Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > The MINI Board

The MINI Board
The Mini Cooper Forum

Old 12-29-2005, 09:05 AM
04 IR/NB ZHP

Mein Auto: 04 Imola Zhp
Electric Seats

Why oh why is this not an option in the mini? Multiple drivers need the memory button, cause there are no less than 4 levers to deal with when setting the right position. Chop chop Oxford.
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe
Then the damn thing would cost more than a 3 series. Plus the idea about the car is to keep it light. Power memory seats would add like 100lbs to the car making it even slower than it already is.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:37 PM
04 IR/NB ZHP

Not slow, rather reduced fast. This thing goes 0 to 60 in 6 and change...Much like a 3 series.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
Why oh why is this not an option in the mini? Multiple drivers need the memory button, cause there are no less than 4 levers to deal with when setting the right position. Chop chop Oxford.
Electric seats in a MNI? Ha ha ha
Old 12-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
Electric seats in a MNI? Ha ha ha
Don't you have to get out of a mini to change your mind?

I am not sure they can cram anything else in that car.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Not slow, rather reduced fast. This thing goes 0 to 60 in 6 and change...Much like a 3 series.
This is funny

Do you have the JCW's package? Was your a ZERO option car?

That's about the only way you'll get a MCS to go to 60 in 6 and change.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:30 PM
04 IR/NB ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjandon
This is funny

Do you have the JCW's package? Was your a ZERO option car?

That's about the only way you'll get a MCS to go to 60 in 6 and change.
Maybe you should pick up a manual, or even the "color brochure" if that suits you and look up the tech data. Not my data, rather that pulblsihed by BMW

Cooper 5 speed 8.5
Cooper S 6 speed 6.8

Granted I have an auto which would take off some tenths...

Last edited by Arthur; 12-30-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should pick up a manual, or even the "color brochure" if that suits you and look up the tech data. Not my data, rather that pulblsihed by BMW

Cooper 5 speed 8.5
Cooper S 6 speed 6.8

Granted I have an auto which would take off some tenths...

0-60 in 6.8 does not equal 6 and change.

Per the JCW's website, with JCW's it only hits 60 6.5 sec. with the tuning kit.

Still not 6 and change. That's mid and high sixes and your only going to get those numbers by droping the clutch at 3 grand.

Also, those number are based on Zero Option cars. No sunroof, No leather, no auto AC, no cruise. When you option the car out you'll add at least 100lbs which will put you well into 7 sec. range.

Don't get me wrong, the mini is a great little car that falls into a lot of car catagories, but overall it is at the top of the class of the Econo Boxes (corolla, Tc, Mazda 3), Mid-low pack of the Euro hathches (GTi, A3, 9-3)and low end of the affordable sports cars (RX-8, 350z)

This is why I just can't come to buying one. I've come very close to signing the papers 3 times on a Cooper S with Factory JCW's, but at 29 grand there are a lot better/faster cars out there. The only reason I keep considering it is that the resale on the Mini's are great. That is probably the best feature of the Mini. But we'll see how well that holds up when the new body style arrives in 2007.

BTW, have you been to:

www.motoringfile.com

www.mini2.com

Many more mini fans other there than here. Most here would just buy a 3 series and pray for the 1 and 2 series to come over.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 991 Carrera
Just to add flame to the fire, the June 2005 issue of Car and Driver tested a manual MCS convertible to 6.6 seconds 0-60 and said that was the fastest one they'd ever tested. As far as the original topic, I'm totally okay with the manual seats in my MCS, would not want the extra weight or complexity of electric seats. I might think different if I had to trade drivers more often than I do. And to anyone possibly in the market for a MINI, I urge you to test drive it. You either "get it" or you don't. I didn't really comparison shop for my second car, I knew I wanted a MINI. Since my "other" car is an E46 M3, I think that qualifies me as a BMW enthusiast, I knew the limitations of the MINI when I bought it and nothing else made me smile like it does. Mine is minimally optioned, no sunroof, cloth interior, LSD, etc. First mod was to ditch the stock wheels/runflats with performance tires on lighter wheels. Second mod will probably be rear sway bar. Don't currently have any engine mods planned, I am happy with its straightline performance.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:42 AM
04 IR/NB ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjandon
0-60 in 6.8 does not equal 6 and change.

Per the JCW's website, with JCW's it only hits 60 6.5 sec. with the tuning kit.

Still not 6 and change. That's mid and high sixes and your only going to get those numbers by droping the clutch at 3 grand.

Also, those number are based on Zero Option cars. No sunroof, No leather, no auto AC, no cruise. When you option the car out you'll add at least 100lbs which will put you well into 7 sec. range.

Don't get me wrong, the mini is a great little car that falls into a lot of car catagories, but overall it is at the top of the class of the Econo Boxes (corolla, Tc, Mazda 3), Mid-low pack of the Euro hathches (GTi, A3, 9-3)and low end of the affordable sports cars (RX-8, 350z)

This is why I just can't come to buying one. I've come very close to signing the papers 3 times on a Cooper S with Factory JCW's, but at 29 grand there are a lot better/faster cars out there. The only reason I keep considering it is that the resale on the Mini's are great. That is probably the best feature of the Mini. But we'll see how well that holds up when the new body style arrives in 2007.

BTW, have you been to:

www.motoringfile.com

www.mini2.com

Many more mini fans other there than here. Most here would just buy a 3 series and pray for the 1 and 2 series to come over.
I am not in any way suggesting the mini is a fast sports car. Rather the opposite, its a small hatch that has some horsepower. Lets not split hairs over portions of a second. Like the last post said, you get it or you don't. This thing is for my wife who drives the speed limit, so lets have electric seats as an option. As the latest review in Car and Driver I believe put it: the manual seat functions are "infuriatingly" difficult to deal with.