Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-25-2005, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
650 questions

Hey everyone,

Every time I see the 6 coupe on the road, I think it's a beautiful car. I currently have a 2000 323Ci. I'm looking to get a new car so I'm thinking about the coupe (growing up in Canada has diminished my appetite for convertibles!).

I have a few questions about the 650. I know it's a big car, what's the target age group (if one)? I'm 25, so I'm looking for a car that's not all over the place like the 3 in the Bay Area, but that's still sporty and eye-catching. Is the 6 targeted at the older age group, or do people in their twenties drive it as well?

Is the Monaco blue similar the topaz blue on the 3 series? That's the color of my 3 and I still love it. If not the blue, then I'd go for the black.

How does it handle compared to the 3/M3?

I like low-profile tires, and I like the 19" rims more than the standard 18" ones. My 3 has the sports package, and I've noticed a big difference between driving a car without it. My only concern would be if they're more easily damaged? I know that's a standard disclaimer, and I've never had a problem on my 3. Is the 6 any different?

As for prices, anybody know if Bay Area dealers are charging above MSRP?

Thanks everyone,
John
Advertisement
Old 12-25-2005, 08:00 AM

i am on the other side of the country but by i just purchased a car below msrp
Old 12-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
what's the target age group (if one)?

I am not sure if they were targeting an age group or more of a certain kind of buyer. i.e. Porsche 911 has no age group. As we get older we typically have more disposable income and therefore older folks tend to buy more expensive cars. However, if I was 18, I would love to have a 6 series or a 911.

Is the 6 targeted at the older age group, or do people in their twenties drive it as well?

On this board, folks from 22 to 63 years old have the 6 series.

Is the Monaco blue similar the topaz blue on the 3 series?

Not sure. Monaco is best desrcibed as Dark Navy Blue.

How does it handle compared to the 3/M3?

The 6 series blows away all existing BMW's except for the current E60 M5/ E63 M6. It has amazing handling and performance.

I like low-profile tires, and I like the 19" rims more than the standard 18" ones. My 3 has the sports package, and I've noticed a big difference between driving a car without it. My only concern would be if they're more easily damaged? I know that's a standard disclaimer, and I've never had a problem on my 3. Is the 6 any different?

Larger tires are more susceptible to damage than smaller tires when the side wall height decreases (i.e. low profile tires). The standard wheels for example on the 6 series are 18". The sport package upgrades to 19" wheels. The sidewall is a lower profile. There will be even more chance of damage going to 20" or 21" wheels, which have a lower profile and tend to ride very rough because of the extremely stiff sidewall.

As for prices, anybody know if Bay Area dealers are charging above MSRP?

Going through Internet/Fleet sales, you should be able to get one for MSRP or less. Depends on dealer and inventory. Getting 2-3k off sticker is not unheard of.

Last edited by chuck92103; 12-25-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645
well I think Id be best to attack your question given...

that I live in the Bay Area, Just bought a 6 and came out of an M3. I am hyper critical as it relates to cars and I'm like Mikey in the Life commercial...I hate everything that isnt done right.

Performance....its a tie.

Fun to drive...M3 by and edge

Comfort...6 by leaps and bounds

Curb appeal....6 by leaps and bounds

Gas Mileage....tie

Features gizmos and toys.....6 by leaps and bounds

value....tie

I would say im very pleased with my decision to make the transition from 3 to 6 as it gave me the missing luxury factor I was so in search of without compromising performance. The E46 M3 was hands down the greatest car I've ever owned or driven just to put it in perspective, and yes, I have owned a 993 cab. I've also owned a S500 coupe, test driven Bentley GT's Ferrari's. Astons, Jag Super 8's, Lexuses, Acuras, Audi S6 and virtually every car out there worth owning. To even further illustrate my point, check this... I couldn't even bear to sell my M3. I gave the car to the manager of my store as a bonus for high sales to keep it in the family. It's kind of a part of me and I love the fact that I still have access to it.

Bear in mind I bought a 6 speed 6 because I drive cars, they dont drive me. If the M3 is in your mindset, I'd HIGHLY recommend taking the time to find a 6 speed or SMG verson of the 6 series especially if you plan to do some cool stage 1 modding to her i.e. muffler, ssk, chip, springs etc. If youve got the perofrmance bug like most of us do, dont settle for auto here. The 6 speed is buttery smooth and is a pleasure to drive, even in Bay Area traffic. The only thing I don't like about it is the throw...too sloppy and long. Kelleners has a 50% SSK for under $200!!! being installed on the 27th...keep posted.

As for price/purchase, I would NEVER buy a car in the Bay Area. It's the worst place on EARTH to purchase a vehicle. Look for one out of Texas, Pennsylvania or Florida and you'll save at least ten grand on a used one. I would also never buy a car like this new. Buy it with 10K miles on it and let someone else take the depreciative hit on the car. Any car as reliable as a BMW and has a warranty as extensive as BMW is the perfect candidate for buying pre-owned. Further, an adult driven 6 would be much less likely be found abused with 10K mi on her than say a Porsche or M3.

I think you are at about the same crossroad as myself when I decided to pull the trigger. The 6 is truly an ecclectic machine, giving you the luxury you seek without making you feel like youre ready for pasture.

The only car I'd rather own than this one as my daily driver would be a Bentley GT coupe. Factoring in the difference in cost to own/operate between the two, you can easily see why the 6 is hard to beat.

It's a wonderful choice you wont regret.

I also owned/loved a topaz X5 if we can get deeper in the Twilight Zone. The car you would need to find would be a Mystic blue car only made for 645 for 04 and 05. I searched for 3 months for a non automatic Mystic 645 and found mine for $57K out of Florida. Mystic is very close to Topaz. A little more flake and a hair more electric. Monaco is almost black. It's very drab. The color didnt do it for me. IMHO, in 06, BMW should have scrapped Monaco, Atlantic and Sapphie black colors entirely, used CARBON black (a most awesome midnight blue M3 color that changes color like a chameleon) and called it the day.

Last edited by phunkfarm; 12-25-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:27 PM

Thanks for all the information, I'll setup a test drive when I come back in the new year. I'm definitely going for the stick shift, I don't know how to drive automatic

phunkfarm: I know exactly what you mean. The 3 drives awesome and looks great, but I want to feel like I'm driving a luxury car without sacrificing performance. I also want something that's not all over the neighbourhood if you know what I mean.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkfarm
It's a wonderful choice you wont regret.
Well said, 'snapper
Old 12-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Nothing witty here

Mein Auto: here
Not sure about the demographics but I'm 34. I think if you want one, you should get one. Who cares what you are supposed to look like in the car? Think of it this way:

1. If you are older looking and drive a 6. People will think that you earned it or you are trying to still drive a stylish 2 door.
2. If you are younger looking, then you can piss people off because they'll think you're some rich kid or you stole it from daddy while he's on vacation.

Bottom line, who cares? If you like it, and can afford it, get one. It's your money and nobody can tell you to do it. My friends had mixed thoughts but after they saw it or rode in it, they did not have any more questions or doubts. The biggest question though, is what comes next? Can you go back to the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry afterwards?

Otherwise, I had an E36 (M3) and this car blows it away. The Sport package is firm but not harsh. I love the handling and the feel. It's a big car but does not feel like it at all.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:18 AM
BOSTON 650 driver

If you like it, then get it. I am 23 and I dont care what other people think what I drive!!!

and if you put some nice sporty rims and exhaust, its not gonna be a the same car older people drive
Old 12-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaomiao
If you like it, then get it. I am 23 and I dont care what other people think what I drive!!!

and if you put some nice sporty rims and exhaust, its not gonna be a the same car older people drive

23 and drive a new 650 - that's amazing. Congratulations! When I was 23 I was still in school - and driving a used nissan 200sx turbo - and I could barely afford the payments on that!! If I had a new 6 - I'm sure my college life would have been "enhanced" significantly!

[His] 2006 750i Sport - Jet Black, 21" wheels, premium sound, luxury seating, convenience, comfort access, Sirius (Jet)
[Hers] 2008 650i - Metallic Black, Sports, Prem Sound, HUD, HD Radio, Cold Weather, Sirius (Shiloh)

Moved on from:
2005 645Ci (Ava)
2004 545i (Chief)
2002 330i (Kira)
1998 528i (Slick)
1999 540i (Sly)
Old 12-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
When I was 26 I bought my 3.0CS (my second Bimmer). In 1972 that was the closest thing BMW (or anyone else) had to the 6er. It cost $11,000, with tax and registration. (I negotiated with my dealer and got him to knock down the price a bit and to throw in the Blaupunkt radio/stereo.)
Old 12-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Nothing witty here

I didn't get my first bimmer until I was 27 (E36 M3 coupe). Before that, I used to sneak out in my stepdad's light blue metallic L6 (remember those?) with a creme interior. That got me hooked on the big Bimmer coupes. Sold my M3 in 2001 (well, traded it in for a Lexus IS300) and took me another 4.5 years to get my very own big Bimmer coupe. It's worth the wait!
Old 12-26-2005, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800
I didn't get my first bimmer until I was 27 (E36 M3 coupe). Before that, I used to sneak out in my stepdad's light blue metallic L6 (remember those?) with a creme interior. That got me hooked on the big Bimmer coupes. Sold my M3 in 2001 (well, traded it in for a Lexus IS300) and took me another 4.5 years to get my very own big Bimmer coupe. It's worth the wait!
Great looking car (except for those two damn holes in the bumper).
Old 12-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Nothing witty here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
The 4 holes for the radar or the 2 holes with the black screws in them?
Old 12-26-2005, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800
The 4 holes for the radar or the 2 holes with the black screws in them?
Match the bold faced words:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer