemed better when ESPN carried the races. I always thought thier crew did a good job on the ins and outs of the garage area, and not so many commercials. Actually, I think ESPN covers any motorsports event better than anyone else. Lucky ?? for me I dont have the speed(nascar)channel on my cable system. Only minus to that is I don't get any info on F1 this year. Today's race in Italy was the first I've seen, and it was tape delayed

I don't know if speedchannel covers it at all, but, I wish there was more interest in rally racing in the USA. Those drivers have serious cahounas
Old 09-15-2002, 09:59 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Quote:
Originally posted by DougDogs

I don't know if speedchannel covers it at all, but, I wish there was more interest in rally racing in the USA. Those drivers have serious cahounas
WRC is one of the regularly scheduled programs (on several nights a week) on Speed channel
Old 09-16-2002, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by scottn2retro

WRC is one of the regularly scheduled programs (on several nights a week) on Speed channel
Damn....what I should have said about my cable company is that in order to get speedvision, I have to package it with other useless channels for an extra 20 bucks a month. With cable interenet, my bill is already at about 105 a month....guess it's gunna have to go up soon.