Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Account closed at user's request.

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTREPID
The 650i coupe trunk does not close on it's own (unfortunately).

The 650i coupe sunroof only vents (it's a huge sunroof - sliding would be a difficiult to design).
760i trunk closes mechanically with the push of a button, excellent.
the 645ci/650ci 'sunroof' is just a tease.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:33 AM
Nothing witty here

Mein Auto: here
Damn that sunroof. It looked so good too, with that panoramic design!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:51 AM

6 series coupe 'sunroof' is just a vent

thats why we bought the convertible.
now if we can just get BMW do to a clamshell convertible in a luxury model.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:28 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800
Damn that sunroof. It looked so good too, with that panoramic design!
I really like it. I had a 330cic convertible. Almost got the 6 convertible until I saw the sun roof. Gives me all the light I want although not as thrilling as the top down.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650i
For what it's worth, my 650i coupe trunk opens all the way after hitting the remote.

Any update on lowering the chime volume? After watching the "birth of a sportscar" show it appears as if they went to such lengths to make sure nothing would annoy the driver. Well, the chime is too damn loud. It is so obviously annoying they must feel that is important. I understand the loud chime when I've driven down the street and it wants me to buckle up. Fine. But to start chiming right away? Give me a minute to find my sunglasses etc. after starting the car!

While I'm bitching, I miss my old sunroof.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
A N N O Y I N G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicks
For what it's worth, my 650i coupe trunk opens all the way after hitting the remote.

Any update on lowering the chime volume? After watching the "birth of a sportscar" show it appears as if they went to such lengths to make sure nothing would annoy the driver. Well, the chime is too damn loud. It is so obviously annoying they must feel that is important. I understand the loud chime when I've driven down the street and it wants me to buckle up. Fine. But to start chiming right away? Give me a minute to find my sunglasses etc. after starting the car!

While I'm bitching, I miss my old sunroof.
They failed with iDrive. It is annoying, too. While the concept is good and the menu-driven screen and iButton are easy and intuitive, the Windows OS is the worst possible choice and BMW voluntarily chose it. This cannot be good for BMW's reputation. I have already had 1 software upgrade after just 2 months (19.2), and it is proving to be highly unstable (as was 19.02) and that's annoying. I'm getting my CL55 back today. The problem? It, too, needed a software upgrade - after 4+ years - which cost me $160.

BMW are you listening? Vatkens -- take more notes. This is more valuable than a paid focus group. We are real-world owners giving you real-world opinions. And we own the very cars we are writing about.

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 12-23-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:17 AM

Thumbs down trunk wont open first try

got 04 645 ciconvertible back from its first service where they loaded current software,
now after car sits for five minutes unlocked it takes two tries to open trunk, the speed warning chime is very loud and sometimes it defaults back to the radio upon returning to car even though cd had been playing when car was parked, I think i liked the old software better. and whats with the chime being so loud on that car anyway, the loaner they gave me was a new style 5 series and its chime was nice and quiet.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrosso
got 04 645 ciconvertible back from its first service where they loaded current software,
now after car sits for five minutes unlocked it takes two tries to open trunk, the speed warning chime is very loud and sometimes it defaults back to the radio upon returning to car even though cd had been playing when car was parked, I think i liked the old software better. and whats with the chime being so loud on that car anyway, the loaner they gave me was a new style 5 series and its chime was nice and quiet.
I would say you did not get the current version, just a newer version of code than what you previously had installed. Dealers are notorius for installing the minimal version as per CIP bulletins and not giving you the latest. It is up to you to do your due diligence and go to the dealer armed with CIP information to ensure you get the latest version. This issus you decribed are indicative of software versions over a year old.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Jet Black 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang
Yes, but your dad's Taurus trunk will/can pop-open while the car is in motion (i.e. being driven) whereas the BMW KNOWS when your car is in motion will NOT allow the trunk to be opened. BMW designs with safety in mind, and unfortunately this complicates things a bit and it may appear that the damn thing is over enginnered.
I have to agree with the previous poster. The over engineering part doesn't relate to not opening when in motion. It relates to setting off the alarm by pressing the trunk button 1 second too long. I've struggled to think of a scenario whereby I'd be outside my car, next to a "burgler", who for some reason would be wanting me to open my trunk in the first place ...

Let alone a gun to my head and im stupid enough to "pretend" to open the trunk ... and instead an alarm goes off, and a bullet goes into my head when *he* panics. I just don't get the scenario whereby a panic button should be combined with a trunk button. As the guy said, he's set off his own alarm a few times. The logic is you are able to safely trick someone into thinking you're "just trying to open the trunk". But its not a logical scenario.

Last edited by Nevervana; 01-17-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevervana
I have to agree with the previous poster. The over engineering part doesn't relate to not opening when in motion. It relates to setting off the alarm by pressing the trunk button 1 second too long. I've struggled to think of a scenario whereby I'd be outside my car, next to a "burgler", who for some reason would be wanting me to open my trunk in the first place ...

Let alone a gun to my head and im stupid enough to "pretend" to open the trunk ... and instead an alarm goes off, and a bullet goes into my head when *he* panics. I just don't get the scenario whereby a panic button should be combined with a trunk button. As the guy said, he's set off his own alarm a few times. The logic is you are able to safely trick someone into thinking you're "just trying to open the trunk". But its not a logical scenario.

Last edited by chuck92103; 01-17-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:13 PM

04 645ci convertible problems:

the trunk on the convertible only opens manually.
the problem is that when the dealer loaded 'current software' at the one year service after that the trunk wont open unless you push the emblem in twice when before you only had to push it once to open it. i hear that the coup opens with a push of a button on the remote.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Grand Panjandrum

Mein Auto: 325 xit, Active E, 1200RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrosso
the trunk on the convertible only opens manually.
the problem is that when the dealer loaded 'current software' at the one year service after that the trunk wont open unless you push the emblem in twice when before you only had to push it once to open it. i hear that the coup opens with a push of a button on the remote.
Wow - sounds like a step backwards ...
Old 01-18-2006, 07:48 PM

a step into reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch
Wow - sounds like a step backwards ...
what i heard is that since its a convertible there isnt room for all the mechanism to have an automatically opening trunk, thats why the coupe has it and the convertible doesnt.
i solved that problem by buying a 760i so now if i want auto trunk i just drive that and it opens and closes mechanically, only problem is that you cant close it manually and when people try to its irritating and they cant understand the concept.