Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645CI
AUX INPUT just added what a nightmare!!!

[SIZE=5Hi Everyone,
I just had my AUX INPUT installed and let me tell you what a nightmare that turned out to be. Please advise NO dealer in SoCal has a F**ken clue what they are talking about. I purchased Aux cable $65.Then the dealer wanted 3 1/2 hours @ $126 for the install, yes do the math. So I took it my friends Auto shop. JUST IN CASE you guys attempt this, the Aux Cable needs to plug in behind the CD/DVD player which is pretty easy, ONLY IF YOU KNOW THAT THIERS A SCREW holding the vents on top; you'll need to remove the Hazard/Door lock module which is one whole item 1st!!! Then that whole face plate with the radio comes right out. Then you'll find the spot for the aux input is already taken, you'll need to take the pins out of the old plug and place them on too the Aux plug and make sure you follow the retrofit instructions because they don't go in the same exact spot on the plug, they get moved around. Then the dealer needs to So-Called reprogram your car, BULL****T. It’s a matter of activating a feature using the GT-1. Which the dealer did for me "Goodwill". Please let me know if anyone in consider doing this, I’ll be more than happy to walk you through it. The install should not take more than 30-45min.[/SIZE]

Last edited by beewang; 12-23-2005 at 02:54 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 12-23-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645
Hey viken

can you please list the procedure step by step for us

I plan to do this as well. I think it would be very helpful
Old 12-23-2005, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: Just about everything
first with a fiber stick, or if your careful a pick tool. remove hazard lock switch. I found the easiest way was to approach it from the side.I did mar the one I just did and have a new one coming for it. no big deal, it will be used ... well out of a wrecked 645. Anyways disconnect the plug from the back of the switch

there is a torx screw under the switch, it will be vertical either a t15 or t20... remove

next remove the A/C vent, I use a hook tool from inside the vent and pull out on each side.

remove the two philip head screws on each side of the radio bezel.

next remove the boot on the shifter by pullin it up, not off.

remove the ashtray

then reach in the cavity of the shifter and pull up on the plastic piece that held the boot, disconnect the 4 plugs and remove

remove 4 torx head screws that will be visible

partially remove the unit and disconnect the harnesses, then completely remove

with that removed you are now able to grasp the trim bezel from underneath and pry up on it a little to release the clips.

remove the electrical plugs and set the unit aside safetly

remove the 4 philip head screws holding the dvd nav and the cd player in place

put the vehicle in gear and slide the unit out of the cavity.

remove the gps antenna, the radio antenna, the 3 pin plug to the fan, the 10 pin din cable, so your left with the one big square molex connector. squeeze the sides of it and flip the lever down, the plug will come out

next set the radio aside in a safe place

the last harness has the top passenger side plug in it that needs to be removed for the aux input to plug in. Here is the screwed up part, thathad my sleep deprived brain asking silly stupid questions here.

leave the pins in that plug, remove the pins from the other plug (adapter) and insert into the existing plug, if memory serves me it will be 2, 7, and 8. the plug is labeled on the front

now to remove the pins it is pretty simple, look at the one on the adapter first, little tit that holds the cover on, when depressed, it will slide to the right or whatever ay the arrow says. with a pick tool, depress on the tit that holds the pin in the socket, pull back an 1/8" and depress again, because it will most likely get caught up on the opening

remove and reinstall into the existing harness with the pins going in the hole assigned

put everything back together.

don't bother testing till the aux is assigned to the menu via the dealer and his computer

words of advise, use a few towels when removing the panels soas not to scratch. you candisconnect the battery so you willget no fault codes, but i believe that when disconnected the vehicle won't shift out of park.

you might ask why I don't care about fault codes, well your heading to the dealer anyways, they will reset them! that is why

sorry if not completely comprehensive, but I am operating on 2 hours of sleep in the past 57 hours.

Also i willpost a video on the one I did in about 2 hours or so...

jim
Old 01-07-2007, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: a steak
What is this AUX input for?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Allows you to listen to any device that produces audio via a "line out" or "headphone out" jack though the Audio system as another source. Such things as iPod, or any other brand of MP3 player, tape (cassette, 8-track - r u old enough?) CD or DVD player (audio portion only, not video).

Last edited by cobradav; 01-07-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradav View Post
Allows you to listen to any device that produces audio via a "line out" or "headphone out" jack though the Audio system as another source. Such things as iPod, or any other brand of MP3 player, tape (cassette, 8-track - r u old enough?) CD or DVD player (audio portion only, not video).
Yes, regrettably I am old enough to recall 8-tracks (I was born in 1963) and had a cassette player in my first car at age 16.

The dealer situated my iPod input in the glove box, and I am extremely thankful. That middle compartment is so dam* tiny as it is! I have 6 coins, 1 pack of gum, sunglasses and a pen in there...it's full!

This car is SERIOUSLY deficient of "hide-away" space, but what it lacks in convenience…it makes up for in power.

I slaughtered a bright yellow Porsche Carerra S4 today on PCH. He even tried it again at the second light… Poor guy! I felt like a kid again… Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old 01-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHR4CE1 View Post
Yes, regrettably I am old enough to recall 8-tracks (I was born in 1963) and had a cassette player in my first car at age 16.

The dealer situated my iPod input in the glove box, and I am extremely thankful. That middle compartment is so dam* tiny as it is! I have 6 coins, 1 pack of gum, sunglasses and a pen in there...it's full!

This car is SERIOUSLY deficient of "hide-away" space, but what it lacks in convenience…it makes up for in power.

I slaughtered a bright yellow Porsche Carerra S4 today on PCH. He even tried it again at the second light… Poor guy! I felt like a kid again… Weeeeeeeeeeee
Tweener. I knew he wasn't a 'snapper or Geezer. Tweener middle division I guess.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer View Post
Tweener. I knew he wasn't a 'snapper or Geezer. Tweener middle division I guess.
I did feel a little like a 'snapper today however!

I hammered that Porsche, and I haven't even gotten to push the "Magic" button yet. It must have been a slow Porsche!!!

After "getting on it" a little today...I think I am really gonna' like this car!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:20 AM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
Quote:
Yes, the iPod interface is designed for the glovebox, as otherwise most probably a custom made wiring harness would become necessary.

However you additionally should have the Aux input too in that middle compartment - that location as standard equipment is one of the very few changes for model year 07 (or is it different with the M6?). With previous 6er vintages, the Aux input had to retrofitted in the glovebox as well... and that's what the OP of this thread was referring to.

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 01-08-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Turismo View Post
Yes, the iPod interface is designed for the glovebox, as otherwise most probably a custom made wiring harness would become necessary.

However you additionally should have the Aux input too in that middle compartment - that location as standard equipment is one of the very few changes for model year 07 (or is it different with the M6?). With previous 6er vintages, the Aux input had to retrofitted in the glovebox as well... and that's what the OP of this thread was referring to.

Yes, I did find an input plug in the middle console, so that must be it.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 PM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
Quote:

Nice Bear-man.....Porsches are nice but over-rated. I drive my GF's 06 Carrera every now and then, and while it is quick, I don't like the ride or the rattles.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:17 PM
MB Driving Infidel

Mein Auto: R230
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGilmore View Post
Nice Bear-man.....Porsches are nice but over-rated. I drive my GF's 06 Carrera every now and then, and while it is quick, I don't like the ride or the rattles.
I agree that the non Turbo/GT3's are a bit boring. The 997 TT, however, is pure adrenaline and an absolute joy to drive
Old 01-09-2007, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: 6er
You should aquire a ETK TIS etc these discs give you valuable information ie

diagrams on removal of such items, Part diagrams and numbers, wiring diagrams

lucky if removing the Nav takes 5 mins really.

Now removing the Steering wheel thats fun, I could have done with a power drill for the main nut haha that was pure strength in the end haha

TIP : Hazard switch removal ... take a old credit card ( or a wifes current card ) and snap it to fit double it up and the hazards will pop right out no fuss
Old 01-10-2007, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: 630i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Turismo View Post
However you additionally should have the Aux input too in that middle compartment - that location as standard equipment is one of the very few changes for model year 07 (or is it different with the M6?).
I've got the aux input in the middle comparment under the armrest.

I'm assuming there is no power from the aux input so the iPod will run out of battery in a few hours.

Does any one know how you get power there? Can you hard wire a 9v dc adapter to the carphone cradle?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 AM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
I'm assuming there is no power from the aux input so the iPod will run out of battery in a few hours.
Exactly. Also, selecting songs while driving (or simply switching the thing on) will turn out as a major PITA too if you put the iPod in there!

Have you already searched the forum for 'iPod MOST interface'?

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 01-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Registered lunatic.

Mein Auto: M-Sport twins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
I've got the aux input in the middle comparment under the armrest.

Does any one know how you get power there? Can you hard wire a 9v dc adapter to the carphone cradle?
Not a 6 series, but i wired up an additional 12V outlet in the arm rest of my E60 to connect the monster iCharge to. This would give you power (and aux if you have it installed) in the center console.

Write up for the Aux install (5 series) with pictures of dash dismantling - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=aux

Write up for adding 12V outet to center console via modifying the "flashlight harness" that normally turns the glovebox flashlight into another 12V outlet - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=flashlight

I've only been in the M6 and I didn't really pay much attention to the glove box/arm rest area, so I'm not sure how much the M6/6 differ from the 5, but if you have rear 12V outlets on the 6, you should be able to tap them as a power source for my mod.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 PM
b_rashed

Mein Auto: 2009 750li
so this is what happened. i did the install on the AUX and went to the dealer to get it programmed but they told me that they would need to do the whole upgrade on the computer so it would be 300 total. i dont mind doing it because they said it would eliminate a lot of the bugs i get with the navigation and some other stuff with the car and the rep said he could retrofit the tail lights and headlights so they wouldnt give me an error message anymore since i upgraded to the new lci lights. but now i think im going to get the ipod hook up and just program the car since im spending the money anyway. my only problem is that i have the dinan stage 2 software, will it get erased from the computer??

Vehicles
2009 BMW 750LI (current)
2006 BMW 650I Convertible Sold- Dinan Stage 3, Full Throttle Body, Carbon Fiber Dual Intake, M6 Kit, LCI headlights and tailights, H&R lowering springs, 19" M6 wheels, custom magnaflow exhaust
1998 528I sold- hamann lip kit, euro headlights, custom exhaust
Old 07-31-2010, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645
THAT AWESOME! any one near Oxnard< Ca that would love to helpo me out? some extra cash a and lunch! JOSEREVELES@HOTMAIL.COM
Old 01-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ctryboi28
Mein Auto: 645 Convert
man your post was a life saver. i had input installed for $40, even though i had to go back and put pins in correct spot, but it saved me $80 of my money giving to dealership!!

long story to say thanks for your detailed instructions!!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 650 ic
aux retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric View Post
first with a fiber stick, or if your careful a pick tool. remove hazard lock switch. I found the easiest way was to approach it from the side.I did mar the one I just did and have a new one coming for it. no big deal, it will be used ... well out of a wrecked 645. Anyways disconnect the plug from the back of the switch

there is a torx screw under the switch, it will be vertical either a t15 or t20... remove

next remove the A/C vent, I use a hook tool from inside the vent and pull out on each side.

remove the two philip head screws on each side of the radio bezel.

next remove the boot on the shifter by pullin it up, not off.

remove the ashtray

then reach in the cavity of the shifter and pull up on the plastic piece that held the boot, disconnect the 4 plugs and remove

remove 4 torx head screws that will be visible

partially remove the unit and disconnect the harnesses, then completely remove

with that removed you are now able to grasp the trim bezel from underneath and pry up on it a little to release the clips.

remove the electrical plugs and set the unit aside safetly

remove the 4 philip head screws holding the dvd nav and the cd player in place

put the vehicle in gear and slide the unit out of the cavity.

remove the gps antenna, the radio antenna, the 3 pin plug to the fan, the 10 pin din cable, so your left with the one big square molex connector. squeeze the sides of it and flip the lever down, the plug will come out

next set the radio aside in a safe place

the last harness has the top passenger side plug in it that needs to be removed for the aux input to plug in. Here is the screwed up part, thathad my sleep deprived brain asking silly stupid questions here.

leave the pins in that plug, remove the pins from the other plug (adapter) and insert into the existing plug, if memory serves me it will be 2, 7, and 8. the plug is labeled on the front

now to remove the pins it is pretty simple, look at the one on the adapter first, little tit that holds the cover on, when depressed, it will slide to the right or whatever ay the arrow says. with a pick tool, depress on the tit that holds the pin in the socket, pull back an 1/8" and depress again, because it will most likely get caught up on the opening

remove and reinstall into the existing harness with the pins going in the hole assigned

put everything back together.

don't bother testing till the aux is assigned to the menu via the dealer and his computer

words of advise, use a few towels when removing the panels soas not to scratch. you candisconnect the battery so you willget no fault codes, but i believe that when disconnected the vehicle won't shift out of park.

you might ask why I don't care about fault codes, well your heading to the dealer anyways, they will reset them! that is why

sorry if not completely comprehensive, but I am operating on 2 hours of sleep in the past 57 hours.

Also i willpost a video on the one I did in about 2 hours or so...

jim
Is your video out yet? I would love to see it.