Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch
I really like the look of these Kahn wheels... subtle
Yup, subtle, classic and elegant. Is that your 6 there GeneArch?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650iOzBoy
Yup, subtle, classic and elegant. Is that your 6 there GeneArch?
Nope.. it's a guy's over on Roadfly... notice that he also changed to the M mirrors.

I've inquired about those wheels several times but cannot get a reply from a distributor.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:05 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Post Welcome

Original Poster:

Your rim choice is very nice but boy they will be a pain to clean. I could not do it because of the cleaning required to keep them looking nice.

To The Maya Poster:

This rim is nice too, I considered it but it's too busy for me and I want a classy look for my Bimmers.

To The ACS Poster:

I really like this Type IV rim but... I am not sure if the wheels will be the thing I remember or the car. I really love the design the 6er offers which is the number one reason I purchased it. I like the idea of having rims but ones that compliment the car.

To 650iOZBOY:

Don't do it... See my comment on the first rim.

To GeneArch:

I like these... Are they Alluminum Alloys? Do you have the weight? I like that AM too!

Whatever you guys choose keep in mind why you bought the 6er. If you have to dress it up, do it right and do not forget to post!

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 11-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Thanks for all your thoughts. I agree about the ellipsoid (no.121), they do look nice on the 6, as did the similar version also on the Z9 concept. Yeah, the busy looking no.149 will most probably be a pain to clean!
The Z9 concept did a much better job of the rear end. The ellipsoids do appear to capture the lines as well. Does anyone know why the rear end was changed when the 645CSi was manufactured? It doesn't seem that it would been much more difficult to manufacture. Maybe problems with stashing the soft top and having some space for the golf club bags in the trunk (since the coupe and convertible were designed together).
Old 11-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton

To GeneArch:

I like these... Are they Alluminum Alloys? Do you have the weight? I like that AM too!

Whatever you guys choose keep in mind why you bought the 6er. If you have to dress it up, do it right and do not forget to post!

GMAN

Yes, they are alloys. No idea on the weight. Read about them on kahndesign.com and kahnwheels.com

Here's a shot of them on a SL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL-RSV.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	62288  

Last edited by GeneArch; 11-25-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 645
I like a wheel with a lip....

to me, non lipped wheels look like they should be on japanese cars.

Heres a perfect choice....

And not too expensive...

NAD-4
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nad4new23cp.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	62295  
Old 11-26-2005, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645; 911TT; Maserati
Thoughts on the topic of "snobbery"

I believe the therapists would classify this as "reverse snobbery".

As in "Hey, look at me. I'm not special." Manifestation of a overbundance of insecurity, but a prefound awareness that snobs are obnoxious to most people....so a pronounced and intrusive effort to convince everyone that he or she is self-unimpressed.

By the way, the recent, record-setting SEMA Show in Las Vegas is vindication of every man's birthright to customize his car, to distinguish it, to individualize it, to make it more special. Obviously that doesn't work for everyone. But the trend that began with hot-rodding in the 50's has never been more robust.

It's one thing to reply to a quest for opinion on a new wheel or a bodykit or a performance mod. It's quite another to go over the top with comments like "pimp". Apparently, a non-reply or a simple "I'm not crazy about the look" is beyond some people's capabilities.

I'm a long-term car guy, with a long list of Porsches and Ferraris and came to this forum looking for anecdotal and technical information on the new 6 Series I recently bought. While every board has its special children, this kind of sniping, to this degree, is disappointing.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:17 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Smile Welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
came to this forum looking for anecdotal and technical information on the new 6 Series I recently bought.
Hello and Welcome to the 6er family. Perhaps you can ask your question in a new thread.

We welcome your questions.

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 11-26-2005, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
The Z9 concept did a much better job of the rear end. The ellipsoids do appear to capture the lines as well. Does anyone know why the rear end was changed when the 645CSi was manufactured? It doesn't seem that it would been much more difficult to manufacture. Maybe problems with stashing the soft top and having some space for the golf club bags in the trunk (since the coupe and convertible were designed together).
I agree about the Z9's rear. I just had a closer look at the lines of the rear. I'm not even sure if they open up the boot. Have a look at the attachments below where I circled the joint part. I am unsure how the boot might open on this concept car without cracking up the rear windscreen. Unless the entire rear windscreen also lifts up like a station wagon, which means a redesign for the convertible version. That might partly explain why there are different rear lines on the E63 production cars to the Z9 concept.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	z9112222.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	62322   Click image for larger version

Name:	z914qqqqqq.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	62323  

Last edited by 650iOzBoy; 11-26-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I agree about the Z9's rear. I just had a closer look at the lines of the rear. I'm not even sure if they open up the boot. Have a look at the attachments below where I circled the joint part. I am unsure how the boot might open on this concept car without cracking up the rear windscreen. Unless the entire rear windscreen also lifts up like a station wagon, which means a redesign for the convertible version. That might partly explain why there are different rear lines on the E63 production cars to the Z9 concept.
I see the problem. Strange how these concepts cars are designed without the real world in mind. The trunk (boot) could open (and also accomodate a soft top of sorts) if it opened from the rear view window up and out, like a clamshell. But it would not be practical to use in the manner intended for a trunk (boot). Loading and unloading the groceries would be a nightmare. Or, it could also open if the joints by the rear window first caused the trunk lid to move up, to clear the fixed rear window. Now that could be a bear to manufacture, and there may not be enough clearance in the trunk for that kind of joint mechanism (although Mercedes' current CL class has a door jamb joint that moves in two dimensions -- or is that "planes" -- when it is opened - out and then open).

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 11-26-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
There's Heidi Klum. There's Claudia Schiffer. There's probably alot more German supermodels with better butts than the Bangle Butt. Bangle needs to study these butts for inspiration. I know I do.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:34 AM
weRe not in kansas anymoR

Mein Auto: 6er
its actually amazing how close the 6er wound up as production models often stray far from the concepts...it doesnt look as if the trunk does open in any way that would be useful on the concept car, but i think its great that BMW integrated the sharkfin away into our trunks to keep the roofline so clean, and am very happy that the style 121s were offered, i luv the way they look on the 6er
Old 11-29-2005, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej
I will spare my ability to be brutal and address you like I do one of my kids when I have to explain something to them. If you don't want an honest answer to a question, it is best not to ask it. When you title a post "Do you like these wheels?", you open yourself to any kind of opinion that is out there. If all you want is for people to say 'd00d tho53 wh33l5 are teh ROXOORZ!!!!!111one' you might want to try a forum with a slightly different demographic. And perhaps you should use your 'student' capacity to learn how to express yourself in English. Or any other legitimate language for that matter. You're much more likely to be able to afford your bimmers (and otherwise) at 'what 60!'

Unfortunately, not may people do.
Listen I will express my opinions whichever way I want too. . . Malibu is jus being a nosey jackass who jus is intrigued by almost all my posts for some weird reason
which is why I was reacting in that way. . .perhaps you should readup and then judge the situation rather then expressing your opinion explicitly

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold

Last edited by bimmer7; 11-29-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:28 AM

Question

Quote:
Thanks, Bimmer007 for all the advice. And your observations about saving my pennies and finally being able to afford a nice car are spot on, too. I see you haven't bothered to take a look at my sig. For a student-actuary you are one sharp knife. :moron:
What signature you talking about grandpa?

2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Old 11-29-2005, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Bimmer007 for all the advice. And your observations about saving my pennies and finally being able to afford a nice car are spot on, too. I see you haven't bothered to take a look at my sig. For a student-actuary you are one sharp knife. :moron:
grandpa my observations are not as deluded as yours. . . plus I dont even understand this weird sense of humor you guys still dragging with you from the 1800's

2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Old 11-29-2005, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645 Cic
No need to lower the standards here with name calling and such.

Regardless of whether or not anybody gives a care about wheels you like, if you like em, get em. If you don't, then don't. Do not rely on anybody else to make a decision on taste, preference, etc when it comes to something regarding appearance. It is all highly subjective.

I personally prefer wheels with lighter weight, easy to clean, with fairly clean and simple lines. But that is just MY opinion. Yours may vary.

Now if you want opinion on whether to have a particular technical feature, that has more merit and people with experience with a given feature can chime in on their time with it.

But to call names and be derogatory has no place on forum like this. If you can't be civil, another forum may be better suited for you.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer7
Listen I will express my opinions whichever way I want too. . . Malibu is jus being a nosey jackass who jus is intrigued by almost all my posts for some weird reason
which is why I was reacting in that way. . .perhaps you should readup and then judge the situation rather then expressing your opinion explicitly
Well, I *did* read the whole thread before I made that post. I realized after I had posted that it wasn't you who asked the initial question, but wasn't going to bail out and delete my post. I figured you would come back and have something to say.

I also let you have it for my extreme tiring of the lack of language skills evident just about everywhere. Won't take that back either, but it's nothing personal. It's not the only place I get on people for their atrocious writing ability. Who knows, you may be a journalist, copy wrighter, publisher or whatever who likes to slum every now-and-again...

As for MB being a nosey jackass, it's likely you're correct. Something occured to me, though. If we're all here, posting our opinions in an annonymous forum on the internet, doesn't that make us all nosey jackasses?

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .