Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 09-15-2002, 07:09 AM
sometimes i wish for an x

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
ferrari 1-2 again

and lo and behold mechanical probs for williams

ferraris led by lap 4
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2002, 09:29 AM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Damn

Didn't get to see it, but thanks for the post - I won't waste my time. Damn, that means I gotta work on the house instead.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:31 AM

it's so typical. time to start the conspiracy theories. williams has great qualifying, then race day go ultra conservative setup and tend to have many mechanical probs....
Old 09-15-2002, 11:40 AM
95NU>*

Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
There is only thing more dreadful than watching another boring Ferrari 1-2 in F1.

ABC's coverage of another boring Ferrari 1-2 in F1.

Can that color announcer's voice BE more irritating? And Danny Sullivan ... please just stop talking before you are convicted of impersonating someone with active brain cells.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to GimpyMcFarlan
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Crimson/Beige
Unhappy Bummer...

Well, I just about called that one. But it was just on the wrong driver. Ralf toasted the engine and Montoya breaks a wishbone. Looks like Williams has both Engine and Chassis problems. God I hope I haven't blown $120 on US Grand Prix tickets for another BMW DNF.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
I agree the converage from ABC is not so good. The weekend is more than just the race though, it's a complex event. BMW and Williams are trying to take it to Ferrari. They are the best of the rest after all. They got there in qualifying, but I don't think they went "ultra conservative" for the race. They said they weren't going to run the new engine configuration yet. Ralf was quickest during the warmup and he found himself in front after a good start. The suspension failure for Juan was quite unusual. They do hit the curbs very hard at Monza and unfortunately it got them. Gimpy, maybe we will see the new engine configuration in the race at Indy. There's always a risk in bringing in new things, but they are trying to get closer to the reds. I don't see anyone else getting there.

I guess this guy kind of sums it up.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Old 09-15-2002, 12:38 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Next time, please don't put results in the subject line, and add a '*spoilers*' there as well. We don't get it on ABC here till 3PM local time.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz
Next time, please don't put results in the subject line, and add a '*spoilers*' there as well. We don't get it on ABC here till 3PM local time.
damn my bad kaz. i woke up this morning and checked on espn before abc broadcast here in tx. my bad though. i'll keep em quieter....
Old 09-15-2002, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Gotta agree about Danny Sullivan. Is he a stiff or what? And he's in charge of developing American talent for F1? Hope he's just a front man. One thing I do like about ABC's coverage is less commercials.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:18 PM
Audi, BMW or Porsche???

Mein Auto: 2010 S4, 2004 X3 2.5i
I stayed away from the fest even though I was cruising the internet this morning before the ABC broadcast. Actually, I stayed away from all BMW boards to avoid spoilers.

I almost wish I hadn't.

ABC's coverage was much more annoying than I remember, although I did stay interested in the race long enough to see the Ferraris go 1-2. At that point I started to actually fall asleep in front of the TV. I wound up shutting the race off and doing other things.

This has got to be the most boring season of F1 ever.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:32 AM

I can't figure out how McLaren and Williams with all their design talent and money, are so inferior to Ferrari. I don't remember Mclaren seeming as dominant in 1988 when they won 15 of 16 races. At least then we had Senna and Prost providing excitement trying to kill each other. If you remove Ferrari from the equation, this year would have been pretty good.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally posted by richard
I can't figure out how McLaren and Williams with all their design talent and money, are so inferior to Ferrari. I don't remember Mclaren seeming as dominant in 1988 when they won 15 of 16 races. At least then we had Senna and Prost providing excitement trying to kill each other. If you remove Ferrari from the equation, this year would have been pretty good.
The simple question: Is it the tires?

It could be, but I suspect it's a combination of tires, a very light transmission and a favorable aerodynamic downforce vs drag. The tires could be what makes the difference so distinct.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Old 09-16-2002, 05:30 PM

I know that the Bridgestones are made with the Ferrari in mind, but I think there's more to it than that. Ferrari must have some trick piece the others haven't stumbled across yet. Let's hope someone does in '03.