Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Thinking of Changing to lighter aftermarket wheels. Good idea?

Just wanted to get some input before I plan on saving and then pulling the trigger. Presently rolling on stock ZHP wheels with run-flats and have been wanting to get lighter wheels (and of course lose the RFTs)... thinking Kinesis F110 (19 x 8.5, weight 18lbs) with PS2s or TR-1s.

Good idea, or not? Will it ruin the appearance of the car?

Thanks in advance for helping me through my indecisiveness.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Using run flats in conjunction with ZHP wheel makes for a superheavy combination.

Runflats are heavier than their standard counterparts. Plus, the supension needs to optimized for runflats. No wonder you want to get rid of them.

Last edited by LDV330i; 02-20-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:18 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Reducing unsprung weight (particularly *rotating* unsprung weight) is one of the best ways to improve your car`s handling.

Regards,
Bob
Old 02-21-2006, 10:59 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel-man
Presently rolling on stock ZHP wheels with run-flats and have been wanting to get lighter wheels (and of course lose the RFTs)... thinking Kinesis F110 (19 x 8.5, weight 18lbs) with PS2s or TR-1s.
I've heard good things about the Kinesis, except the price. If you're ready to swallow that type of cost to shed some pounds, then I guess they're worth it - just don't expect a night and day difference.

I currently run a winter wheel setup which is considerably lighter than the stock ZHP wheels and yes, I can tell a difference - but I would not be prepared to pay in excess of $3000 to duplicate the feeling for the summer days.

Just be advised that an 18" wheel would work best. The 19" Kinesis may still be light, but the tires will be heavier than the 18" ones and your overall weight saving will be diminished. I also think 19" wheels are not as strong as the 18".

If you want maximum weight saving, try the 18" Kinesis with Toyos.

adc
03 330 ZHP
Old 02-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Saving weight is a great idea. I had an E39 530i with 18" Hamann HM2's and S-03's. They weighed about 54# per corner with 50% tread left. Before I sold it I put the stock 17" setup back on after weighing them - they were about 46# per corner. I must say, dropping those 8# per corner had a major positive impact on accelleration and road feel.

For the ZHP, the stock wheels are about 26# each, give or take. The PS1's are maybe 24# or so for a total of 50# per corner. I'm looking at wheels that are about 23# each and PS2's which are probably the same weight as the PS1's. I probably won't see a huge difference, but any savings is good.

Now, if you can get a 17# wheel like the SSR Comps, well, now we're talking. I think that would be a huge gain. Since they're being discontinued, I'm avoiding wheels I won't be able to get replacements for. Stuff happens when they are your daily driver wheels. I'm also not looking to drop $3k-4k on a set either, again, stuff happens.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 02-21-2006, 11:52 AM
BMW Fahrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826
For the ZHP, the stock wheels are about 26# each, give or take. The PS1's are maybe 24# or so for a total of 50# per corner. I'm looking at wheels that are about 23# each and PS2's which are probably the same weight as the PS1's. I probably won't see a huge difference, but any savings is good.

Now, if you can get a 17# wheel like the SSR Comps, well, now we're talking. I think that would be a huge gain. Since they're being discontinued, I'm avoiding wheels I won't be able to get replacements for. Stuff happens when they are your daily driver wheels. I'm also not looking to drop $3k-4k on a set either, again, stuff happens.
For 1lbs difference per corner you simply won't notice, IMO. What wheels did you have in mind, if you don't mind sharing...

I've also heard some bad things about the SSR's strength - some people call them "Super Soft Rims" I believe...

I was looking to get some track wheels like one of these:
- Kosei K1 Racing (17x8.5", 16.8lbs, $200)
- OZ Superleggera (18x9", 19lbs, $285)
These can fit in a $2k budget (less if you can resell the OEM ones), provide a significant weight reduction, and possibly be strong enough for daily driving.

adc
03 330 ZHP
Old 02-22-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
For 1lbs difference per corner you simply won't notice, IMO. What wheels did you have in mind, if you don't mind sharing...

I've also heard some bad things about the SSR's strength - some people call them "Super Soft Rims" I believe...

These can fit in a $2k budget (less if you can resell the OEM ones), provide a significant weight reduction, and possibly be strong enough for daily driving.

adc
03 330 ZHP
Thinking of either Kinesis F110 (http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/f110.htm) or
ForgeLine ZX3-R (http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/).
Old 02-22-2006, 10:21 AM
BMW Fahrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel-man
Thinking of either Kinesis F110 (http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/f110.htm) or
ForgeLine ZX3-R (http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/).
Hell yeah!

If it were me, I'd go for the cleaner look of the Kinesis, assuming everything else is the same (money, strength).

On the other hand, you can specify the color for the Forgelines, and I have long wanted a nice set of gunmetal or charcoal grey wheels...

Either way, I doubt you can go wrong... have you posted on the Race/Motorsport forum? Those guys may have something to say about wheel strength etc.

adc
03 330 ZHP
Old 02-22-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Hell yeah!

If it were me, I'd go for the cleaner look of the Kinesis, assuming everything else is the same (money, strength).

On the other hand, you can specify the color for the Forgelines, and I have long wanted a nice set of gunmetal or charcoal grey wheels...

Either way, I doubt you can go wrong... have you posted on the Race/Motorsport forum? Those guys may have something to say about wheel strength etc.

adc
03 330 ZHP
Not a bad idea... thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc

adc
03 330 ZHP
You're right, the main reason I'm considering a switch is style and ease of cleaning. I'm looking at ASA JH8's, nice open 5-spoke design and about $200 per corner. SSRs I believe are being discontinued so I rather avoid them. I killed a couple Rondell R72's on my former car and they were discontinued when I went to get replacements, had to buy 4 new wheels. . Kosei K1's not available in 18" either.

Slim pickin's in the price and weight range, and I also want to keep them staggered. I dig a wheel with some lip!!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 02-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Jayhawk

According to Tirerack, SSR's are coming back. They are again listed on the site with availablity this spring.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 PM
BMW Fahrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826
Slim pickin's in the price and weight range, and I also want to keep them staggered. I dig a wheel with some lip!!
Well I was thinking of using a non-staggered setup, but using the rear wheel width in the front. That should pretty much eliminate understeer, and should improve turn-in too...

I just wonder if I need to worry about different offsets...

adc
03 330 ZHP