Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Change of Pctograph in iDrive Screen

Yesterday I experienced a change of a pictograph on the iDrive screen. (I refuse to use the word "icon.") I don't know when or how or why it happened. Can someone help solve this mystery for me? (Cobradav and Intrepid probably already have the answer.)

The bottom column (the "footer" of the iDrive screen) contains various information. In the very center, when a paired phone is activated, is a pictograph showing signal strength and whether the phone is transmitting. (Somebody's idea of an electric pole with a transmitter on it, I suppose.) Immediately to the left of that was a pictograph which, until yesterday, was shaped like a pyramid. I don't know if it happened before or after I accessed the "secret menu," but now the pyramid has been replaced by a symbol or pictograph of a cell phone.

I haven't changed the phone or, to my knowledge, changed any setting in the iDrive relating to it. I thought the pyramid related to BMW Assist. (Originally I thought it was a signal strength meter, but it was always on high.) So I called BMW Assist and was told my status has not changed.

Does anyone know what the pyramid pictograph was and why it has departed. (It is like a rat jumping off a sinking ship?)
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 435i xDrive Coupe
I have a 2006 650i Coupe with 19.01 software. My footer on the left has radio information (SAT channel, FM Station, Song Name, etc.). I never had a pyramid or cell phone icon on the left.

Last edited by INTREPID; 12-01-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Are you sure you are not getting your 650 confused with your MB SLR computer?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:23 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
After 19.1

I have always had the cell phone indicator since my update in July.

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 12-01-2005, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto:
I just went out to the garage and checked again. It's not the Merc. It's the Bimmer. Nobody has a pyramid? The cell phone pictograph isn't on the left, more like the middle to the left of the mobile phone transmitter symbol.

The most left symbol on the footer of my iDrive screen has the name of the cell phone I paired to the car. (When I first paired the two I was asked to name the phone. I didn't realize it would show up on the car. The phone's name is, therefore, "Bmw." I tried to rename it but it wouldn't take. When I buy a new, fully functional RAZR, I intend to name it "Chuck92104." I'm into one-upmanship.)

It sounds to me like all the iDrives are unique. Who's making the damn things - Bavarian elves?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:39 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Red face Spooky

Something crazy is happening my friend. I had the Triangle before the update but it seems you would have the latest 19.x that I did not have before July.

Strange..............

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 12-01-2005, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto:
The 650i is in the garage right now, and the Nanny has parked the Durango in front because I am taking the truck tomorrow. (Rain is predicted.) But I wonder if the triangle has something to do with the satellite radio. I will check it out on Saturday, unless it is raining. But maybe somebody else with satellite radio can check.

Damndest thing. At first I thought the pyramid was a beehive and that I must be in Utah! Now this.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Guess again, it is not sat radio.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
The triangle by the communications series of indicators is considered to be an indication of roaming. Depending on service provider this may occur more frequently than with others. I am not sure which/whose system indicates this the most (Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc). I do get that when I go far enough away from my home system and occasionally I get that if I have had my phone away from the 6er for awhile (did I take it out of the area Ė I do not remember), have driven without it and then return it. The triangle pops up and then after a bit it disappears like it was confused over where we were at. The little handset pictograph (to use mailbuís terminology) that occasionally displays as well is to indicate a missed call while phone (and system are on) in the 6er. Once u clear the missed call log in iDrive that ICON (I canít help it) goes away.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradav
The triangle by the communications series of indicators is considered to be an indication of roaming. Depending on service provider this may occur more frequently than with others. I am not sure which/whose system indicates this the most (Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc). I do get that when I go far enough away from my home system and occasionally I get that if I have had my phone away from the 6er for awhile (did I take it out of the area Ė I do not remember), have driven without it and then return it. The triangle pops up and then after a bit it disappears like it was confused over where we were at. The little handset pictograph (to use mailbuís terminology) that occasionally displays as well is to indicate a missed call while phone (and system are on) in the 6er. Once u clear the missed call log in iDrive that ICON (I canít help it) goes away.
That's it! (Marilyn Monroe is an Icon. The 1957 Chevy Bel Air is an Icon (to some). Despite Bill Gates, a symbol or pictograph is NOT an Icon.)
Old 12-02-2005, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci
Cell Phone Symbol

Sorry -- Cobradave already answered.....

Last edited by Jittery; 12-02-2005 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
That's it! (Marilyn Monroe is an Icon. The 1957 Chevy Bel Air is an Icon (to some). Despite Bill Gates, a symbol or pictograph is NOT an Icon.)
So by that definition if something is more than 45 years old it qualifies as an icon?

Dosent Icon refer to religious symbolism?

I dont care one way or the other just asking.

Photobucket