Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-03-2005, 02:29 PM
bmwguynj bmwguynj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 783
Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
530xi with Optional 18" Sports Package Rims?

Does anyone on here have the 530xi with the 18" Sports Package Rim option? Please post some photos please.

I did not get the sports package option with my 530x, since I believed that the 18" rims and run flats would be horrible in the snow even with AWD and I am most likely right, but when the winter season is over and no more snow, I am definitely thinking about getting a set of these 18" rims and installing them on the car.

They would fill the wheel well better and I like the nice thick tires.

Don't get me wrong, the 17" factory rims are decent looking, but they just don't look right on the 5 series. They still look too small. Some angles they look great, others they look too small and unusual when looking at the vehicle.

Anyone else have these thoughts too?
__________________
2012 Carbon Black BMW 550i M-Sport
2009 Black MB GL550 (Wife's Vehicle)
2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-06-2005, 08:14 AM
RobertB RobertB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Huntsville, AL - Rocket City!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: 06 530xi, 03 330Cic
I don't think the 18" rims fill the wheel well any more than the 17" rims do. The outer diameter of the tire is essentially the same (or everyone's speedo would be different). If I followed the calculations right from Tire Rack, then the 18" setup actually has a slightly smaller diameter than the 17" setup (25.71" versus 25.84")
(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=7)
(http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html)
The 530xi 17" comes with 225/50-17, 18" rims come with 2245/40-18

I think that most people who put 18" on a 530xi do one of the following:
- Put all season tires on the 18"
- Buy a set of 17" rims with snow tires and swap them around each spring/winter

I just ordered by 530xi with the 18" rims last week (and I'm already scheduled for production!). I will be visiting TireRack (or other sites) to get my 17" rims with snow tires. I did the same thing on my E39 (anybody want some 16" Borbet Type E's with Dunlop Winter Sport M2's for their E39?).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2005, 03:19 PM
bmwguynj bmwguynj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 783
Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertB
I don't think the 18" rims fill the wheel well any more than the 17" rims do. The outer diameter of the tire is essentially the same (or everyone's speedo would be different). If I followed the calculations right from Tire Rack, then the 18" setup actually has a slightly smaller diameter than the 17" setup (25.71" versus 25.84")
(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=7)
(http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html)
The 530xi 17" comes with 225/50-17, 18" rims come with 2245/40-18

I think that most people who put 18" on a 530xi do one of the following:
- Put all season tires on the 18"
- Buy a set of 17" rims with snow tires and swap them around each spring/winter

I just ordered by 530xi with the 18" rims last week (and I'm already scheduled for production!). I will be visiting TireRack (or other sites) to get my 17" rims with snow tires. I did the same thing on my E39 (anybody want some 16" Borbet Type E's with Dunlop Winter Sport M2's for their E39?).
Thanks for your reply, you're correct the larger rims just make the wheel look larger, but won't fill the wheel well as nicely as a 530i Sport. But they do look better on the 530xi than the factory 17" rims.

I guess it also depends on the angle you look at your vehicle. From a direct straight to the side look, the 17" rims look too small. From other angles, the rims look nice (much better than the previou Gens non-sport rims). Larger rims do make the vehicle look better overall and seeing the thicker tires are a beauty too.

The 18" rims with All Seasons is probabaly a good idea too (Michelin Pilot A/S is a great tire). Then you can see if you can get away with the 18" rims in the winter (probably not that good), but I am one of the lazy ones that don't like to switch out wheels and tires, so this maybe the solution. The runflats would be nice, but no good in the winter. A high performance tire like a the Michelin Pilot A/S would give you everything you needed, except the runflat capability.

Congrats on you upcoming 530xi! It's an incredible vehicle!
__________________
2012 Carbon Black BMW 550i M-Sport
2009 Black MB GL550 (Wife's Vehicle)
2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2005, 05:19 PM
RobertB RobertB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Huntsville, AL - Rocket City!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: 06 530xi, 03 330Cic
I'll be honest, I was really worried about getting a 530xi. Until last Friday, I drove a '99 528i with the Sport Package. I really liked the way that car handled, and I knew I would miss that car (I tend to bond with my cars and keep them a while). The day I turned in my 528i, the only xi on the lot was a 530xit with the 17" rims. I took it out for a drive and was really impressed. Sure - my 530xi will sit a little higher, and won't have ARS, but it will still handle quite well (at least, for what I want out of a car).

Good luck to you with yours!

If you want to sell your 17" rims/tires, let me know. I would love a set for my snow tires.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2005, 05:43 PM
bmwguynj bmwguynj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 783
Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertB
I'll be honest, I was really worried about getting a 530xi. Until last Friday, I drove a '99 528i with the Sport Package. I really liked the way that car handled, and I knew I would miss that car (I tend to bond with my cars and keep them a while). The day I turned in my 528i, the only xi on the lot was a 530xit with the 17" rims. I took it out for a drive and was really impressed. Sure - my 530xi will sit a little higher, and won't have ARS, but it will still handle quite well (at least, for what I want out of a car).

Good luck to you with yours!

If you want to sell your 17" rims/tires, let me know. I would love a set for my snow tires.
To tell you the truth, I should have gotten the 530i Sport with the ARS. I went with the 530xi, since winter was coming up and I felt I had to be practical to have an AWD vehicle during the winter. The 530xi is still fun to drive, but coming from a 2003 330i Sport and driving my brother's 545i Sport, the 530xi doesn't give you the fun factor you are expecting (although it's still more fun than any other car out there). A BMW without sports package still handles better than any other competitor out there, but the 530xi reminds me of my previous Japanese car (cushy braking and not so stiff steering). I really believe it is the sports package in the BMWs that gave you that nice firm ride, amazing handling and great steering feel.
__________________
2012 Carbon Black BMW 550i M-Sport
2009 Black MB GL550 (Wife's Vehicle)
2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2005, 09:59 AM
EGL's Avatar
EGL EGL is offline
No espresso cup holders?
Location: Northern Viriginia
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 103
Mein Auto: BMW 530xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguynj
Does anyone on here have the 530xi with the 18" Sports Package Rim option? Please post some photos please.

Here you go ...

Sorry, just noticed that you meant the sedan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw1024.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	60867  
__________________
GONE 2006 530xiT Olivine Green, Gray Interior, Anthracite Maple Trim, NAV, Comfort Seats, 18" wheels, PDC, Cold Pkg, Prem Sound, Prem Pkg, Rear shades, Comfort Access

2012 X5 35d Deep Sea Blue, Nevada Cinnamon Interior, Bamboo Trim, NAV, Comfort Seats, Adaptive Drive, etc. etc.

2008 650i convertible, Black w. Saddle Interior, fully loaded including Head-up (Wow!)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2005, 11:46 PM
bmwguynj bmwguynj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 783
Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGL
Here you go ...

Sorry, just noticed that you meant the sedan.
Hey EGL,

Thanks again for posting that pic, it looks good even on the wagon. Maybe I am just thinking that the 5 series at least needs an 18" rim to make it look good. The 17's are nice, but not good enough. I remember the 16's on the previous generation 530 non-sport and they were horrible.
__________________
2012 Carbon Black BMW 550i M-Sport
2009 Black MB GL550 (Wife's Vehicle)
2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Option code list Terry Kennedy General BMW 16 05-14-2006 03:59 PM
FS: 4 OEM STYLE 96 Sports Package rims & tires socal asayeedi Wheels and Tires 0 05-28-2005 01:27 PM
Blew out 2 Michelin pilot sports + messed up the rims madmaxny E46 (1999 - 2006) 17 02-07-2005 04:43 PM
Any 2001 / 2002 530 Pics with Sports Package Rims? bmwguynj 5 Series 5 06-23-2002 04:45 PM
question about sports package mike_mike General BMW 6 12-27-2001 07:56 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms