Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2006, 03:08 AM
jkb's Avatar
jkb jkb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Santa Clara, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 707
Mein Auto: 2006 750i
New kicka$$ nav features - thanks BMW

just got my baby from the 15K service with latest nav ans CIP software on it.

there is a new feature called "Destinations" -- go to 'Information' and you will see a new menu added called 'Travel Information'

its amazing. for two reasons. first is that it has much better categorizations. they are amazing. second, is that you can search inside those categories by a partial name and specify in what radius to search. for example, you can search under 'Shopping' -> 'Home and Garden' for a store which has a string 'dep' in it within X number of miles. and the BEST part is that you can actually call the number from the iDrive.

they even show you restaurants by categories:
American, Asian, European, Fast Food

its like internet yellow pages on steroids in your car. thanks BMW - this new feature is very kicka$$
__________________
2006 750i, European Delivery , De-badged , 20" style 32 BMW wheels , hardwired V1 , Nokia 6230 (fw 5.50) paired and cradled. Options/Pkgs: Sport pkg, Luxury Seating Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Premium Audio Pkg, Comfort Access, Power Rear Shades, Sat radio. European front plate

2003 996 C2 Cab 6spd. Power seats. Heated Seats. Xenon. Bose. SmartTOP. RemoteTOP. ROW-M030. V1. Evo V-Flow. GIAC ECU. Aspheric mirrors. Turbo Bumper. GT3 Console Delete. Tint. SSK. PSE mod. Suncoast headers.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-10-2006, 01:39 PM
bimmer7's Avatar
bimmer7 bimmer7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
Quote:
Originally Posted by yan_745Li
just got my baby from the 15K service with latest nav ans CIP software on it.

there is a new feature called "Destinations" -- go to 'Information' and you will see a new menu added called 'Travel Information'

its amazing. for two reasons. first is that it has much better categorizations. they are amazing. second, is that you can search inside those categories by a partial name and specify in what radius to search. for example, you can search under 'Shopping' -> 'Home and Garden' for a store which has a string 'dep' in it within X number of miles. and the BEST part is that you can actually call the number from the iDrive.

they even show you restaurants by categories:
American, Asian, European, Fast Food

its like internet yellow pages on steroids in your car. thanks BMW - this new feature is very kicka$$
this is not something new yan... my '04 LX470 has it too.... but its nice BMW has this feature as well finally...hehe jks
__________________

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2006, 09:02 PM
kd2789mo kd2789mo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 433
Mein Auto: Radio Flyer Z38/5.7m
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer7
this is not something new yan... my '04 LX470 has it too.... but its nice BMW has this feature as well finally...hehe jks
Agree, frankly BMW is behind-the-times in NAV software.
My Jeep has these features, and also allows destination entry by phone number...linking the entered phone number to the known name/address for confirmation, and then plotting the route.
I had NAV in an ES300, RX300, I30 and now in the Jeep. All of which exceeded the capabilities of my E66 NAV.
It's good, just not great.
__________________
Kd
----------------
04 745Li Silver/Grey, 19" Star, LOGIC7, CWP, Adaptive Cruise, LSP, CP, PDC, Shades, Xenon, Sirius
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2006, 11:49 PM
bimmer7's Avatar
bimmer7 bimmer7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
LX470's NAV

Yup you are right as you can see from these pics its the sad reality of BMW lacking NAV TEchnology
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(1410).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	68108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(1412).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	68109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(1411).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	68110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(1413).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	68111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(1414).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	68112  

__________________

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-2006, 06:28 PM
ssbimmerx5 ssbimmerx5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Bergen County, NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5 3.0i
hey van745, i have a question for you, i just recently got my V1 hardwired..but it won't stay up on the windshield at all..like i tried cleaning the suction cups, and the portion of the windshield where i was mounting the detector. It stays on for a few minutes, maybe more, but then it soon falls off..my car alarm has gone off twice, because of it tripped the interior motion sensor

does yours work fine with the suction cups? any ideas would be appreciated

thanks,

SS
__________________
'03 BMW X5 3.0i - Titanium Silver / Black

[PP, SP, CWP, RCP, Navi, Xenons, V1 Hardwire, 30% Tint, Xenon-Colored Interior/License Plate LEDS, Black/Silver Carbon Fibre Roundels]

Other:

'07 Lexus GS350 AWD
'09 Lexus RX 350
'00 Mercedes Benz E-320 4-Matic
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-2006, 07:11 PM
jkb's Avatar
jkb jkb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Santa Clara, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 707
Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbimmerx5
hey van745, i have a question for you, i just recently got my V1 hardwired..but it won't stay up on the windshield at all..like i tried cleaning the suction cups, and the portion of the windshield where i was mounting the detector. It stays on for a few minutes, maybe more, but then it soon falls off..my car alarm has gone off twice, because of it tripped the interior motion sensor

does yours work fine with the suction cups? any ideas would be appreciated

thanks,

SS
yes, my V1 stays on just fine, but i am already on my second set of suction cups (first ones lasted about 7 months). they dont live forever. try putting a little spit (yes, i know, discussting) inside the plastic suction cup before you press it against the windshield. if it still doesn't work - get new suction cups from V1, they are only a few dollars. V1 comes with spares ones too, so if you still have them, give them a try.
__________________
2006 750i, European Delivery , De-badged , 20" style 32 BMW wheels , hardwired V1 , Nokia 6230 (fw 5.50) paired and cradled. Options/Pkgs: Sport pkg, Luxury Seating Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Premium Audio Pkg, Comfort Access, Power Rear Shades, Sat radio. European front plate

2003 996 C2 Cab 6spd. Power seats. Heated Seats. Xenon. Bose. SmartTOP. RemoteTOP. ROW-M030. V1. Evo V-Flow. GIAC ECU. Aspheric mirrors. Turbo Bumper. GT3 Console Delete. Tint. SSK. PSE mod. Suncoast headers.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-2006, 07:15 PM
jkb's Avatar
jkb jkb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Santa Clara, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 707
Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer7
Yup you are right as you can see from these pics its the sad reality of BMW lacking NAV TEchnology

but i didn't buy my car because of the NAV. i got it for other reasons. NAV is just a nice addition which i use once in a while (and when i do use it, it is for something simple like get me to this address, which works just fine). the new NAV POI (aka Destinations+) is just an extra toy.
__________________
2006 750i, European Delivery , De-badged , 20" style 32 BMW wheels , hardwired V1 , Nokia 6230 (fw 5.50) paired and cradled. Options/Pkgs: Sport pkg, Luxury Seating Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Premium Audio Pkg, Comfort Access, Power Rear Shades, Sat radio. European front plate

2003 996 C2 Cab 6spd. Power seats. Heated Seats. Xenon. Bose. SmartTOP. RemoteTOP. ROW-M030. V1. Evo V-Flow. GIAC ECU. Aspheric mirrors. Turbo Bumper. GT3 Console Delete. Tint. SSK. PSE mod. Suncoast headers.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-2006, 08:12 PM
chowan24 chowan24 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston, MA.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 103
Send a message via AIM to chowan24 Send a message via Yahoo to chowan24
Mein Auto: 745i
German cars are just behind in the NAV category, My dad has a 05 Cayenne Turbo and the Nav suscks but is better than ours , and he has a 05 Carrera 4S that he had then put an alipne nav in because the factory one sucked....
__________________
Rudy Crichlow, Jr.
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
(617) 406-8304
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
jkb's Avatar
jkb jkb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Santa Clara, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 707
Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowan24
German cars are just behind in the NAV category, My dad has a 05 Cayenne Turbo and the Nav suscks but is better than ours , and he has a 05 Carrera 4S that he had then put an alipne nav in because the factory one sucked....
i can understand 7er needing a nav, but a porsche??? what, he couldn't remember how to get to the track? :-)
__________________
2006 750i, European Delivery , De-badged , 20" style 32 BMW wheels , hardwired V1 , Nokia 6230 (fw 5.50) paired and cradled. Options/Pkgs: Sport pkg, Luxury Seating Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Premium Audio Pkg, Comfort Access, Power Rear Shades, Sat radio. European front plate

2003 996 C2 Cab 6spd. Power seats. Heated Seats. Xenon. Bose. SmartTOP. RemoteTOP. ROW-M030. V1. Evo V-Flow. GIAC ECU. Aspheric mirrors. Turbo Bumper. GT3 Console Delete. Tint. SSK. PSE mod. Suncoast headers.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2006, 11:08 PM
kato23's Avatar
kato23 kato23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta GA
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 433
Mein Auto: AMG CL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer7
Yup you are right as you can see from these pics its the sad reality of BMW lacking NAV TEchnology

yeah all those cool features you never use...sure those are great
__________________
Kato3000
My Garage
2004 BMW 645ci convertible
2007 s550 Mercedes Benz
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 CL63 AMG (my fav)
2007 Suzuki GSXR 1000
2000 Hayabusa (painted chromed stretched)
www.freeweblayouts.net
www.myspace.com/kato3000
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-12-2006, 07:04 PM
ssbimmerx5 ssbimmerx5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Bergen County, NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by yan_745Li
yes, my V1 stays on just fine, but i am already on my second set of suction cups (first ones lasted about 7 months). they dont live forever. try putting a little spit (yes, i know, discussting) inside the plastic suction cup before you press it against the windshield. if it still doesn't work - get new suction cups from V1, they are only a few dollars. V1 comes with spares ones too, so if you still have them, give them a try.
thanks for the tip man

im gonna try that..if it doesnt work, then i guess ill have to replace the cups..thanks for your advice.
__________________
'03 BMW X5 3.0i - Titanium Silver / Black

[PP, SP, CWP, RCP, Navi, Xenons, V1 Hardwire, 30% Tint, Xenon-Colored Interior/License Plate LEDS, Black/Silver Carbon Fibre Roundels]

Other:

'07 Lexus GS350 AWD
'09 Lexus RX 350
'00 Mercedes Benz E-320 4-Matic
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-12-2006, 11:35 PM
bimmer7's Avatar
bimmer7 bimmer7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
__________________

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold

Last edited by bimmer7; 02-12-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-12-2006, 11:36 PM
bimmer7's Avatar
bimmer7 bimmer7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
.....
__________________

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold

Last edited by bimmer7; 02-12-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-12-2006, 11:36 PM
bimmer7's Avatar
bimmer7 bimmer7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
Quote:
Originally Posted by kato23
yeah all those cool features you never use...sure those are great
Thats what you think buddy. . . .
When you want to look for a nice decent place to eat in a NEW City or Town ... whats better then starting off with what kind of food you like Italian, Indian, Chinese etc. I mean trust me it pays off to have these cool features....
Face it buddy Lexus does have a better NAV system then BMW's...
I drive both cars and I find myself better directed by my lexus nav then my bmw's
__________________

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-12-2006, 11:43 PM
jkb's Avatar
jkb jkb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Santa Clara, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 707
Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer7
Thats what you think buddy. . . .
When you want to look for a nice decent place to eat in a NEW City or Town ... whats better then starting off with what kind of food you like Italian, Indian, Chinese etc. I mean trust me it pays off to have these cool features....
Did you read my original post? That is exactly what i have now in my 750!

However, i highly doubt i'll ever use it.
__________________
2006 750i, European Delivery , De-badged , 20" style 32 BMW wheels , hardwired V1 , Nokia 6230 (fw 5.50) paired and cradled. Options/Pkgs: Sport pkg, Luxury Seating Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Premium Audio Pkg, Comfort Access, Power Rear Shades, Sat radio. European front plate

2003 996 C2 Cab 6spd. Power seats. Heated Seats. Xenon. Bose. SmartTOP. RemoteTOP. ROW-M030. V1. Evo V-Flow. GIAC ECU. Aspheric mirrors. Turbo Bumper. GT3 Console Delete. Tint. SSK. PSE mod. Suncoast headers.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-12-2006, 11:47 PM
bimmer7's Avatar
bimmer7 bimmer7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
Quote:
Originally Posted by yan_745Li
Did you read my original post? That is exactly what i have now in my 750!

However, i highly doubt i'll ever use it.
Did you jus read who I replied too when I said that?

I was replying too kato23's post about how these cool NAV features are never for anygood use... which IMO he is clearly wrong in saying...

Because if you travel around or go to places you want to know whats on the menu before you decide to eat theRE!

I know you have those features finally in the '06 750 I mean when else would you have them by???

the next 7series model change? jks....

Anyways thats great that the 7 has competing nav tech thats coming closer to japanese brands like lexus and acura....
__________________

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1998 M3 = 540i = 740i = 20K rumratt General BMW 36 01-12-2007 07:26 PM
6er Benefit & Good Bye Party for GrahamBishop Malibubimmer E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) 131 02-02-2006 12:12 AM
Bmw Team Ptg Names M3 Drivers For 2006 American Le Mans Series tim330i Motorsports, Racing & Track 4 01-30-2006 02:41 PM
THE NEW BMW 1 SERIES with Photos (BMW Press Release) pixA4 E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013) 27 09-29-2004 07:50 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms