Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Come Back Soon

Mein Auto: 645Ci or Carveboard
Scheduled Service Questions

I have scheduled a service next week to update the software and have an Ipod Aux installed. So, I thought that I would ask the experts what to tell them and what to expect. First, thanks to reading this board and Roadfly, (thanks cobradav), I will be leaving my Ipod with them to insure that it is working before I bring it home.

I have had my 2004 645Ci for three weeks now, had planned on buying new, but I was able to buy this one from an acquaintance for what seems like a good price. And while I absolutely love the way it looks and drives, I have had one problem. On cold mornings, within the first mile or so, I get a steering fault warning. However, after I make a stop somewhere and start it back up it does not come back on. And it has never happened later in the day or after the car has been driven a bit. Temps have been down in the 30ís a few mornings here. I also had the IDrive freeze up at the accept menu one time and just would not let me past that screen. Otherwise it has been awesome. Is this unusual or just an IDrive glitch that updating will fix? The build date on the door panel is January 2004 and it was purchased in May of 2004. I do not know if the software had ever been updated.

Thanks for your help, I visit at least once a day to learn more about this car.
2008 550i - Carbon Black - Black Nasca Leather - Ventilated Seats - Dark Poplar Trim - Anthracite - Sport Package - Cold Weather Package - Logic7 - Sirius - Navigation - iPod - Comfort Access - Steptronic - HUD - M5 Wheels - Arrived July 17, 2007

Previously 77' 320i; 81' 318i; 85' 535i; 95' 525i; and 04' 645CiC
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2005, 07:24 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Question Tell The SA Your Issues

Hello My Friend and welcome to the 6er family.

The update will address you computer glitches. I experienced the iDrive scenario once and after I received my last update in July I have been fine every since.

Be sure to tell the SA exactly what your issues are so they can apply other patches (Updates) to your sub-system for things like the Steering message.

P.S. IDrive is spelled iDrive.

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 12-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Anything is possible!

Mein Auto: 07 550i, 08 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton
...P.S. IDrive is spelled iDrive.
What, it's not uDrive?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Come Back Soon

Satellite Radio

The dealer told me it was about $900 to have a satellite radio installed. Will the output on a portable satellite radio, which is around $100, be able to use the same Aux line they are adding for my iPod?
2008 550i - Carbon Black - Black Nasca Leather - Ventilated Seats - Dark Poplar Trim - Anthracite - Sport Package - Cold Weather Package - Logic7 - Sirius - Navigation - iPod - Comfort Access - Steptronic - HUD - M5 Wheels - Arrived July 17, 2007

Old 12-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Yes, anything that has basic left/right audio input will plug into the AUX jacks and you can control volume via the steering wheel or dash volume control.

However, for a 645, I would spring and get the integrated Sat Radio. It is much nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
The dealer told me it was about $900 to have a satellite radio installed. Will the output on a portable satellite radio, which is around $100, be able to use the same Aux line they are adding for my iPod?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:04 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFly650i
What, it's not uDrive?
Yep, pDrive.
Yep, mDrive too.

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 12-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
I have scheduled a service next week to update the software and have an Ipod Aux installed. So, I thought that I would ask the experts what to tell them and what to expect. First, thanks to reading this board and Roadfly, (thanks cobradav), I will be leaving my Ipod with them to insure that it is working before I bring it home.

I have had my 2004 645Ci for three weeks now, had planned on buying new, but I was able to buy this one from an acquaintance for what seems like a good price. And while I absolutely love the way it looks and drives, I have had one problem. On cold mornings, within the first mile or so, I get a steering fault warning. However, after I make a stop somewhere and start it back up it does not come back on. And it has never happened later in the day or after the car has been driven a bit. Temps have been down in the 30ís a few mornings here. I also had the IDrive freeze up at the accept menu one time and just would not let me past that screen. Otherwise it has been awesome. Is this unusual or just an IDrive glitch that updating will fix? The build date on the door panel is January 2004 and it was purchased in May of 2004. I do not know if the software had ever been updated.

Thanks for your help, I visit at least once a day to learn more about this car.

Welcome and glad to help

I just had the following experience from the cars first experience with freezing weather up at the Performance Center in Spartanberg, SC:

Got my first ICE indication display (good), first AS Hydraulic fault (bad) which told me to shut down immediately and not drive (a restart reset that and it never reappeared Ė I assume the same cold condition caused this) and my first ever iDrive reboot all by itself (bad) same cold day Ė and only the one time

I am going in for oil change so I will have them look at this too.

I just came across this Service Bulletin that could be the root cause of several problems. Kinda overlooked due to the generic title.

Here is the text of this one:

SI B 61 15 02
General Electrical Systems July 2004
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B61 15 02 dated April 2004.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
MOST Bus Diagnosis

MODEL
E60 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6Series)

E65, E66 (7 Series)

SITUATION
The customer may complain of one or more of the following complaints:

Crackling or popping sounds from all speakers.

Loss of audio.

Control display is constantly displaying the "BMW" banner.

iDrive controller is not responsive.

Control Display is blank, white or frozen on current menu screen.

CAUSE
Possible causes include:

Control module power or ground failure.

Fiber Optic cable connection fault or improper radius.

Faulty control module.

Dirty, scratched or defective Navigation map disc.

Navigation Computer over temperature.

AVT (Antenna Tuner) over temperature shutdown.

PROCEDURE
Refer to the attached "Functional Description" document from the DIS/GT1 or 2002 System Diagnosis for background information on faults and testing. Use the attached flow charts for troubleshooting.

With the introduction of DIS CD38 an improved "MOST system analysis" test plan is included to provide further troubleshooting for sporadic MOST faults. Please refer to Chart B on how to access this test plan.

When diagnosing sporadic MOST Bus complaints it is very important to understand exactly what the customer complaint is. Included in Chart B is a chart which describes the symptoms the customer may see when a particular module does perform a reset. This can be duplicated with the DIS software by performing a "component activation/control module reset" from within Control module functions of each MOST bus module.

Chart A: Fault diagnosis where fault is currently present.

Chart B: Fault diagnosis where fault is sporadic or intermittent.

ATTACHMENTS
view PDF attachment B611502ChartsA&B.
view PDF attachment B611502F_Description.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B611502ChartsA&B.pdf (21.7 KB, 510 views)
File Type: pdf B611502F_Description.pdf (99.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 12-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Come Back Soon

This information is so helpful to a new owner. Instead of just going in there and throwing myself at their mercy, I will be able to at least act like I know what I am talking about. I will explain the situation to the service department at the dealership, including the July 2004 Service Bulletin.

I will share my experience with this board in hope of providing some helpful information to others. This board makes owning the car even better because you get a prompt response from someone who been through it and doesnít treat you like an idiot, even if you canít spell iDrive.

And chuck92103 I agree that integrating the satellite radio would look better, but the portable Sirius S50 is pretty awesome. Plays movies on the LCD screen as well as stores up to 50 hours of music. I will able to take from the car, to the gym, to the office, and you can download music to it from the computer. I might not need the iPod.
Thanks again,
Tio

Old 12-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Grand Panjandrum

Mein Auto: 325 xit, Active E, 1200RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
And chuck92103 I agree that integrating the satellite radio would look better, but the portable Sirius S50 is pretty awesome. Plays movies on the LCD screen as well as stores up to 50 hours of music. I will able to take from the car, to the gym, to the office, and you can download music to it from the computer. I might not need the iPod.
Thanks again,
Tio
Tio - where would you stow the antenna that goes with the portable Sirius receiver? Is it integrated into the player? If it is, since satellite reception is "line-of-sight" where will you place the receiver? I'm also tussling with the choice of integrated sat radio, portable or neither.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Portables are great, but you have wires for power and antenna running everywhere. My neighbor bought one, uses only on long road trips because it is a hassle shuttling everywhere.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Come Back Soon

Here is the portable unit I was looking at:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1130363753674

Old 12-25-2005, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: none
Before you buy the sirius S50 portable...

if you think if you buy the S50 you can listen to LIVE broadcast or the actual sirius radio, you cant. in order to listen to the radio, you have to have the device in a car unit or house, whichever. while it is not in a dock of some sort, you can only listen to it as a mp3 player. i repeat you cannot listen to the radio!! do not be fooled!!