Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-01-2005, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
Question NAV Display startup

I just took delivery of a 2006 550i. Does anyone know what the NAV display should show upon startup? I get the "BMW" display for about 10 seconds before the lawyer screen comes up. This is annoying since none of the idrive functions or the parking system will work until this screen goes away.

Last edited by hamsterfanny; 11-01-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
That's what I get...

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 11-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Mine fluctuates from 2 secs to 8 secs..i dont think it goes to 10 secs..maybe it needs a software update dont know dont care still enjoying the car
New 2011 X5 35D Titanium Silver /Black leather/Premium Package/SPP/Rear sunshades/BMW Apps/Premium Sound/3rd Row/Aluminum Roof Rails/22"Hartge Classic II/Painted Reflectors/JBD/HID Fogs/LED interior lights
Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: Cars
It is a computer and it needs time to boot.
'71 2002 Green/Black - GONE
Old 11-01-2005, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Mine seems to take about 5 secs for it to clear. Although, my lawyer screen stays set and does not go away until I click accept. It might but, I don't generally wait that long for it too clear. Just got it Saturday and I love it and I am still working things out and finding my way around.

2009 335i CV Pick-Up 08/08/09
Alpine White/Saddle Leather/M SPT Pkg

2008 535xi May 15, 2007 Pick-Up Retired 08/08/09
Monaco Blue/Beige Dakota Seats/

2006 530 XI Delivery May 15, 2007 Retired
Old 11-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterfanny
I just took delivery of a 2006 550i. Does anyone know what the NAV display should show upon startup? I get the "BMW" display for about 10 seconds before the lawyer screen comes up. This is annoying since none of the idrive functions or the parking system will work until this screen goes away.

Like BillP said, it needs time to boot.

If I had to guess, I'd say that you park your car in your garage and don't lock it.

With an unlocked car, the nav starts to boot once you open a door (or trunk). When the car is locked, it starts to boot when you unlock the car.

Whether or not the car is locked, press the unlock button a few seconds before you reach your car and it should be mostly booted by the time you get in.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Rocket Scientist

Mein Auto: 2010 M3 and 2011 135i
Yes! Unlock the car as you approach. In most cases I find the Accept screen on immediately after starting the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
With an unlocked car, the nav starts to boot once you open a door (or trunk). When the car is locked, it starts to boot when you unlock the car.

Whether or not the car is locked, press the unlock button a few seconds before you reach your car and it should be mostly booted by the time you get in.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
I went back and checked and the "boot-up" time is actually closer to 20 seconds. Also, it doesn't seem to make any difference if the car is locked or unlocked or if I press the remote unlock button. Anyone have this same experience?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterfanny
I went back and checked and the "boot-up" time is actually closer to 20 seconds. Also, it doesn't seem to make any difference if the car is locked or unlocked or if I press the remote unlock button. Anyone have this same experience?
Seems odd to me. This morning I unlocked the car with the remote and probably 10 seconds later when I started the car I got the "Accept" screen essentially right away. I'll start paying more attention to the timing to see if I can correlate it with anything (like unlocking on approach).
Old 11-08-2005, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
550i nav display boot delay too

I too have a new 550 that is taking too long to boot (in excess of 20 seconds). The car does have "comfort access" as an option - I'm wondering whether this has any impact on the problem. I'm trying to determine whether the delay is a function of whether a) the display is turned off by the start/stop button after the engine is turned off - causing a shutdown of the computer and a complete boot up upon the next startup; or b) if you do NOT turn off the display with the start/stop button after shutting down the engine - and just lock the car - which should turn off the display itself (maybe the computer doesn't completely shut down and thus doesn't have to reboot). I have not been able to test what impact locking or not locking the door would have.

ONe of my questions I would like to get answsered is when does the control monitor (computer) start to boot - when the door is opened; or when the door is unlocked; or when the engine is started?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsol
ONe of my questions I would like to get answsered is when does the control monitor (computer) start to boot - when the door is opened; or when the door is unlocked; or when the engine is started?
I think the answer is ...all 3. Even opening the trunk of an unlocked car starts it booting.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
I think it depends how cold it is outside as well.

just kidding. I notice boot times are the same, depends how soon you unlock your car and how much time elapses between intial unlock and actually starting the car.

Overall I see about 10-15 seconds consistenty.

Some folks have commented that newer code appears to boot faster although now actual tests have been done before and after code upgrade.

One point of interest. Folks who recently got upgraded to CIP 19.1 or 19.2, did notice that the "BMW Assist Power Meter Bars" the icon located in the lower center of the display is now gone.

I am speculating that if there are in fact experiencing faster boot times, and this icon is now gone, maybe BMW had an issue in the boot process in which the car had to wait for cell service to come up before the boot process could complete, or timeout after x seconds. I would think the BMW Assist can worry about signal when the system needs to be used rather than at boot up.

Again, this is pure speculation on my part. Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Rocket Scientist

My experience before and after 19.01 is that...

Before: System booted on ignition.

After: System boots on first contact (i.e. unlock, ignition, etc.)

I think the boot time is still relatively lengthy, say 10 seconds. The difference is that instead of waiting after starting the engine for it to boot I unlock the car (even in my garage) and it is essentially ready (booted) by the time I get in and start it so there's no perceived delay.

I think they changed the boot trigger conditions to mitigate the delay, which is still there although perhaps reduced (don't know). It's also my impression that the system doesn't shut down as fast as it might have before meaning it's in a sleep mode and thus recovers very quickly on the next restart.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
info from BMW

It appears that the new 550's require 28 seconds for the computers to boot (when the boot process is completed the legal screen will appear). This process begins upon any of the following a) door unlock; b) door open; c) trunk unlock; d) hood open (yes, I know); or e) engine start.

Unfortunately, kind of defeats the purpose of "custom access". What it really means is that you need to unlock the door with the remote as soon as possible to get the computers booting before you get to the car, so when you get to the car you can get in, seat belt up, start the car, and have access to the computer info.

It would seem that BMW needs to shorten this time - kind of reminds you of microsoft windows doesn't it?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Comfort access although nice, was more for woman than men. Keys buried in purses and get young kids into child seats without having to much with keys.

Men on the other have keys readiliy avialable in their pockets for home and office so it really offers no benefit especially if you are carrying all the other keys anyway in your readily accessible pocket.

Quote:
It appears that the new 550's require 28 seconds for the computers to boot (when the boot process is completed the legal screen will appear). This process begins upon any of the following a) door unlock; b) door open; c) trunk unlock; d) hood open (yes, I know); or e) engine start.

Unfortunately, kind of defeats the purpose of "custom access". What it really means is that you need to unlock the door with the remote as soon as possible to get the computers booting before you get to the car, so when you get to the car you can get in, seat belt up, start the car, and have access to the computer info.

It would seem that BMW needs to shorten this time - kind of reminds you of microsoft windows doesn't it?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Rocket Scientist

Quote:

Ouch, did you measure all of these scenarios? You're more patient than me.