Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Special Agent

Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
Powder coating is a ceramic coating that is intially electrostatically charged in one pole than the metal object is charge at the opposite pole so the two attract and bond, then it is baked on at a high temperature. Most rims are powdercoated, exhaust etc, maybe done as well. I have had positive and negative experiences with the stuff and it really depends on who your coater is. This is how they would come from the factory since it is very durable and has benefits. The calipers on the red car are Brembos... and aftermarket manufacturer of Big Brake Kits and performance parts, many high end cars also use these, the yellow car has drilled rotors and appear to be the new Lotus, which is true street legal go cart! If I did not need the benefits of creature comforts that is the car I would have purchased instead of my MCS. All in all I agree with the previous poster, if you are going to paint them it will be half/assed and not really look good.... you would need to take all the calipers off of the car take the pads out , degrease/gunk them, spray them with self etching heat paint, reinstall the pads, bleed the system and then make sure everything is ok. Powder coating would invlove the same but having a powder coater coat them instead of the paint, this is the way to do it if you arer going to go through the hassle of everything else!
I would still imagine the warranty would be void on the front brakes... the aluminum and the paint/powder coat may hold more heat in and warp them. IMHO it is a waste of time and finances. An M or an AMG would come with the nicer calipers or a porsche etc.... sometimes those higher prices have some little touches, oh and I am sure Brembo will have a 3 series brake kit sooner or later! Best of Luck
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired

Old 10-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
I dont know if any of the members here, have toyed with the idea of painting the brakes.

Ive seen a DIY at other forums, shhhhhh! and wondering if members here have done it.

What paint did they use and what color seem to be the correct color to do it in?

Red, Orange, Blue or what?

I've seen a graphite porsche boxer, with red painted brakes, I think it looks cool.

Im just looking to other cheap projects, i guess to do, that doesnt destroy the car.

I like to see photos of others that have done so.

YEAH or NAY ?
I would have to say NAY! I think the red calipers come on the boxster S as a standard option. IMO calipers should only be black, silver or red, with red only being on a big brake system. Red seems to be a common color w/ big brake systems. I think painting your calipers, especially on a standard brake system would like childish and import racer like.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: E36M3, D.S.T.S. Purple
Don't do it.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
I say if you want to spend the time to detail and paint your brakes, go for it. Loving your car and tastefully detailing your brakes and painting the calipers is not ricer. It's love.

And like someone else ponted out: Most big brake kits come with red calipers.

Just make sure you take your time and do it right. Half-assed paint jobs will really show. And a good idea would be to get aftermarket brake pads due to the enormous amounts of brake dust from the stockers.

And if you do it, please post pics.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Arrive Alive w/ my e92 M3

Mein Auto: E90SG E92M3SG
Seems like the NAYS gets this one, thks for your input gang.

I do, however, a one point, thought of those larger slotted brakes after markets.
As the last set of photos I posted conveys, it surely looks ricey.
However, Mapezzul's reminder of the voiding the warranty brought it back to earth.

Replacing the brakes with dustfree brakepads, as misterlance suggested, maybe is the next best project i can do, for the meantime.

Can any members can recommend a good one.

Last edited by ase2dais; 10-23-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Jai Ram Ji Ki :-)

Send a message via AIM to TigerNY Send a message via Yahoo to TigerNY
Mein Auto: Benz SL 500 & 06-325xi
Definetly "NO", NOPE, nada, niat, nahi, "bilkul nahi" .. last two were for hindi speakers

I stand with Israel!
I support Equal Rights!
I support wars on terror!
I support capital punishment!
I believe in liberation of Tibet!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:42 AM

well just saw this boxster again with those red calipers, sure may looks nice on a E90, but considering the cost and voiding the warranty, maybe the brembo can be a project after my warranty is up.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...p?do=view&id=7

I not even sure if it will fit, well 4 yrs is a long time!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: Ford Focus
In the powder coating process the blast little glass beads or sand particles and the metal to rid it of all imperfections and rust. Then they spray a magnetically charged coloured powder at the metal which stick to it via the magnetic charge. They they bake it at a really high temperature so that the powder fuses to the metal. It's kinda like painting something but stronger.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:12 PM

just a note that I wanted to let you guys know wat I was envisioning when I posted this message months ago. I laid to rest the idea of painting them, for they sure will look tacking, but eventually in years to come, after that fun fare of a new car has faded, maybe a set of Brembo to liven up the car will be in order, as I have found this nice photo of Brembos Brakes on an E90 that I like to share with you folks.
For it sure looks good with SG, doesnt it? maybe a $2-3k venture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brembo.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	62071  
Old 11-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Artie's my hero

Mein Auto: Z4, E90 325
the brakes look ok, but the front lip is awful

I can't see spending 2-3 grand for brakes that will only work better than stock if you're tracking your car (not autocross, tracking)