Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Jet Black 650i
Resistal Appearance Protection

During the purchase process at Beverly Hills BMW, they asked me if I wanted a couple "subscription" type services for $20 a month.

One was something called "Resistal Appearance Protection".

Its a 5 year warranty.

"Protects against permanent damage caused by oxidation, fading, loss of gloss, permanent hard water etching, industrial fallout, bird droppings, insects, tree sap, and acid rain. Protects Fabric, Vinyl, and Leather against permenant damage caused by fading, chewing gum, loose seam stitches, and permenant staining caused by food, drink, ink, dye, lipstick, makeup, crayons, urine, vomit, and oil based stains. Additionally, coverage against punctures less than 1/4" in diameter and rips or tears less than one inch."

Its something they apply to the car once, and takes about 4 hours he said.

Cost is $600.

Does this replace having to freak out about an initial waxing or sealant maybe?
Ads by Google
Old 01-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
No, paint sealant is a gimmick.

Pure dealer profit.

Save your money and get 4 professional details @$150 over the next 5 years.

Paint will get dirty and need cleaning regardless of the sealing technique. When you apply a cleaner/polish to clean the paint you remove any coating the dealer would apply anyway.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Mathemagician

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci 04 745Li 07GL450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevervana
"Protects against permanent damage caused by oxidation, fading, loss of gloss, permanent hard water etching, industrial fallout, bird droppings, insects, tree sap, and acid rain. Protects Fabric, Vinyl, and Leather against permenant damage caused by fading, chewing gum, loose seam stitches, and permenant
Permanent seems to be the operative word here. How many of your problems will be deemed temporary?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Any deal such as this sold by a dealer (similar to extended warranty coverage at an electronics superstore) is almost pure profit for the retailer and the insurer. You could be struck by lightning, but that's about it.

I did buy the runflat tire and wheel warranty however. It went like this. "Would you like to buy the runflat tire and rim warranty?" "How much is it?" "$795." "No thanks, I wouldn't pay more than $400 for it, since that's the cost of 1 tire." "It cost us $395; what if we sell it to you for $450?" "Sold."

Even then, I suspect the "insurer" will make money on me. But I have had many flats because of where I live (lots of construction nearby, all the time), and I am a lawyer who will not be shy to assert his rights.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

Ok I need to clarify something here:

1) I was told by you guys that I need to get a sealant on there. A traveling detailer will provide that sealant?
2) Was told by a friend you can have a sealant "film" put on the paint that reduces its exposure and swirling.
3) Was told by the Bev Hills dealer that this sealant *is* the sealant everyone is talking about. But a detail does not provide it.

Help.....?

Thanks

Last edited by Nevervana; 01-16-2006 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 AM
Banned

Bump....
Old 01-16-2006, 06:31 AM
Graham

Mein Auto: 2004 645i Coupe
you might want to got to the detailing forum here at Bimmerfest and at Roadfly and read the "stickies" they have on detailing, which should answer a lot of your questions. I am at the stage now where I don't let the dealer wash my car when I take it in for work. If you look at the rags they use, you wouldn't either.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambishop
you might want to got to the detailing forum here at Bimmerfest and at Roadfly and read the "stickies" they have on detailing, which should answer a lot of your questions. I am at the stage now where I don't let the dealer wash my car when I take it in for work. If you look at the rags they use, you wouldn't either.
Graham - I won't even take my car to your dealer! After all, he is almost 200 miles away in 29 Stumps and I would have to drive through the desert to get there. You should buy him some MF towels as a going away gift when you leave. (Where are you going to retire?)
Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Banned

Well I opted to bail on the ResistAll paint sealant offer from BMW Beverly Hills, and instead have a local luxury car detailer come by and wash my car and give it its first wax.

To my chagrin (ive always wanted to use that word), at night, in the parking lot under the lights, I could see swirl marks from his cleaning.

I was pissed.

This guy is supposedly good. I assume he's not a freakin idiot. He's got new porsche's and benz's parked in front of his house every week that he works on. But there it was, clear as day, swirl marks that clearly were the result of one or two brand new swipes of the cloth.

So basically its IMPOSSIBLE to wipe ANYTHING on a jet black car without causing swirling, or is this guy just completely inept at doing his job???
Old 01-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Nothing witty here

Mein Auto: here
That's what comes with a black car. Having owned 2 black cars, I will never do it again.

Last edited by lawman800; 01-16-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: It's constantly changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800
That what comes with a black car. Having owned 2 black cars, I will never do it again.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned

Im terrified for my first "Im with Stupid" response from someone.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: It's constantly changing.
Quote:
Im terrified for my first "Im with Stupid" response from someone.
I would much rather that it said, "I Agree With Him", but unfortunately that's not one of the options.

Last edited by wwb4; 01-17-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:28 AM
Graham

Mein Auto: 2004 645i Coupe
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
Graham - I won't even take my car to your dealer! After all, he is almost 200 miles away in 29 Stumps and I would have to drive through the desert to get there. You should buy him some MF towels as a going away gift when you leave. (Where are you going to retire?)
I go to Palm Springs BMW. I've been very happy with them, but you have to pick the days when you go there...like not on a windy day. They are 60 miles from me.
I am going to Kerville Texas where I am gonna park the car for a while. My wife is a school teacher in Guantanamo Bay and I am gonna go there. Would take the car, but the top speed on the base is 35mph and that is only about a 4 or 5 mile stretch. The rest is limited to 25 mph. And there are speed traps all over the place. My brother-in-law is going to run the car once a week for me until the summer when I get back.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Banned

Black is one of the nicest colors to have for a car.

However, the upkeep and swirl marks can be quite daunting.

A lot of folks on the 3 series board are opting for the Sparkling Graphite (metallic black) which seems to be a little better from a maintenance perspective.

Nevervana, did you get back, or metallic paint?

In either case, I would find a detailer that uses Zaino/Klais, clay bars, etc. They will most likely know what they are doing.

If they just show up with a buffer and carnuba wax, RUN!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
did you get back, or metallic paint?
Not familiar with the option of back or metallic. I was told my only paint related options in black were Black Sapphire and Jet Black.

Quote:
If they just show up with a buffer and carnuba wax, RUN!
That's exactly what he showed up with.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
you should have turned on iron maiden "run for the hills" as you told him to get away from your car
Old 01-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not familiar with the option of back or metallic. I was told my only paint related options in black were Black Sapphire and Jet Black.

That's exactly what he showed up with.
The Black Saphire is the metallic version of black.